U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:57 PM

2,180 posts, read 4,992,192 times

Advertisements

Having access to alcohol isn't a factor for me, as I very rarely drink. I can easily do without it.

I've read about the smog problem, and tend to wonder how it compares to places like L.A. and elsewhere. I mean, is it so bad that you can't see the mountains clearly, and you gasp for air while walking in the park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 05:08 PM

20 posts, read 54,605 times
I have been living in orange county, CA and lived in SLC for an year before that and I'd choose SLC any day. If only they had good job market I'd move back in a second. The smog is nothing to worry about. Almost every kind of recreation you can think of apt for the season is available in SLC and in < 1 hr drive from where ever you live. Just make sure you have a 4 wheel drive, just in case.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 12,322 times
Default Salt Lake won't compare with Oregon

Salt Lake is green about 2 weeks of the year. It's dirt brown almost all year round, except when the mountains are covered with the white stuff--and then you can't always see them through the smog--it's worse here than in LA. If my wife would let me, I'd take Oregon any day for scenery. But SLC does have hiking, mountain biking, and other outdoorsy stuff, but no scenery that can compare with places outside the mountain west--unless brown is your favourite colour.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM

^The brown truly doesn't bother me. As I've said before, I live around so much green and overgrowth, it looks a bit too wild at times, and messy. I'm actually kinda interested in a more sparsely forested landscape. But this smog you guys keep speaking of.....that may get to me a bit. I really want to be able to take some great nature photos, and I'm concerned about how the air quality would affect the clarity of the photos, as well as being able to breathe freely outside.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:03 AM

7,731 posts, read 12,177,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
Having access to alcohol isn't a factor for me, as I very rarely drink. I can easily do without it.

I've read about the smog problem, and tend to wonder how it compares to places like L.A. and elsewhere. I mean, is it so bad that you can't see the mountains clearly, and you gasp for air while walking in the park?
I think that might be a bit dramatic about gasping for air in the park.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:30 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,805,943 times
SLC can definitely have some "brown-air" days in the summer--I'm there infrequently, but have seen them several times when I have been in town. In winter, as others have posted, air quality can be bad and stay that way for days at a time. For me, that would be the biggest single "downer" about SLC. When the air is clear, the setting is unbelievable.

One of the "dirty little secrets" about many Rocky Mountain West cities and towns is that they have significant air pollution problems. Many of them are located in valleys subject to air inversions, especially in winter. The "brown cloud" is a fairly common occurence on the Wasatch Front, Colorado's Front Range, and many other smaller towns, as well. Clean air and gorgeous mountain vistas may be the norm for many rural areas in the Rocky Mountain West, but--in the places where most of the people live--the reality is usually is a little different.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:11 AM

2,160 posts, read 6,703,729 times
You just described the Wasatch front perfectly. Its also cheaper to live here than Denver.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
I think that might be a bit dramatic about gasping for air in the park.
Perhaps. I don't mean a "turning blue, sucking-the-life-out-of-you" struggle to breathe. I'm just talking about general problems for people who are asthmatic, etc...

Old 06-26-2007, 04:00 PM

10 posts, read 21,531 times
Smile Smoke/Fog

well the smog during the winter inversions is similar to the smog in southern california. The mornings are "Foggy"(which looks like you are on top of the clouds from the mountains) until about noon when the sun burns off the fog and the brown haze is there. the smog gets trapped between the mountains in the valleys up to about 5-6000 feet. the valleys are at approx. 4500 feet. the best way to escape it is to go skiiing or snow shoeing or other activities in the mountains. a few days a year the air is bad enough to affect people with lung disease and they are suggested to stay inside. right now it is bad because of wildfires but that clears up fairly quickly. I am slightly asthmatic but have no real problems with air quality because most winter sports are in the mountains or indoor(i.e. Skiing, snow shoeing, soccer, basketball.)

Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 1,616 times
Default smog/inversion

With regards the winter smog/inversion problem I think that while it is bad, the problem is no where even close to the smog that I grew up around continuously in southern california. The best way to deal with it is to get off the couch and go up into the mountains where you will experience glorious blue skies and, strangely enough, warmer temperatures. The skiing in salt lake is unbeatable and the snow is unmatchable. You'll get all of the nature photos that you can bear to take. Besides that you'll meet some of the neatest people in the canyons and at the resorts. The Wasatch Mountain Club is a great way to meet people and be introduced to all of the hikes that are available in the area. I say forget about Denver and come out here. While zions and southern utah is about a 5-6 hr drive, you can get to Moab where Arches and Canyonlands are located in 3.5hrs and all the way out having a spectacular drive. Besides those parks you are very close to all kinds of white water rafting/kayaking in Utah, Idaho, Colorado, and Montana. There is TONS of climbing to be had, Mtn bike trails galore, a hip arts/music scene and a very famous film festival in Park City. In Salt Lake city you are within 30-45 min of (count them) 7 world class ski resorts! I think Denver has a tough time measuring up when it comes to recreation!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or