Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 05:34 PM

6 posts, read 38,895 times

Advertisements

I am from Vermont and thinking of moving to SLC. I am fleeing the people from NY, NJ and Mass that have RUINED our once beautiful little state. Are there a lot of people from those states that have moved to SLC? I can get along with LDS, anyone in fact. But I cannot stand rich, pretentious, arrogant people from the states mentioned. If you live in Vermont you would know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 07:14 PM

51 posts, read 263,527 times
Default I take offense

Quote:
Originally Posted by libertarian4life View Post
I am from Vermont and thinking of moving to SLC. I am fleeing the people from NY, NJ and Mass that have RUINED our once beautiful little state. Are there a lot of people from those states that have moved to SLC? I can get along with LDS, anyone in fact. But I cannot stand rich, pretentious, arrogant people from the states mentioned. If you live in Vermont you would know what I mean.
Well I have to say I take offense your statement about NJ people being pretentious. NOT ALL of us are like that. You can find those kind of people anywhere you live. I own a home in NJ and Vermont so I take real offense to that. I now live in SLC and so far I like it a lot. Get to know my as a person from NJ and you can tell me what you think?????????

Signed,
Non - Pretentious

Old 06-06-2007, 08:23 PM

16 posts, read 72,782 times
I am leaving Upstate, NY this August and heading for SLC. I can definitely relate with you since there is quite a high concentration of snobby, rich folk where I live. I agree that not everyone is a total pain in the ass, but when I visited SLC last summer, I found that in general, people out west are generally very friendly, generous and accepting. I can't wait to move!!!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 19,213 times
I'm from Boston and I moved here for exactly the same reason you are thinking about moving here. For the most part I like it a lot, although if you have never lived anywhere else in your life besides New England it may not suit you. The best way to put it in perspective for someone from the East Coast is for every one of those pretentious, arrogant, waste of life individuals you would leave behind in New England you gain one crazy right-wing religious zealot type and/or the fake personality type from California, which is more prevalent than I would have ever guessed before moving here. To me it's a fair trade and if I had to do it all over again I would still move here.

Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 AM

1,125 posts, read 3,516,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco77 View Post
the fake personality type from California.
I like my fake California personality. If you're interested in one, try Bob's Novelty Shop in Sepulveda. He also has a nice line of fake dog do-do, barf, and those springy eyeball glasses.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:06 AM

617 posts, read 2,815,353 times
I don't really get how one can label people like that. Why are fake personality people you mention, from California? There are fake people from everywhere. Some of the fakest people I ever met, were living in Utah, but I don't put them in a category like "FAKE UTAH PERSONALITY". They are fake, because they choose to be, not because of where they live, or once lived. The beauty of the U.S, is that nobody can claim their family is from any ONE state. People move in and out of states all the time. That is why it is called the UNITED STATES.

Okay... I don't want to send this thread off topic, so I will be brief with my next point. To the original poster... I see that you are a libertarian. Part of the libertarian belief, is that people should be free to move wherever they choose, with no hang ups. So true to Libertarian views, one claiming to have these views, shouldn't have an issue with people from NY, NJ, and MASS, moving to Vermont, SLC, or anywhere they choose. So isn't posting a topic like this a bit Un-Libertarian like?

I also can't stand rich, pretentious, arrogant people from ANYWHERE, not just the three states you mention. You will find your fair share of those types of people, when moving to Utah. In fact, you will find those types of people ANYWHERE you go.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:28 AM

This is directed at moving 2utahfromNJ..... You are EXACTLY what I am talking about. You own a home in NJ. What did you pay for your home in Vermont $250K (or some similar figure)? Why didn't you just say to the seller "I am NOT paying that"! It's not Vermont dairy farmers kids buying homes for that price. Home in the rural sate of vT used to be $60-80K before all the NJ people with money and credit satrted moving there. They still are in Tenessee, but you are moving there too!

Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM

75 posts, read 199,176 times
Lightbulb Lots from the West

libertarianforlife - if you move to Utah, you'll find lots of people from the West to dislike. California, Arizona both had big run up in prices, and some of those folks have moved to Utah to take advantage of the more reasonable housing costs.

Why not look into areas like Detroit, parts of Ohio, Pittsburgh. Those areas, plus many others, could use more people moving in, and no-one is running up the prices there.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM

617 posts, read 2,815,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally99 View Post
libertarianforlife - if you move to Utah, you'll find lots of people from the West to dislike. California, Arizona both had big run up in prices, and some of those folks have moved to Utah to take advantage of the more reasonable housing costs.

Why not look into areas like Detroit, parts of Ohio, Pittsburgh. Those areas, plus many others, could use more people moving in, and no-one is running up the prices there.
Ya, California prices are just high no matter how you look at it. They aren't really rising, and even if they do rise slightly... it's still crazy expensive no matter how you look at it. Arizona is actually a buyers market right now... people are actually having to pay money in some places just to sell their homes. That is not expected to change until about 2009. Utah, was actually recently named, as having the biggest increase in real estate prices in 2006... and it's because people are moving in from everywhere for the lower prices. House prices in Utah are only going to keep on rising.

So people who might be angry about NJ people ruining Vermont housing prices... might be doing the same thing to Utah housing prices, by deciding to move over to Utah.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:42 PM

I am thinking of moving there, but I am not one of thos people. I am a blue collar worker who DOES work, and does NOT live off welfare. With my income (around $21,000), I will not be one of the ones buying over priced real estate jacking the rates up for everyone else. I am just looking to rent in an area where I can get a NICE, CLEAN apartment for a REASONABLE price of $500 or less. These NJ slumlords that have bought up Burlington, Vermont have the GALL to charge $800 - $1,200 for a roach infested dump next door to Sudanese Refugees who urinate/deficate the alleys and break into homes at night. SLC looks like a hard working mans paradise compared to Burlington. There are ACTUALLY jobs there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area