Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2010, 02:45 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,039,919 times

Advertisements

And you don't even have to state "My name is (username here) and I'm an "Inversion Watcher"

Anyway, there seems to be more than a few out of towners, myself included, who ask of the problems and frequency of the much maligned and maybe misunderstood inversion. Also there is differing opinion on said frequency and any ill effects it may cause.

Here are two links to webcams that give you somewhat of a birdseye view of the situation for anyone, local or not, that may like to look in on the situation. After all, a picture is worth a thousand words.

The NOAA (National Oceanographic And Atmospheric Administration) "Olympus Cove" Cam...

National Weather Service - NWS Salt Lake City

Alta Ski Resort "Mount Superior" Cam, look down into the valley between the mountain slopes on the left and right, sometimes clear, sometimes not. When the inversion is bad this gives you an "above the clouds" view so to speak. You cannot see the valley at all from this cam when it is snowing heavily or foggy at Atla.

Alta Ski Area Welcomes You

Click your "refresh" button for the latest image....enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 02:35 PM

What a day today is, just checked these cams and Alta is getting some fantastic snow while Olympus Cove is almost a Bluebird day, although trees showing effects of recent valley snowfall.

You just have to love Utah

P.S. Haven't seen that many inversion days of late.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 PM

97 posts, read 219,631 times
[quote=ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?;12859624]And you don't even have to state "My name is
Anyway, there seems to be more than a few out of towners, myself included, QUOTE]

HEYYYYY....maybe you hit the nail on the head

More tailpipes = more inversion

Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 PM

498 posts, read 1,450,658 times
...except their frequency is totally dependent on the weather, not the amount of people driving.

I went to West Jordan today just because I was really tired of the snow, and had a hunch it wouldn't be as bad out there. I was right.. after driving through a blizzard on the east side of I215, I got to the west side which was sunny, blue sky, totally dry, and had hardly any snow on the ground. And when I got back to the east side, the snow, mist, and gray clouds hit me like a brick wall. Gotta love it.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:40 PM

[quote=outnabout;13558150]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
And you don't even have to state "My name is
Anyway, there seems to be more than a few out of towners, myself included, QUOTE]

HEYYYYY....maybe you hit the nail on the head

More tailpipes = more inversion
Well now that's a warm welcome outnabout, I feel so much better about possibly relocating out there now....

Actually I flew in (about 250 or so people in one vehicle, that being the plane) didn't rent a car, Alta shared van shuttle up and back to Alta, and to and from Park City. One time travel for both these routes, not every day. Walked to and from Albertson's in P.C. on numerous occaisions (a good walk from where I was staying) despite a free shuttle at hotel to take me there, only using shuttle to and from resort bases.

I'll bet I had a lower carbon footprint for the time I was there than yourself...

Old 04-25-2010, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,139 times
how developed are bicycle lanes ? is there an established commuting cycling commmunity? do employers encourage cycling to work?
i might be moving to slc and have been a dedicated cycling commuter for >11 yrs
thnx

Old 04-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Justpedalthruit, i am advising you as a non-resident, a local cyclist may be able to shed even more light on the subject, but SLC seems to be a cycling mecca, I found a couple of links you may find helpful.

Link to the Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective:

Salt Lake City Bicycle Collective

Link to the Salt Lake County Bicycle Advisory Committee:

It will open to a page where you can click a link to download a PDF file map of bike routes throughout the city, and the links on the side menu will direct you to much additional info, there is a "Bicycle To Work Day" photo series on the "Photo" link.

SLCBAC - Welcome!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:56 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,650,825 times
Most major streets in the downtown area and fringes have bike lanes. Lots of buildings have bike racks.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 AM

360 posts, read 1,123,605 times
I would be careful about the bike lanes. Once you get down to the southern end of the SLC limits, around 21st s, the bike lanes suddenly end. I use 8th S to go East/west and 3rd E as a North/South route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area