Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:55 PM

52 posts, read 166,128 times

Advertisements

Coming from the Midwest, I had never heard of Westminster College until just recently. How's the reputation of Westminster locally? How respected are their academics/degrees in Utah?

(I mean to ask this subjectively... I know this can make answering tough, but please give it a shot if you're familiar. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM

139 posts, read 499,444 times
It's a nice little liberal arts college...small class sizes, good programs. It doesn't have a lot of name recognition outside of Utah, but it's a solid school and locally has a good reputation.

In the mid 80's it was dying due to low enrollment and lack of funding, but they have since rebounded and it's a pretty dynamic campus now. Lots of construction, increased enrollment, etc...

It's considerably more expensive that most state schools, but don't let the price tag scare you, they have very generous scholarships and when all the financial aid is said and done, it's typically about the same price you'd pay for a state school.

One cool thing about Westminster is that they offer scholarships to Olympians who train in Utah, I think about 17 of the winter olympic team were students at Westminster.

In the end, it's all about what you want out of your college experience. Here in SLC, I'd take Westminster over the U of Utah for an undergraduate degree. The U of Utah is a commuter school, so the sense of community isn't really there. The vast majority of students live all over the valley, coupled with huge class sizes for most of your undergraduate classes, and you wont' really develop those bonds with fellow classmates like you would in a smaller school, or a more residential school like USU.

Just my $.02.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:08 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
It has a positive reputation.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:07 PM

27,880 posts, read 29,679,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasirGirl View Post
Coming from the Midwest, I had never heard of Westminster College until just recently. How's the reputation of Westminster locally? How respected are their academics/degrees in Utah?

(I mean to ask this subjectively... I know this can make answering tough, but please give it a shot if you're familiar. )
My understanding is that they have an excellent reputation locally, particularly for people who want to go into education.

People who've grown up here are finally learning that it's Westminster, not Westminister.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
They have a good nursing program, too. I knew someone who went to China with her business class for a project. I've always heard that they are a good school.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:59 PM

835 posts, read 2,068,541 times
Westminster has a great aviation program also. It is a rather spendy private college but from what I have seen, it i well worth the $$..

Old 03-24-2010, 04:14 PM

498 posts, read 1,448,615 times
I think it's the most prestigious college in the state.

I usually think of it as very small and pretty pricey. My high school debate coach went there, and that's just about the only person I can think of that I know has gone there.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:50 PM

494 posts, read 1,889,725 times
It has a good reputation, although I personally don't think it is worth the tuition they charge compared to the U.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:11 AM

427 posts, read 1,300,076 times
Well ... they have a cool campus located right in the heart of Sugarhouse.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:12 AM

52 posts, read 166,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
I think it's the most prestigious college in the state.
Now that's interesting! I had no idea that anything in-state competed with the U or BYU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area