U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 08:45 PM

74 posts, read 171,860 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: orphaned quote
I had posted earlier this week about this canyon disrict issue because I think it is such an important discussion and debate for the citizens of Utah to have. I wholeheartedly agree with Markg in all of his points he laid out and those were laid out in my original post. A state's youth are by far their most valuable asset and they deserve to be given a quality education no matter which part of town they were born in. It is to the whole state's best interest to ensure there are not pockets of youth left out of receiving a decent education. I think most of us are well aware of the correlates between resources and quality. I too don't want Utah to be seen as a laughing stock when it comes to education either.
Moderator cut: can't discuss mod actions on forum I empathized with dcisive about the difficulty to pay taxes and his resentment towards doing so. I don't think any of us like paying taxes but I also think if one can see the return of their investment, it is easier to feel okay with paying into something. An investment in education secures Utah's livlihood long-term and attracts businesses. SLC has done a wonderful job in putting money into their parks, their recreation centers, improving freeways, light rail, I could go on and on with some of the smart moves they have made that have increased quality of life. Unfortunately, the education system is really needing to be reformed and it seems like now more than ever, people should be sticking together not fighting. I think we are all going to feel some pain from this economy whether it be in higher taxes, slashed programs, and an over-all adjustment to what we have grown to expect in the good times. Personally, I think people are going to have to look at some creative ideas on how to raise money and bridge gaps even if that means larger families pay more (which would be us). I do hope the equalization bills come back next year and doesn't die.

Dcisive, I am not sure if you can petition your county regarding your loss of income with your wife's job. I don't know much about this but I do know when my mom retired, she was able to qualify for a reduced property tax rate based on her retirement income which was pretty low.
Also, are Utah's taxes considered high in comparison to other states? I actually have always felt like it was on the lower side but maybe I am not correct.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-27-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 09:39 PM

19,643 posts, read 53,556,179 times
Folks, stick to the topic of this thread. If you want to wander off in generalities, take it to Politics or Great Debates. This thread is about the actions of the kids in Jordan school district.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:18 AM

2,219 posts, read 4,843,771 times
Indeed you hit a nail on the head. IF and I do mean IF I could see a return on the investment indeed I might feel better about the taxation. But quite frankly they are so in the hole, with the hole to get ever increasingly deeper, that I'm not sure the "throwing money at the problem" is enough of a solution. I saw the school system going south so to speak as of the 80's with all of the growth Salt Lake City experienced. It never recovered, and you know what happens when you get wayyyyy behind on a payment. Yeah you default. I can't imagine how they will fix this school problem, but one thing is for sure. Throwing a lot more money (which won't likely even be quite enough to break even) isn't going to fix it. This is a serious bleeding wound that need some serious surgery, not a bandaid. Quite frankly I think they will need to completely rethink and overhaul their present way of doing things. Otherwise it will be more of the same, and this crisis will become a disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area