U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM

54 posts, read 37,710 times

Advertisements

I'm a Freshman at Monroe High School in Monroe, MI. Me and my dad are planning a move to the SLC area when school gets out. I have been reading the forum but can't seem to find out anything about the highschools and the people my age (i'm 14, male). I'm not mormon, and I read on the forum that they have mormon buildings for study attached to the school, is this enforced studying?

Does anybody know if I would be treated differently or rejected by the kids because im not mormon?

And while replying, any thoughts on the city??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:59 PM

128 posts, read 209,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
I'm a Freshman at Monroe High School in Monroe, MI. Me and my dad are planning a move to the SLC area when school gets out. I have been reading the forum but can't seem to find out anything about the highschools and the people my age (i'm 14, male). I'm not mormon, and I read on the forum that they have mormon buildings for study attached to the school, is this enforced studying?

Does anybody know if I would be treated differently or rejected by the kids because im not mormon?

And while replying, any thoughts on the city??

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!
HI fellow Michigander
I moved out here almost 2 years ago from Michigan. I have two boys, 9 & 13 years old.
We live in Tooele, which is about 35 miles outside of SLC.

As far as I know, there are no mormon buildings attached to the schools, but there are quite a few that are near school buildings. And no, that is not enforced studying.
My boys have both been asked whether or not they were Mormon when we first moved out here, and sometimes it is a problem, but my 13 yr old has a lot of friends and now he's ok with everything. My 9 year old has been told by a few of the kids in the neighborhood that they can't play with him because we are not Mormon, but he has friends as well.

So, yes, rejection is possible from other kids that are ONLY worried about being a mormon, but I hope it's not a huge issue for you.
Do you know what area you and your dad will be moving to? There are areas that have a higher concentration of mormons/non mormons than others.

Maybe you should talk to my 13 yr old to get a perspective from his point of view. I'll see if I can get him to post to your thread.
Good luck with the move!

Old 02-01-2010, 02:08 PM

2,421 posts, read 5,604,353 times
The buildings are for seminary. They are not attached to the schools, but rather located within walking distance (usually across the street) for anyone that wishes to take that course as an elective. It is ONLY an elective and not required for anyone to take or as a needed course to graduate.

I have two daughters (9, 13) and we are not LDS. They have plenty of friends that are LDS and not.

We also live in Tooele County. I am sure my 13 year old daughter would be happy to post her perspective on things and answer some questions also, if you would like more than one point of view.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:15 PM

20,544 posts, read 20,163,249 times
www and katydid,

That's really nice of both of you to ask your kids to reply to this thread. I'm sure rltluke will really appreciate that. Of course there are a lot of LDS parents here on CD, but what rltluke really needs is to hear from non-LDS kids his age.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:03 PM

498 posts, read 1,174,481 times
There's a wide variety of schools around here. It's just important that you keep in mind that making new friends in a new neighborhood can be tough, but well worth it once you do, so don't give up if you're not immediately integrated into your new environment (which you probably won't be). That being said, there's also a point where you need to consider switching schools, because they're not all the same. I've heard of several people who had gone from school to school for one reason or another, and eventually found one they felt at home in. If it's absolutely miserable, even after you do all you can to make good friends, then you ought to try another school. Every school has its quirks. Students from other schools generally portray students from my school as snobbish and stuck-up (although when they come here, they usually see that that's not true). Other schools have drug problems. Others have clique problems. Others have ethnic tension. You name the problem, there'll be a school around here that has it.

At my school (Olympus), nobody could give a crap about whether you're mormon or not. The "you're mormon so we can't be friends" mentality usually ends in grade school, when kids realize that nobody ever told them they couldn't be friends with people who are different. All it really is is a false dogma that a few ignorant kids come up with on their own, and occasionally use as an excuse if they don't want to be your friend for some other reason. You shouldn't have that problem in high school.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:10 PM

Okay, and thanks to everybody, I just had some concerns scince the mormon influence is so strong out there. We're not really sure on what city exactly, just that area, but we have been looking at the Tooele area. But basically, we don't care and are willing to move anywhere around there. Basically where ever my dad can find a job and a cheap apt., and obviously an okay school. But I don't get why people are so worried about what religion you are, why are people so concerned about it??

And what is Tooele like, things to do, schools, etc??

Thanks.

Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 PM

2,421 posts, read 5,604,353 times
Eh, Tooele actually lacks in the "things to do" department, especially for young people. If you are into sports, the schools have a pretty good sports department. There are 3 high schools in the Tooele area. Tooele High, Grantsville High and Stansbury High. Stansbury is brand new, having just opened this school year. Tooele was recently renovated in the past few years.

Here are a few comments from my 13 year old:
Hi
I live in Stansbury Park, which is a community in Tooele County. As my mom said above, I am not LDS, but I have not really had many issues involving myself not being Mormon. Many people ask if I am, and they look surprised when i say no, but there have been no major issues because of me not being LDS. The prejudice against non-mormons usually ends in grade school.

As for activities in Tooele, we have a movie theater, and a walmart (which is great for making the employees mad-cheap and easy entertainment) most of the schools have after school activities. Stansbury High has after school drama classes if you are interested in that. We also have an indoor swimming pool and a library in tooele. The Stansbury Park Community is planning on making a recreation center sometime in the future. We also have a outdoor swimming pool in Stansbury. We have couple food joints within walking distance in Stansbury. There is a pretty little lake for fishing, swimming, boating, etc in Stansbury also. If you have any questions, just ask!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:20 AM

427 posts, read 1,107,029 times
The mormon thing definitely isn't as much as a factor as you initially seemed worried about. They're humans like everyone else Also, the Salt Lake area (city, county, and metro) is very mixed with religion, diversity, etc. Just avoid the typical 'bad' areas, with higher crime rates, gangs, etc. and you should be fine.

Tooele is a little 'country' as they might say, and not right within the Salt Lake Valley, but some do like it. Do you know where your dad will be working location wise?

Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM

Well not exactly, my dad has 4 years of college, and he has 3 years of waiter exp. He's working out now so he can get a Physicall Trainer job (if even possible) so we can get more money for moving out here. But we arent familiar with the area whatsoever, we've never been west of the Mississippi. We don't have any idea about the jobs or anything, just anything we can find (any suggestions?)

Tooele sound good (as we like the more "country" setting), but how is the job availability there?

And any comments on the air? I hear about that all the time (as one of the cons) Alot of people say they stay inside and thats it's one of the worst in the country, is it unhealthy, does it smell bad, etc?

Is there any affordable places to rent there?

Thanks!!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM

6,652 posts, read 6,991,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltluke View Post
Well not exactly, my dad has 4 years of college, and he has 3 years of waiter exp. He's working out now so he can get a Physicall Trainer job (if even possible) so we can get more money for moving out here. But we arent familiar with the area whatsoever, we've never been west of the Mississippi. We don't have any idea about the jobs or anything, just anything we can find (any suggestions?)

Tooele sound good (as we like the more "country" setting), but how is the job availability there?

And any comments on the air? I hear about that all the time (as one of the cons) Alot of people say they stay inside and thats it's one of the worst in the country, is it unhealthy, does it smell bad, etc?

Is there any affordable places to rent there?

Thanks!!
I don't know what you consider affordable but I know someone who rented a 2 bedroom nice apartment in Clearfield for $725 a month. I rent a 4 bedroom house in Daybreak (South Jordan) for $1500.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area