U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:36 AM

60 posts, read 119,337 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone, I work for an airline and just got the word that I might be getting a new base in Salt Lake City. We currently live in Minnesota and am wondering where a good place for me and my wife to settle down would be. We are both in our 20's non LDS but are not one of the people who does not want to live near any of them. We are very active and love the outdoors and would like to live as close to the mountains or in them if there are places as we can. Must not be longer then a 1:30 minute commute to the Salt Lake City Int. Airport. Please suggest some citys or areas for us so we can go check them out! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 12:01 PM

19,565 posts, read 52,998,872 times
Are you renting or buying? What is your budget for housing?

Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 PM

21,009 posts, read 20,618,644 times
Hi, Mesabi! I saw your thread and felt like I needed to jump in right away to offer you some assistance. I think it was the "Help!" that got my attention. I kind of sensed some desperation that wasn't really there. LOL!

Another thing to consider besides whether you're going to be renting or buying and what your budget is, is whether you would prefer to live in a newer home or an older one. Knowing that would make a big difference in what areas I'd recommend to you. And by "newer" I don't really mean "new." It's just that most homes built prior to the late '60s or early '70s had detached garages, whereas those built more recently have a garage with an entry going right into the home. In snowy weather, some of us consider this a huge plus. Others don't seem to care much one way or the other.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Well I would be buying for sure with a budget of 200K to around 350K. I dont really care about newer or older although I would prefer newer I suppose. I am more interested in being in an outdoors area and also maybe be able to have a larger yard for our dogs! Thanks for the help so far.

Old 01-22-2010, 11:40 PM

427 posts, read 1,117,828 times
Cottonwood Heights and Holliday might be appealing. Right up on the eastern benches of the mountain, and close to Salt Lake and SLI. Lots of nice houses there.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Thanks for the help MrAnderson both areas look nice!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 AM

21,009 posts, read 20,618,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
Cottonwood Heights and Holliday might be appealing. Right up on the eastern benches of the mountain, and close to Salt Lake and SLI. Lots of nice houses there.
I have lived in Cottonwood Heights for almost 28 years, and love it here. I have lived in the Salt Lake City area all my life (61 years) so I am at least familiar with most of the areas you might be considering. I am literally 5 minutes away from the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon (where you will find excellent hiking, climbing, and of course skiing). I can be on the Interstate heading either west or north (i.e. towards the airport or downtown SLC) within 5 minutes as well. The drive from my house to the airport generally takes 25 - 30 minutes.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:30 PM
mlb

2,658 posts, read 2,541,627 times
Welcome, Minnesota. You'll find you'll love our winters over those in the Midwest.

Nothing like powdery snow. It has the graciousness to melt before you have to shovel it!~

Signed,

Originally from Wisconsin....

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM

56 posts, read 177,202 times
I was going to say Cottonwood Heights or Holladay as well. They're right on the mountain and both have very close access to canyons and trails (Millcreek Canyon, Little Cottonwood, Big Cottonwood canyons). Anywhere on the east side of the valley will have a little bit lower LDS density (except if you move further south, like Sandy). I lived in SLC for 29 years and Holladay is my favorite place. The homes are a little older (built in the 60's-ish) so you can get a little more house for your money.

Another place to consider would be Sugar House. It has a similar proximity to the canyons but a little more personality and charm than either Holladay or Cottonwood Heights. The homes are older and smaller but have a lot of character. It's also closer to downtown and there are LOTS of people in your age range, married and unmarried alike. I love Sugarhouse.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:32 PM

4 posts, read 14,880 times
Mr. Anderson,
We're planning on moving to Cottonwood Heights 'cause we love to ski. What (if any) is your experience w/ the Cottonwood Heights school system? We're not sure if we should be considering
public or private schools for our 4th grader. We don't want to move her around but would like to have her go all the way thru high school w/ the same peer group (skiiers)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area