Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 04:33 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,498,293 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately...with the OP's point of view, they will find problems no matter where they live. Having lived in both Utah and Long Island in the last 3 years...there isn't a whole lot of different in attitude. The number of nice people far outweigh the arrogant ones in both places. Just need to look around a little more for them...we are here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 09:11 PM

14 posts, read 42,297 times
Default Relocating to salt lake city (midvale)

i've been to utah 4 times already. onctober 2008,december 2008,january 2009 and april 2009 for 2 months.i've stayed in midvale for 2 months from april to june.i like it there alot compared to new york. its very stuffy,nasty,dirty and the people here are really rude compared to utah.the places i've been to were midvale,west valley, the capital and a few other places i cant remember.i tried looking for jobs there but i had no luck.i went there because i was on a long distance relationship to.thats why it didnt work out for me.because i was not prepared.but i wish i was still there.i mean its really nice and clean and the people were real friendly to me.i stayed at the wasatch club apartments.it wasn't that bad compared to ny.it was a dream for me.but i plan on going back there next year to live.i've read soe post in the forum about everyones feelings towards certain parts.but the main thing is i was real happy there and i miss it there everyday.so now im trying real hard to make it back there,but this time im going back for myself.i will be fully prepared.

Old 05-08-2010, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,802 times
I am moving to Tooele, Ut (hopefully Standsbury park) from New York. I looked on line and found that Standsbury and Rose ... something Elementary are good elementary schools... what about their junior high/high schools? It looks like my kids would be bused into Tooele or into Grantsville for jr high/high school.... which of the areas have good schools? or maybe both??? What are your feelings about the school systems there? Thanks JJ

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM

58 posts, read 112,924 times
Although Libertarian's comments could have probably been worded a bit less broad stroked, as a person that spends a considerable amount of time for work related reasons in New England I can understand some of his gripes. In particular the larger cities like New York and Boston. While I am at those places I work for weeks at a time with groups of "locals". For many of them if you don't live in the Boston or NYC metro areas you're either deprived, uninformed or a simpleton thats out of touch with reality. Those that think that way view the rest of the world like Christopher Columbus as in it ends at their city limits.

Boston is the "smart city". Anywhere else is a sophistication reduction. New York is more the "I wouldn't know where else to live" city. Repeat generations never leave Staten Island, Brooklyn and Queens and are almost intimidated to even consider the thought of it. In both cases I am talking more about native locals.

But the truth is the rudeness factor is more than just an "outsiders" stereotype. I travel considerably and actually reside and interact with locals from several sizable cities, East and West. Compared to others New England cities do have a noticable rudeness factor. People tend to speak to you loudly and if you miss something it just gets louder. But its more than that. Driver's. Yes it's true. Or public crowds just like exiting subways stations etc can get pretty cut thoat.

To stay on topic, I think most transplants from Boston or NYC (and other NE cities) will find SLC a more pleasant place. Yes you can find rude jerks anywhere you go but I can assure you that's far easier in the places I've mentioned. And most of those "right wing religious zealots" mentioned in prior posts usually have some manners and are considerate of others.

I can't speak for NE rural areas, including Vermont. But I know people that live in Vermont and Maine that complain often about the city "rich" transplants that move/retire there.

Old 05-08-2010, 08:37 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,954,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJV8 View Post
I am moving to Tooele, Ut (hopefully Standsbury park) from New York. I looked on line and found that Standsbury and Rose ... something Elementary are good elementary schools... what about their junior high/high schools? It looks like my kids would be bused into Tooele or into Grantsville for jr high/high school.... which of the areas have good schools? or maybe both??? What are your feelings about the school systems there? Thanks JJ
I live in Stansbury Park and love it here. Actually, Stansbury just opened a brand new high school this year, so they would not be bussed to either Tooele or Grantsville.

Stansbury High School Stallions

That school is for 9-12. For Jr. High, the students are bussed to Overlake, which is a community located between Stansbury and Tooele. It is called Clark N Johnson Jr. High. My daughter goes there and it is a very good school. They offer honors classes and she actually takes 9th grade algebra as a 7th grader this year.

The elementary schools are Rose Springs and Stansbury. Either of those are very good. Rose Springs is 4 years old, so of course, the school is more modern. I believe Stansbury Elem was built around 1979.

As I said, I LOVE living here in Stansbury, so if you have any questions, ask away!

Old 05-31-2010, 08:43 PM

12 posts, read 20,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
I live in Stansbury Park and love it here. Actually, Stansbury just opened a brand new high school this year, so they would not be bussed to either Tooele or Grantsville.

Stansbury High School Stallions

That school is for 9-12. For Jr. High, the students are bussed to Overlake, which is a community located between Stansbury and Tooele. It is called Clark N Johnson Jr. High. My daughter goes there and it is a very good school. They offer honors classes and she actually takes 9th grade algebra as a 7th grader this year.

The elementary schools are Rose Springs and Stansbury. Either of those are very good. Rose Springs is 4 years old, so of course, the school is more modern. I believe Stansbury Elem was built around 1979.

As I said, I LOVE living here in Stansbury, so if you have any questions, ask away!
My family and I are relocating to SLC in January and are looking at places to live.We are looking to rent a home for a while before we decide on where to buy. are there many houses for rent in Stansbury and what would the price ranges be? Thanks in advance for any info you may have.....

Old 05-31-2010, 10:10 PM

Yes, there are homes for rent. My next door neighbor is a property manager who has several homes for rent. What size home are you looking for? I can ask him if he has any that fit your parameters and what the rent is, if you are interested.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 PM

12 posts, read 20,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Yes, there are homes for rent. My next door neighbor is a property manager who has several homes for rent. What size home are you looking for? I can ask him if he has any that fit your parameters and what the rent is, if you are interested.
We are a family of 4, the wife and I and our 15 year old son and 15 year old daughter. We also have 2 cats and a dog so we need pet friendly. We are looking for 3+ bedrooms and 2+ bathrooms and a fenced in backyard within walking distance to the high school. Thanks for the help Kaytidid

ps. How long would the drive to the industrial park right next to the airport (where Ill be working) from Stansbury be?

Last edited by CouplefromMawithkids; 06-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM

It would take you approx 25-30 minutes, but that is a relatively pain free commute. No stop and go traffic, ect.

You said that you will be needing this in January? Just checked with him and he has a home right now that is 4BR/2Ba, fenced, pets allowed within walking distance to the high school. Rent is $1050/mth. I will PM you his name and number. When it gets a little closer, you can give him a call to see what he has available. PM me back your name and number so that I can have him keep an eye out for properties for you.

Last edited by kaytidid; 06-01-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area