Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:39 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,955,587 times

Advertisements

We are from NJ and we made the adjustment just fine. I am not going anywhere. I LOVE Utah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 01:49 PM

27,962 posts, read 29,792,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
We are from NJ and we made the adjustment just fine. I am not going anywhere. I LOVE Utah!
And we are so glad you're not going anywhere, because we love you, too!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:09 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,677,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
And we are so glad you're not going anywhere, because we love you, too!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:03 PM

Awww...I DO feel loved. Thanks guys. You just made my day! (BIG GROUP HUG!!!)

Old 04-16-2010, 05:19 PM

128 posts, read 267,009 times
What about the opposite? I've lived in utah my whole life growing up in Ogden and now going to the U. But I was thinking of moving for the summer up to Bergen County in New Jersey with a friend, how do you think a utahn would fit in living up there? I'm not LDS and I do live a pretty social lifestyle, would it be to much to fast or what?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 PM

43 posts, read 113,672 times
Berger, you'd be fine. I think there is a bit of culture shock anytime you make a big move, ya know?

I think there are nice people and difficult people everywhere.

I guess you have to get used to sarcastic humor? But at least you are warned.

Katiedid, I'm glad you post because you make me feel like we can do this. It's a big move with kids and jobs and stuff. We just need a better life.

dmorris, my husband is from Queens and we lived there for a few years.

Old 04-16-2010, 06:32 PM

Strawberry, I think you will be just fine here. It WAS a huge change and a big shock. It did take some getting used to and a good few years before we finally felt like it was home. I didn't hate it here. I always liked it, but it just wasn't what I was used to.

Just like anything, it is mind over matter. You have to want to be happy in order to make it happen. Although we moved sans kids (we didn't have them until we had been here a couple of years), we did just pack up and leave without jobs. We found an apartment long distance and didn't have internet back then to research. We only subscribed to the local Sunday paper and had it mailed to us to look for jobs.

Utah was everything Jersey wasn't. Some of that is good, and some of bad. For us, the good outweighed the bad. When I had my down moments and I would miss "home", I just looked outside at the mountains and beautiful sunset to remind me why we moved in the first place. You can find the better life here...just don't expect the "perfect" life. Perfection is ellusive.

Old 04-16-2010, 07:30 PM

43 posts, read 113,672 times
Thanks Kaytidid. Hugs from New Jersey (with a New Yawk accent)

I'd be out of here in a flash. We are very trapped in this house and the housing market is not exactly kicking. Jobs? I think we could pick something up. It's the house. The HOUSE! I'm tearing my hair out with this house, the mortgage, the upkeep and the taxes! I don't think we'd make any profit on the house...

Eventually, we are going to bail out of NJ. I keep praying (literally) that God will show us what to do and how to do it. I keep thinking "there has to be something better than this!"

We are going to try really hard to get there next month or so. I just have to get there and see it...see if this plan can really be something to work towards.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:47 PM

27,962 posts, read 29,792,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry Love View Post
Thanks Kaytidid. Hugs from New Jersey (with a New Yawk accent)

I'd be out of here in a flash. We are very trapped in this house and the housing market is not exactly kicking. Jobs? I think we could pick something up. It's the house. The HOUSE! I'm tearing my hair out with this house, the mortgage, the upkeep and the taxes! I don't think we'd make any profit on the house...

Eventually, we are going to bail out of NJ. I keep praying (literally) that God will show us what to do and how to do it. I keep thinking "there has to be something better than this!"

We are going to try really hard to get there next month or so. I just have to get there and see it...see if this plan can really be something to work towards.
The real down side of moving to Salt Lake is that you'll be so far from New Yawk!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:45 PM

8 posts, read 21,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berger123 View Post
What about the opposite? I've lived in utah my whole life growing up in Ogden and now going to the U. But I was thinking of moving for the summer up to Bergen County in New Jersey with a friend, how do you think a utahn would fit in living up there? I'm not LDS and I do live a pretty social lifestyle, would it be to much to fast or what?
bergen county, in my opinion, is probably one of the worst areas in NJ just because it has a lot of everything i hate about the state. the good part is that it is very close to new york city, but for that reason it is very expensive. and just because it costs a lot doesn't mean it is a great place to live. what towns are you looking at? newark? shoot yourself in the face right now and save the airfare. ah, that might be a little harsh. they are cleaning newark up slowly. hoboken is your best bet in that area. jersey city and bayonne are coming into their own, but they are all very urban. lots to do at night: bars, restaurants, clubs, theaters, 20 minute train into new york city, tons of diversity, definitely exciting, but people are stacked on top of each other in that area. crowded. don't make eye contact. keep your head down and keep to yourself.

also, be prepared for pollution. that area is surrounded by busy ports and industrial complexes. the smell of garbage and chemicals on the turnpike can be overwhelming in the summer. but again, lots of culture and things to do at night.

if you want to come to jersey, i'd suggest getting a little further from new york city. i live in new brunswick, only a 50-minute train ride into nyc. fun little college town. home to rutgers university. not quite the nightlife of hoboken, but you get a smaller town feel with a rowdy college crowd. it is still somewhat urban though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area