U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:33 AM

23 posts, read 64,276 times

Advertisements

Hi, we dithered a bit: car rental, not having written down addresses in advance, concierge not knowing where half of these places were, having to log-on, etc, etc. So we got to Kristaufs about 12:57. The owner(?)/doorman(?) outside wasn't letting anyone in but we said we'd just landed for 1st time in SLC, so he said we had 2 minutes to order. Inside, barman about to serve but then a waitress bounded over and said "nope", all closed. So that was that. Outside the group comisserated with us and so instead we wanded off to see what else open. "Apologies from the Mormons" yelled out a cute blond. Maybe I'll like this city.

We did see people walking around. And two cars pulled over for DIU. Heading back to 600th there was a japanese restaurant still open so had a quick bowl of miso soup and dumplings (neither were very good - but did I mention it was open).

So only one "slightly odd" point was getting onto the plane. We were running a bit late cos the Wife had found a tapas bar inside the Houston airport (great wine selection, but French champagne expensive at $16/glass, and the food (not very good) more expensive than that). And maybe we were talking loudly or something while standing in the queue at the gate, but the next thing the girl in front of us standing chanting. Fending off evil spirits I guess. Conversely, the people on the plane were incredibly pleasant. I think everyone in the first few rows was chatting to us.

So all in all, a great first day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 10:10 AM

74 posts, read 169,688 times
Awesome TT
Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know how it goes - this is kind of cool to get the daily updates from the Utah newcomer. I am dying to hear what you think of the mountains? beauty? Just FYI, when asking for directions and referring to streets, remember that 600 south is referred to as 6th south - basically drop the last two zeros. Some people have gotten very confused by the grid because the numbers don't match the abbreviated references to streets. Once you get that down, the grid is so easy to use to anywhere. Hope you have fun. I am a bit jealous back here in Texas.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM

19,415 posts, read 52,272,224 times
There is a difference between 6th Ave. and 6th South or north, etc. The Avenues are a specific location on the hillside above downtown.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 AM

39 posts, read 86,811 times
Allow me to recommend the pan seared duck breast at The Paris Bistro in Sugar House, or any steak at Spencer's steakhouse downtown if you're doing any fine dining this evening.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM

23 posts, read 64,276 times
Yum. "pan seared duck breast". That does sound good!! We seem to be stuck, however, with going to Biaggi's. Don't know if "stuck" is the right word, but our hosts for the night have chosen that restaurant so it would be uncivil to suggest a different one. But we could just not eat anything, sneak out early, and head over to Paris Bistro

Hm, just looked at Google, we drove all over Sugar House today and somehow missed that corner. Figures...

Last edited by TexanTransplant; 03-06-2010 at 06:19 PM..

Old 03-06-2010, 06:27 PM

19,415 posts, read 52,272,224 times
Just be aware that a lot of restaurants are closed on Sundays. Call ahead if you're going out of your way to try something. One that I know and like that's open is Bangkok Thai Talay in the 3000 south block of Highland Dr. (more or less 3000 south). If you drive down 1100 East from Sugar House, it turns into Highland at about 2800 South. Another block or so on the right is Bangkok. They have great tofu dishes if you're up for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area