U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2007, 03:48 PM

18 posts, read 129,589 times

Advertisements

We are planning on moving from Nevada to SLC. I have read here the salaries are low in SLC. My husband is a ACF Certified Sous Chef, I have early childhood educator credentials (CDA, NAC, Montessori Certificication, and 12 ECE credits). Will we be able to earn combined $60,000 in SLC? Is that a good minimum income for SLC? Where should we look to live with two small children?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:56 PM

15 posts, read 34,825 times
hi stars and mountains,

the median family income for the state of utah is about 60k. housing has really gotten crazy here lately. average home price in salt lake county was 270k in the first quarter of this year. this compares to 195k two years prior. where you live depends on how much equity you bring with you from your prior home.

hope that helps!

butter

Old 06-07-2007, 09:02 PM

6 posts, read 24,789 times
$60,000? My wife and I are coming to SLC with $750 in our pockets on a train... You have got to be kidding? I lived in Vermont where my rent was $1,300 and ate up every penny I had. I got the $750 from selling my car. I am moving to LSC to get a job and a reasonable apartment where the nice SLC landlords will treat us fairly. I can't even imagine making $60,000 a year even combined!

Old 06-08-2007, 04:05 AM

618 posts, read 1,800,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libertarian4life View Post
$60,000? My wife and I are coming to SLC with $750 in our pockets on a train... You have got to be kidding? I lived in Vermont where my rent was $1,300 and ate up every penny I had. I got the $750 from selling my car. I am moving to LSC to get a job and a reasonable apartment where the nice SLC landlords will treat us fairly. I can't even imagine making $60,000 a year even combined!
Not sure about whether you have children or not, but starsandmountains has two kids, and perhaps wants to have a house with a mortgage. Very different from a budget while renting an apartment. Perhaps $60,000 a year is a tight budget for their financial circumstances. It really isn't fair to compare circumstances here.

Starsandmountains, you should be okay on a budget like this if you play it smart, and you should still have money left over for savings, and extra play. $60,000 is around the average of a Utah household. Good luck in your move!

Old 06-08-2007, 11:04 AM

668 posts, read 82,357 times
Default $750 on a train?

For a temporary place to stay while you two are looking for jobs and apartments you might want to stay a couple months in a hostel:

Camelot - Hostels Salt Lake City UT (broken link)

Good luck to you people, I'm heading that way myself.

Trebek

Old 06-08-2007, 09:06 PM

18 posts, read 129,589 times
So helpful, thank you. My husband and I are reseraching several relocations. We find our minimum combined salary expectation at $60K. We are asking what lifestyle we can afford on $60K at a minimum for several places. I saw others ask this type question and it seemed a good way to feel out a new home for our family. Apologies if my post annoyed some folks, no offense was intended.

Old 06-09-2007, 03:41 AM

618 posts, read 1,800,065 times
You shouldn't have to apologize.... you had every right to give details of your situation, and ask for the advice you did. There was nothing wrong with your original post. Good luck hun!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:08 AM

7,728 posts, read 8,900,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsandmountains View Post
We are planning on moving from Nevada to SLC. I have read here the salaries are low in SLC. My husband is a ACF Certified Sous Chef, I have early childhood educator credentials (CDA, NAC, Montessori Certificication, and 12 ECE credits). Will we be able to earn combined $60,000 in SLC? Is that a good minimum income for SLC? Where should we look to live with two small children?
You might be. It depends on what area.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:08 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,608,705 times
Default Sous Chef

....ahh the good old days I was a sous Chef for awhile and was in the catering business for about 10 years. I sold out and became a meteorologist

60K a year should put you on par for a lot of areas along the Wasatch Front. I would say the biggest issue you will ace is getting a house. Prices have gone up fiercely her in the last 3-4 years.

Do you know where your husband will be working? The commute into SLC from the "burbs" can be a hassle. However...I work shifts...so not traveling during rush hour is a dream.

Northern Davis county is still more affordable...on the west side of I-15 (Clearfield/Syracuse/Roy) there are some values left to be found. There will be a nre freeway opening in the next year that will make communting to the west side of the SL Valley easier...but not much for downtown.

Best of luck...PM me anytime I love to talk food!

Brandon

Old 06-11-2007, 02:24 PM

378 posts, read 1,308,504 times
$60K as others have said would be tight. My wife and I (no kids) travel a lot and eat out 2 times a day so $60K wouldn't take us too far. Are you talking about $60K take home or $60K salary?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area