U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 9,209 times

Advertisements

I've heard that there's not much diversity in SLC and I know it must have been a culture shock for some of the victims of Hurrican Katrina to relocate there. From what I read about Salt Lake City is that there's an increasing hispanic and asian population. Besides some of the recent influx of non white people, is it still the most white of all the major cities?

Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM

5,598 posts, read 16,997,870 times
I think it depends on how one defines a "major" city.

Everything that I've read says Portland Oregon is "the whitest major American city." However, I think they're basing that on cities with over a 500,000 population. Although the greater Salt Lake area has over a million population, SLC proper doesn't. So I guess that's why it's left out of the listing.

It would be an interesting question if you took the greater SLC area and put it into the mix. Would it then qualify as the "whitest?" ...I don't know. Does anybody have more information on this?

Old 06-09-2007, 04:07 PM

129 posts, read 459,925 times
Well, I live in SLC and I'm brown! (seriously, it might have been the "whitest" once upon a time, but I don't think it is now. There are Polynesians, Hispanics, Blacks, Orientals, etc.; you can see them on the streets, in the cars, on the Trak, everywhere)

Old 06-11-2007, 01:44 PM

378 posts, read 1,694,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
Well, I live in SLC and I'm brown! (seriously, it might have been the "whitest" once upon a time, but I don't think it is now. There are Polynesians, Hispanics, Blacks, Orientals, etc.; you can see them on the streets, in the cars, on the Trak, everywhere)
LOL Orientals isn't a word to describe people...try Asians. I just came back from a business trip in Chicago and Millwakee......yes SLC is one of the whitest cities in America...also one of the cleanest too!

Old 06-11-2007, 07:16 PM

Dearest Elder Shawn---ever mindful that we are to seek learning I grabbing the olde Websters and looked up 'Asian' and lo and behold it says: "Asiatic," so pursuing 'Asiatic' I discovered that that also meant, among other things: "a native or inhabitant of Asia."

Delving further I looked up 'Oriental' and was informed that meant "eastern; opposed to occidental," and "a native of the Orient or a member of a people native to that region."

Pray tell, what am I missing here? I be eager to learn---

Old 06-11-2007, 07:30 PM

668 posts, read 496,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elder_Shawn View Post
......yes SLC is one of the whitest cities in America...also one of the cleanest too!
Your not saying that since SLC is one of the whitest cities: Therefore it's also one of the cleanest???

Are you?

Naw.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:47 PM

5,598 posts, read 16,997,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek View Post
Your not saying that since SLC is one of the whitest cities: Therefore it's also one of the cleanest???

Are you?

Naw.

*laughs* I cringed when I first read that too. But me too, "naw." I'm sure that's not what Elder Shawn meant to imply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LlasaLost View Post
Dearest Elder Shawn---ever mindful that we are to seek learning I grabbing the olde Websters and looked up 'Asian' and lo and behold it says: "Asiatic," so pursuing 'Asiatic' I discovered that that also meant, among other things: "a native or inhabitant of Asia."

Delving further I looked up 'Oriental' and was informed that meant "eastern; opposed to occidental," and "a native of the Orient or a member of a people native to that region."

Pray tell, what am I missing here? I be eager to learn---
Here's an interesting take from somebody of Asian descent from more than a decade ago even after the tide started to turn when calling somebody of Asian descent an "Oriental" became unacceptable:

A Guide to Asian American Empowerment - On ''Asian'' and ''Oriental''

An Asian friend told me that you call a person an Asian and a vase an oriental.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:52 PM

668 posts, read 496,350 times
Yeah, I doubt he meant anything by it. Sometimes words, when put together can convey the wrong idea.

Thanks for the Guide that explains what "Asians" like to be called. I had no idea that Oriental was offensive to some.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:53 PM

Hi, Scirocco22---So much for olde Websters! Thanks for the reference--even thought I tend to hate all things 'politically correct'---but it hasn't cleared much up for me either, as per:

"The upshot is to use whatever word you feel most comfortable with, or that makes your listeners most comfortable, but don't be surprised if someone takes offense. And in the time you save by not worrying about word-usage, try to make the world a better place."

So---guess you'll all have to cut me some slack as I'm most comfortable one day, one way, the other day, the other way! Maybe if we knew if the person we're referring to is actually from the Orient/Asia, or is an Asian-American, or Oriental-American!!!???!!! Anyway, I plan to ponder it all while I'm out trying to make the world a better place.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM

378 posts, read 1,694,856 times
This thread is awesome! Yeah sorry guys / gals I didn't mean to imply that white = clean...I've been to quite a few nasty trailer parks so that theory goes right out the window. I once knelt for prayer with a lady and came away with a mixture of cat urine/feces and spoiled breast milk from the carpet. That was a low point for my life.

I took a class for my diversity credit at the U called "Asian American Experience." I always thought it was a sham for my afro-American friends to take black appreciation classes, so I thought I'd return the favor. We learned that Oriental should only be reserved for objects and flavors from the orient. Asians are appropriate since we all look the same anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or