Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:17 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,208,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_1970 View Post
I really like the idea of having neighborhood pub within walking distance of my home. With the usual local crowd there to discuss the end of day stuff. Call me sentimental. It sounds like the "downtown" area would be more transiting people and maybe tourists just there for a visit.
I have only been here for lunch but one of their locations is in the district down the road from Daybreak.

MacCool's - Locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 10:02 AM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
I understand. that's not the first time you've said that. Is there a certain part of downtown you are referring to?
Anywhere between Main Street and 500 West, between South Temple and 400 South.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:13 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I absolutely LOVE MacCool's!

Old 03-14-2010, 03:18 PM

58 posts, read 113,263 times
What is the District? A mall? And how does that place have any impact on the Daybreak shops?

Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Wow that looks cool! I want to go right now! HA HA HA!

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM

Quote:
What is the District? A mall? And how does that place have any impact on the Daybreak shops?
The district is just down the hill from Daybreak, it is an outdoor "mal" with a MegePlex, shops and restaurants. It is expanding over the next few years. The Daybreak shops are in a small little area and they are going for the more community vibe, a flower shop, spa, ice cream, Mexican food, Gus the Barber and more to come. More of a little destination to walk around at. Daybreak has longer term plans that include a big center complete with all the Costco’s' etc.

The long term plan of Daybreak will double the size of South Jordan, it will be a city by itself.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:13 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,056,040 times
The one activity I did not list, snowmobiling, or the motorcycles of winter. When I was up at Alta in January there looked like some great trails heading into the pristine Wasatch National Forest. Better yet, try the horsepower that takes oats and hay in one end, produces recyclable material on the other (over gasoline and exhaust). The bike will have much less of an impact on the enviromnet than a car or truck, so Kudos for that. I don't know if you are familiar with the valley's infamous "Inversion"

I never thought about SLC not having a real "Neighborhood Pub" where "Everybody Knows Your Name". Even the McCool's referral appears to be a chain with multiple locations, not exactly coziest. The Mayor no less has weighed in on this one. The following link is an article from January '09 and there has been some liquor law reform since then.

A Plea For a Pub in Salt Lake City | Planetizen

Personally, I have mixed emotions on this subject, Utah's reputation for arcane liquor laws helped keep the state unique. Iv'e always found unique things more intriguing.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:36 PM

I'll add this article and some props for a little common sense. In Utah, 'Zion Curtain' Comes Down : NPR

Old 03-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Default Update

Quote:
I've read through the threads here and used other online resources to gather information. I am planning on relocating there early next year. I'm trying to get an idea of which part of the SLC area city or suburbs would be best for me so maybe a local's point of view could provide some insight.

My preferences are:

I'm 40, single. I like to be close to things conveniently in walking distance in a safe, friendly, not too party town/frat house bound area. I like being walking distance to restaurants/pubs, some shopping, etc. I don't commute. I work from home mostly but will own a car. I'd like to be near one of the light rail lines. I don't want to be surrounded by large families with mega kids but otherwise the inner city OR area suburbs is fine within the preferences I already listed. I don't want to live in older Victorian type neighborhoods. I prefer modern style condos. I'm looking for moderate pricing. 180-250. Park City being not what I want.

I know this is a bit lengthy but any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
After gathering more information from some of the members on this forum, reading through a good deal of the posts, chatting with friends that live/lived in SLC, and using several tools on the web I've refined what I think would be best for me. Considering my personal priorities which are: condo, attached garage, nearby shopping, accessibility and walk-ability I am thinking that one of these "master planned communities" with a future Trax stop, like Daybreak for instance is drawing my interest. I feel like I could have the best of both worlds. If I wanted to take in the inner city I can get it easily but with a suburb retreat for home and when I had enough.

One big reason: I don't think I'm going to find a condo, downtown with an attached private garage for my car and motorcycle, without significant expense.

I haven't ruled out downtown or really anything yet until I come out there and look at things up close and personally. I won't be in a position to buy until a year from now. I just like having an interim plan in place in the meantime.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
After gathering more information from some of the members on this forum, reading through a good deal of the posts, chatting with friends that live/lived in SLC, and using several tools on the web I've refined what I think would be best for me. Considering my personal priorities which are: condo, attached garage, nearby shopping, accessibility and walk-ability I am thinking that one of these "master planned communities" with a future Trax stop, like Daybreak for instance is drawing my interest. I feel like I could have the best of both worlds. If I wanted to take in the inner city I can get it easily but with a suburb retreat for home and when I had enough.

One big reason: I don't think I'm going to find a condo, downtown with an attached private garage for my car and motorcycle, without significant expense.

I haven't ruled out downtown or really anything yet until I come out there and look at things up close and personally. I won't be in a position to buy until a year from now. I just like having an interim plan in place in the meantime.
Try renting for awhile to see how you like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area