Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 07:58 PM

15 posts, read 40,595 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
We are a family of 4 with 2 young daughters(18 months and 5 years old). We currently live in Las Vegas but are considering a move to Park City since my husband has to be in SLC for work a lot. My husband actually grew up in the Salt Lake/Sandy area and we used to live in Draper about 5 years ago. We did not feel like it was "a good fit" for us. We are not LDS and felt like outcasts a lot of times. I sure don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this board but we just do not feel like we were ever 100% accepted in the Salt Lake area. Now that we have 2 youngs kids, I worry about them growing up feeling that way. For all these reasons, the only place we would consider in UT would be Park City. Is it really a different atmosphere there? I have been there several times but do not know anyone who has actually lived there. Is the LDS influence the same up in Park City or is it more diverse/liberal? I really appreciate your help, from all perspectives!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 11:25 PM

602 posts, read 1,865,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvegas View Post
Hi Everyone,
We are a family of 4 with 2 young daughters(18 months and 5 years old). We currently live in Las Vegas but are considering a move to Park City since my husband has to be in SLC for work a lot. My husband actually grew up in the Salt Lake/Sandy area and we used to live in Draper about 5 years ago. We did not feel like it was "a good fit" for us. We are not LDS and felt like outcasts a lot of times. I sure don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this board but we just do not feel like we were ever 100% accepted in the Salt Lake area. Now that we have 2 youngs kids, I worry about them growing up feeling that way. For all these reasons, the only place we would consider in UT would be Park City. Is it really a different atmosphere there? I have been there several times but do not know anyone who has actually lived there. Is the LDS influence the same up in Park City or is it more diverse/liberal? I really appreciate your help, from all perspectives!
Thanks!!
I haven't lived there either, but when I was there, it was a whole different feeling there and the people were so welcoming and friendly

Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM

835 posts, read 2,068,397 times
I moved there in 92 and just moved down to SLC a little over a year ago. The main reason that we left PC was due to the changes we experienced and that PC went thru in the 15 years that we called PC home.
It used to be-and more importantly had-a small town feel. During the last 10 years, growth, development and the "me first" attitude really started to rub us the wrong way. I always found a sense of irony that people moved to Park City to get away from things that bothered them in the areas they were leaving and then complained about what was not in Park City! Did we really need a Home Depot when there was a lumber yard and a hardware store already there? Is there really a need for a St Regis, a Waldorf Astoria and a Montage? The Stein Erickson Lodge, Chateaux, Hotel Park City and the Grand Summit were rarely at full occupancy and now, all properties are bound to struggle with fewer visitors. The last time I read the stats in the local paper, something along the lines of 64% of the homes are not occupied year round and more than 70% of the workforce drives to PC as it is fairly expensive to live there. For a population of less than 7400 within the city limits, then add in the "greater snyderville basin" of about 24000-add up to some crazy traffic in such a small community and more importantly, it is difficult to feel a sense of community when more than half the neighborhood is only home 2 times a year.

