Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 07:53 PM

8 posts, read 12,575 times

Advertisements

So much information. We're considering utah, career opportunity, from sunny california. Would love more information. Looking to reside in holladay, sugarhouse area. Information on schools, districts, regulations... Benifits, drawbacks, anybody been here and there, comparrisons would be great.
Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 09:20 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
O.K. I'll bite, thread has gone nearly 24 hours with no response.

Sugarhouse....solidly built houses (brick bungalows with gumwood inteior mouldings) Victorian architecture lends itself to the "Haight Ashbury" look if you so choose, which in turn patterns the more liberal politics and lifestyle of the area. All the men (and some women) have goatees and wear french berets, hang out at beatnick cofeehouses listening to folk music and alternative poetry, clicking their fingers instead of clapping if they like it, drum circles down at Liberty Park, etc...

Joking aside, not quite this extreme, but has all the elements in varying degrees. People who live there like it, including some regulars who post here. But they do not seem to have landed in the neighborhood by accident, instead moving there by a well researched choice.

Holladay....a more conservative neighborhood, but certainly not the most conservative by any stretch. Again, alot of older, established failry well built houses. Alot of old growth trees give it more of an "east coast" feel. People from New England may be reminded more of home here. (Not that Sugarhouse and the Harvard/Yale area adjacent do not have this feel to an extent as well).

Both are close to downtown and have decent schools as far as I know

Old 03-06-2010, 11:35 AM

8 posts, read 12,575 times
Haight ashbury, only seen pictures, was in sf as a baby but parents didn't like it so came to la instead. But why the goatees and french berets? Regional thing? Any other considerations to ponder before we take the plunge? Were going to visit soon before we make our final desicion. We are a young family of 4, what should we visit and what should we visit?
Thanks again

Old 03-06-2010, 12:16 PM

I'm giving away may age...LOL. I you do not remember Haight, you won't remember Beatnicks (the reference was a humorous exaggeration, not meant wholly seriously)...

Here's a link to a Youtube video of an actual Liberty Park drum circle I found.

YouTube - Drum Circle

And a Beatnik parody for those unfamiliar.

YouTube - The Beatnik Scene Daddio

It depends on your lifestyle, politics, religion, choice of community, price range, etc.

Example: We are a christian conservative young family with two cats and an alaskan malamute qualified to purchase up to 300K.

Example: We are a liberal young family with no pets (or just a cat) that would like an extended sense of shared community qualified to 200K.

The areas, housing choices, recommended communities, etc. will swing widely between the two examples, the more info the more custom tailoring can be lent to the advice.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:55 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
I'm giving away may age...LOL. I you do not remember Haight, you won't remember Beatnicks (the reference was a humorous exaggeration, not meant wholly seriously)...

Here's a link to a Youtube video of an actual Liberty Park drum circle I found.

YouTube - Drum Circle

And a Beatnik parody for those unfamiliar.

YouTube - The Beatnik Scene Daddio

It depends on your lifestyle, politics, religion, choice of community, price range, etc.

Example: We are a christian conservative young family with two cats and an alaskan malamute qualified to purchase up to 300K.

Example: We are a liberal young family with no pets (or just a cat) that would like an extended sense of shared community qualified to 200K.

The areas, housing choices, recommended communities, etc. will swing widely between the two examples, the more info the more custom tailoring can be lent to the advice.
I miss my old Malamute.

Old 03-06-2010, 05:51 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
You do realize the good doctor is saying it's time for marijuana?

Old 03-08-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
You do realize the good doctor is saying it's time for marijuana?
He may be inferring that, yes. I did not choose this video with the so called "Doctors" smoking narrative in mind. It was chosen because there is a narrative by the "Doctor" and others others that explains the drum circle for the more liberal viewers, and it shows a strong police presence by the S.L.P.D. bicycle patrol for the more conservative one's....Something for everyone, so to speak. Furthermore, it concerns me that one's sole purpose in life seems to be announcing that the time is 4:20...

Personally, my politics run to the right of middle of the road, am anti-drug and would not want to see any drug use in Liberty, or ANY park. I think if there was marijuana the S.L.P.D. would be doing more than writing tickets.

Also, you are our "Sugarhouse In Residence" member Belle, so wer'e trusting in you to keep drum circle behavior in check. (I am assuming from your post this would be your political stance) using southern charm and diplocmacy if need be.

You may have to write a clean living anti-drug song or poem and perform it on stage at a coffeehouse in Sugarhouse on an "Open Mic" night. Capturing it on video and uploading to Youtube would be appreciated...

Last edited by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...?; 03-08-2010 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Had To Get My Tran Of Thought Back On Track

Old 03-08-2010, 02:07 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Sorry but Liberty Park is not in Sugar House, so my sphere of influence is limited. What people do in the privacy of their own houses is none of my business but you are right in that almost anywhere in the USA public use of drugs is illegal.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:21 PM

835 posts, read 2,075,981 times
Do not under estimate your sphere of influence Belle!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Sorry but Liberty Park is not in Sugar House, so my sphere of influence is limited.
True, but it's close and I'm guessing some drum circle devotees would be Sugarhouse and Avenues residents. So what happens in Liberty Park does not necessarily stay in Liberty Park. The right song and/or poem will have far reaching consequences....LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area