Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 PM

7 posts, read 29,022 times

Advertisements

There is a possibility of my husband getting a job in SLC and as I was browsing threads I've noticed the area seems to lead the nation in air pollution? He's an(currently laid off) electrical enginneer who trying to get his foot in the door in the product development field so we would love to get the job in SLC. However, we aren't willing to sacrifice our air quality.

So, my question is, based on this supposed 'fact' can you tell me of any surrounding areas within commuting distance that would be out of the 'polluted valley'? I'm hoping this is not the case, as SLC seems to be a great place to live. Other than the cold..which currently it is 18 here(no sun for days) in Kansas City so it can't be that bad.(?) Thanks, for any and all information!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
The problem is the bad air gets trapped between the 2 mountain ranges which run parallel to each other. The only places out of that are up like expensive Park City or on the other side of the ranges - very far and not a good drive in winter.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:59 PM

494 posts, read 1,897,013 times
The bad air is bearable during the winter. I wouldn't completely eliminate an area due to the inversion.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:16 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
You know, it may just be me, but here's my input for what it's worth. The worst part of bad air quality in Salt Lake City is that it's so darned ugly to look at. Now I'm not an asthmatic, and I understand the pollutants could be a huge problem for people with respiratory problems, but I don't personally experience any difficulty at all breathing. For me, it's the appearance of the yuchy air that's the biggest problem.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
I agree with Katz, it is more of a visual thing. I have never actually felt my breathing suffer since being here (9/09) and my asthmatic son has only had one attack since we moved here compared to very often in So Cal.

It does sound as if it is only a few days a year. Utah DEQ: Utah’s Report on the Environment: 2009: Cleaner Air: Intro

Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
Rayne-I was born and raised in Kansas and do not miss the grey skies of winter at all. I also lived up in Park City for many years before moving down here to the Salt Lake valley.
Yes, the air has been bad this winter and we have had very few storms to keep the atmosphere stirred up. That being said, Park City does not have the crystal clean air that you would hope either. I still work/ski up there and have noticed a layer that is brown and funky over the Jeremy Ranch/Kimballs Junction almost every time I head up.
The climate here is great with the low average relative humidity-not the bone chilling cold of the Kansas winters and while it can get pretty hot down here, once again with low relative humidity, it is not the sticky Kansas summer. I have a degree in meteorology and miss the big bad storms of spring and summer-trying to talk Mr into getting a "spring house" back there somewhere to enjoy storm season!!
I have not had any health concerns with the ugly air, nor have any family members. I agree with several of the other posters that it is ugly for sure!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:11 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
You know, it may just be me, but here's my input for what it's worth. The worst part of bad air quality in Salt Lake City is that it's so darned ugly to look at. Now I'm not an asthmatic, and I understand the pollutants could be a huge problem for people with respiratory problems, but I don't personally experience any difficulty at all breathing. For me, it's the appearance of the yuchy air that's the biggest problem.
I have to agree with this. I've had no problems from the air quality whatsoever, I can hardly tell the difference. It's just so ugly to look at, usually it appears much worse than it actually is. That's all that really bothers me. I just crave crystal clear days, and the sky looking like muck doesn't help my attitude much.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:25 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
My asthma is better this year b/c I have followed the advice to stay inside on red air days. In previous years, when I didn't, I had a lot of wheezing.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:50 AM

427 posts, read 1,304,664 times
All they valleys within the Wasatch Front (which makes up almost all the population) have the inversion problem. It's just a couple weeks out of the winter, so I'd say about 85-90% of the year the air quality is great. The only places to escape it would be higher elevated areas, such as Traverse Mountain in Draper, perhaps Alpine(?), Park City, I've heard Daybreak in S. Jordan doesn't get it too bad either.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM

107 posts, read 326,362 times
This is a great place to find out about air quality.

State of the Air: 2009 Report -- American Lung Association

Just because some people say they are not having problems with the air, doesn't mean that breathing it over the long haul is not a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area