We have one child that was born during the PC days-true, the LDS influence is less but I found that there were other way more challenging issues-how come I didn't get a BMW,Lexus-etc for my birthday? How come David and his family get to go to Hawaii for a month and we don't? Justin's mom and dad are gone to LA again-can I spend the night over there-oh,wait, there will be booze and prescription drugs there too. For us, the amount of excess,sense of entitlement and lack of responsibility just was something that we grew tired of-and that was not just coming from the developers!
I do miss the neighborhood that we were in-and some of my neighbors too-but our life has improved 10 fold since we landed in Millcreek.
Funny thing is our property taxes are higher here, not a huge difference but we found that to be a surprise. We do have some LDS neighbors-and I am at the point in my life where I just don't let anything bother me anymore-well, clutter still gets me crazy on occasion but religion and a lot of the Utah quirks are not even on my radar. I am not saying that I would have left PC to move just anywhere in the Valley-but we are thrilled with the choice that we made in leaving Park City and living down here.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:58 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,162,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexvegas View Post
Hi Everyone,
We are a family of 4 with 2 young daughters(18 months and 5 years old). We currently live in Las Vegas but are considering a move to Park City since my husband has to be in SLC for work a lot. My husband actually grew up in the Salt Lake/Sandy area and we used to live in Draper about 5 years ago. We did not feel like it was "a good fit" for us. We are not LDS and felt like outcasts a lot of times. I sure don't mean to be disrespectful to anyone on this board but we just do not feel like we were ever 100% accepted in the Salt Lake area.
I just don't understand that feeling. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. We have four little kids and we never feel like an outcast. If anything I notice people go out of their way to be accepting. We have LDS and non-LDS friends here. Maybe Daybreak is just different.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I just don't understand that feeling. Maybe I just don't pay enough attention. We have four little kids and we never feel like an outcast. If anything I notice people go out of their way to be accepting. We have LDS and non-LDS friends here. Maybe Daybreak is just different.
Location probably does play a factor and I'm really glad you've had such a great experience here. I think people are just people and you get good and bad apples no matter the religion. I do feel there are some practices within the church that can potentially contribute to negative behavior on the part of the members, but overall I'm convinced it has more to do with the people and not the practice. My best friend is an LDS convert and lives in Las Vegas(which is 25% LDS believe it or not!). Her brother and sister-in-law live in Provo. I've never met him but her sister-in-law is great as are her parents. She has been LDS her whole life and they are originally from Wyoming. The rest of her husband's family however I could do without including the rest of the women that married in. His mother was very nice, but she to this day treats my friend like crap....she's very two-faced. They were never nice to her as her and her now husband were dating, and to a large extent still are not because I think they look down on her for her previous lifestyle. When her parents and I drove all the way out there for her wedding (she had some sort of ceremony after the temple) they were not nice or welcoming. Even her new LDS friends (save one who was awesome) I did not care for. They basically didn't want anything to do with you if you were not a part of the church, and it was blatantly obvious. I know that the church does not teach this behavior and to be honest the LDS folks I've met here in Utah are way nicer than the ones I've encountered outside of the state. You can't necessarily label this behavior as due to the religion however. If you met these same people that I've described in another area or place, you would just see them as a**holes and not even think twice about their beliefs and where they go to church. I've also noticed that it's a different mentality out here in the west and I don't think that it has anything to do with religion. My friend described it as "people out west and on the west coast are more private". It's not that people aren't friendly, because they are, but it's just a different friendly and it's more difficult to form relationships with others. I can't really put my finger on it, but it's a whole lot easier to describe to someone who's from the south because most of them after living out in this part of the U.S. notice the difference as well.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
Stereotypes develop around a kernel of truth. Southerners are friendly and everyone helps each other b/c they lived on small farms and didn't have much. Westerners lived on big ranches and had to be self-sufficient, although still friendly and helpful, just not as ready to welcome you into their life. While most people who live in those regions today didn't experience those conditions, their parents, grandparents did and the community had that vibe which they adjusted to.

Just a stereotypical way of looking at things!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Stereotypes develop around a kernel of truth. Southerners are friendly and everyone helps each other b/c they lived on small farms and didn't have much. Westerners lived on big ranches and had to be self-sufficient, although still friendly and helpful, just not as ready to welcome you into their life. While most people who live in those regions today didn't experience those conditions, their parents, grandparents did and the community had that vibe which they adjusted to.

Just a stereotypical way of looking at things!
I think that's a great way to put it.....not that every single person is this way, but there is definitely a different vibe out here

Old 12-28-2009, 03:50 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,902,516 times
PKC to SLC is not a fun commute. Especially in the Winter. PKC would be a beautiful place to live but it would be hard to keep up with the Joneses because most of them are quite wealthy. Average people can feel out of place there. The LDS thing is brought up over and over and I find it hard to understand. I'm not LDS BTW. Anywhere you live today, there will be groups of people who will not welcome you or include you in their society. It's just part of life. It can be religious, socioeconomic, race, or even gender based. Everyone has to live in this world so it's something we all need to learn to survive. I lived a lot of years in Utah and I have many LDS friends and know a lot of wonderful people. The only discrimination I ever saw was in hiring preferences in small to medium size companies privately owned by LDS folks. I just accepted this and moved on.

I think it would be harder to explain to my kids why they had to do their own chores. Why we don't have a housekeeper. And why they aren't getting a new Escalade for their 16th birthday.

If I was in your situation, I would search for a home in SLC on the east side. Millcreek is a great idea.

Old 12-28-2009, 06:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,578,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I think it would be harder to explain to my kids why they had to do their own chores. Why we don't have a housekeeper. And why they aren't getting a new Escalade for their 16th birthday.

Very true from what I've heard from people who used to live there.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:09 PM

15 posts, read 40,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
PKC to SLC is not a fun commute. Especially in the Winter. PKC would be a beautiful place to live but it would be hard to keep up with the Joneses because most of them are quite wealthy. Average people can feel out of place there. The LDS thing is brought up over and over and I find it hard to understand. I'm not LDS BTW. Anywhere you live today, there will be groups of people who will not welcome you or include you in their society. It's just part of life. It can be religious, socioeconomic, race, or even gender based. Everyone has to live in this world so it's something we all need to learn to survive. I lived a lot of years in Utah and I have many LDS friends and know a lot of wonderful people. The only discrimination I ever saw was in hiring preferences in small to medium size companies privately owned by LDS folks. I just accepted this and moved on.

If I was in your situation, I would search for a home in SLC on the east side. Millcreek is a great idea.
Like I said in my first post, Park City is the only place we are considering in UT as we already lived in the Salt Lake suburbs, and my husband knows the Salt Lake valley inside out as he lived there from birth to age 23. The commute doesn't bother him, he is commuting SLC to Vegas right now so SLC-PC is nothing compared to that for him. I love hearing everyone different views on the matter though, thanks!! Keep it coming!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area