U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 11:08 PM

2 posts, read 9,411 times

Advertisements

My husband and have lived in Draper for 7 years now. I like the area except that it seems we are pretty much the only non-Mormons in the neighborhood. Nothing against the beliefs but I would just love to meet some like minded people who I could have a glass of wine with or who won't look at me with judgement because I enjoy a cup of coffee.

I've found it more difficult after having my son because there are a lot of kids in my neighborhood but none of their moms are interested in getting to know us once they became aware that our beliefs differ. It's sad and it sucks. I've tried some mommy groups but to be completely honest I usually feel like an outsider, again because of the religious discussions, etc. So, any suggestions how a young, non-mormon, responsible but still fun mommy can make some new girlfriends?? I'm kinda getting a bit lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 PM

6,801 posts, read 7,365,387 times
I wonder if I just live in a unique area, we have plenty of non-Mormon and Mormon friends. We have at least one Mormon kid over a week and our kids go to Mormon houses all the time. My wife’s best friend here is Mormon.

Our community has a wine club, we found it on Facebook, check your town out.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:47 PM

19,822 posts, read 55,990,399 times
Try www.Meetup.com to find a group you might like. They might or might not be in Draper but if folks like the same activity or sport or whatever, it gives you a basis for friendship. I also go to my local county aquatic center 3xweek for a swim class (indoor pool of course) and made friends there, too. Good luck!

Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM

21,958 posts, read 22,109,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishnikki View Post
My husband and have lived in Draper for 7 years now. I like the area except that it seems we are pretty much the only non-Mormons in the neighborhood. Nothing against the beliefs but I would just love to meet some like minded people who I could have a glass of wine with or who won't look at me with judgement because I enjoy a cup of coffee.

I've found it more difficult after having my son because there are a lot of kids in my neighborhood but none of their moms are interested in getting to know us once they became aware that our beliefs differ. It's sad and it sucks. I've tried some mommy groups but to be completely honest I usually feel like an outsider, again because of the religious discussions, etc. So, any suggestions how a young, non-mormon, responsible but still fun mommy can make some new girlfriends?? I'm kinda getting a bit lonely.
The vice president of my company (who is Catholic) and his wife (who is Presbyterian) live in Draper. You are definitely not the only non-LDS couple in the area. I wish I could give you some advise on how to hook up with some of the non-LDS people in the area. SouthernBelle's link sounds like a good idea to me.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:13 AM

602 posts, read 1,680,604 times
I'd love to hang out sometime! I've met very few people since I've been here. Unfortunately I'm all the way up in Ogden. I found some Mom's groups on Meetup, but they all seem to be geared for activities during the day, which doesn't help me a lot since I work full time. It would be nice to find some playmates for my 3 year old too. Anyone want to start up a group that meets evenings or weekends??

Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 PM

13 posts, read 28,110 times
We live in Draper (and are non-LDS). Our neighborhood is pretty staunchly LDS though and I've given up trying to befriend the neighbors. Last time we tried, the number of missionary visits increased dramatically.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:01 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,784,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crs175 View Post
We live in Draper (and are non-LDS). Our neighborhood is pretty staunchly LDS though and I've given up trying to befriend the neighbors. Last time we tried, the number of missionary visits increased dramatically.
Oh dear...that would be enough to stop me.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:26 PM

494 posts, read 1,678,323 times
A good rule of thumb is the further south you go in the valley, the greater percentage of Mormons in the population. I belive the one exception is Daybreak in South Jordan, which has a relatively diverse group of residents (that's where hilgi lives).

Old 02-12-2010, 05:01 PM

13 posts, read 28,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwm03160 View Post
A good rule of thumb is the further south you go in the valley, the greater percentage of Mormons in the population. I belive the one exception is Daybreak in South Jordan, which has a relatively diverse group of residents (that's where hilgi lives).
That's somewhat true. I don't think you can call Daybreak "diverse", but it's more mixed.

We'd live closer to the city if we weren't splitting the commute (one of us works in SLC, one of us works in Orem). That said, my neighborhood is family friendly and quiet. I really can't ask for much more than that at this point.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:00 PM

3 posts, read 13,861 times
I live in Suncrest, in Draper. We are not LDS and our neighbors are absolutely wonderful (about 50/50 LDS, non LDS). Try the Draper Moms Club. So many welcoming and interesting women and families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area