Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 12:26 AM

6 posts, read 6,209 times

Advertisements

Hello there.
I am yet another economic refugee considering relocating my business back home to Utah.
We construction guys sure seem to chase the booms. We walked away from a Midvale home after the construction bust in Utah of the 1980's, only to ride the wave of destruction in Southern California.

So anyways, I was in Salt Lake two weeks ago and met with potential clients for a construction related supply business I plan to open. Don't laugh, but they seemed really receptive.

Now, I know things are bad everywhere, but a wise man told me the other day that during the Great Depression some small companies became big ones when the major players of the day went belly up.

As a licensed contractor I know that for many of us construction goons it is cash on the barrel head at the supply houses. I have come to realize that I have been over paying for years, and as the economy imploded many of my peers in business have talked amongst ourselves. I have learned that my discontent is shared; we all hate our suppliers because they assume we will not shop around and they try and charge us too much when it is bitter cut throat warfare for every job.

I say, why not take a chance on Utah and establish a name right now, when the chips are down? When the economy recovers it will be much harder to start a business because we contractors are sometimes a simple lot; we just buy from the same places everyday.

Besides, what a Utah business feels like is a bust might feel like a boom to a lean mean start up machine retreating from California.

I have read a lot of doom and gloom about the economy in Utah too, but doom is being upside 250k on a house I never took a dime from and being down 85% off our peak.
SLC and/or bust.

If I decide to come I will arrive with a small inventory and some equipment, very little cash and go for broke.
Any tips, hints or tricks would be appreciated.
ps,
it is not illegal to harvest rain water in Utah for homeowners.

Last edited by Yerded; 03-08-2010 at 12:28 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:33 AM

835 posts, read 2,071,228 times
The rainwater harvesting thing was one of the few bright things the state assembly changed so far this season! Hurray for common sense!

Old 03-08-2010, 06:42 PM

Good!

So, I'm full of news and reports about the economy, and all signs about moving there look good but...

I've been browsing these forums hoping to get a feel for if the people of Utah have a positive attitude. Is the end nigh, or have we reached bottom?

If we are on the edge of a recovery then Utah is a safe bet as Utah has to grow.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:56 AM

Well, I've been in Utah off and on for three weeks.
Officially open for business, as it were.

I find the mental state of the people to be rather beat down, at least in the construction trades.

But, there is not the sense of doom that hangs on the face of the L.A. people I encounter.

Also, I hope the people of Utah do not allow to happen to this state what has happened to California; The Golden State is in a state of chaos. Illegal aliens have taken over entire cities and systematically ruined them. See Pomona, Santa Ana, Bell Gardens, etc.

Moderator cut: take it to the Politics forum

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 06-06-2010 at 11:43 AM..

Old 06-06-2010, 09:41 PM

18 posts, read 43,714 times
That is why I, a life long resident of So-Cal (San Diego, specifically) am off to Sandy. Off to find a brighter future.

Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM

224 posts, read 638,140 times
Welcome back Yerded. Hope things improve here and you can make a go of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area