Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 PM

34 posts, read 115,842 times

Advertisements

In the next few months, it's possible that my husband and I will be moving to Ogden. (My husband may end up with a job at Hinckley Airport.) Because we both were raised and live in the South, I'm concerned about a move so far west. I have several questions for everyone:

1. My husband and I are devout Christians. Will we feel isolated in the Ogden area?

2. I am a middle school teacher. Would I have a difficult time finding a job?

3. If I can't find a job as a teacher, I plan to be a stay-at-home mom. My husband would make around $70-$80K a year. What kind of a house could we afford on just one salary. (In our little Southern state, this salary goes a long way; I'm not sure that would be the case in Utah.)

4. Where are some good places to rent and/or buy in the area? Are there any small towns withing driving distance of the airport that are better than Ogden?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 PM

27,914 posts, read 29,742,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz_girl View Post
In the next few months, it's possible that my husband and I will be moving to Ogden. (My husband may end up with a job at Hinckley Airport.) Because we both were raised and live in the South, I'm concerned about a move so far west. I have several questions for everyone:

1. My husband and I are devout Christians. Will we feel isolated in the Ogden area?

3. If I can't find a job as a teacher, I plan to be a stay-at-home mom. My husband would make around $70-$80K a year. What kind of a house could we afford on just one salary. (In our little Southern state, this salary goes a long way; I'm not sure that would be the case in Utah.)

4. Where are some good places to rent and/or buy in the area? Are there any small towns withing driving distance of the airport that are better than Ogden?

I'm not from Ogden and have never lived there, so I'll let someone else answer most of your questions. I'd just like to point out that there are thousands of devout Christians in the Ogden area. I'm not sure why you are worried about feeling isolated.

In terms of your husband's salary, $70-$80K a year isn't bad. I know of quite a few families that make it on that income. You may have a hard time finding a teaching position, though, so I'm glad that being a stay-at-home mom is an option for you.

Old 04-17-2010, 09:08 PM

128 posts, read 266,617 times
Hey dz girl I have grown up in Ogden and actually just graduated a couple years back and you shouldn't have any problems fitting in. Ogden is one of the most diverse area's in the state. I went to Ogden High and over half of the school was hispanic, which is a good thing because it's great to see so many different kinds of people. The thing about Ogden is that the inner city has a really bad rep between about 30th street to 12th street, and harrison to washington blvd. But it isn't as bad as people make it out to be, anyways though with that salary I would look towards the East bench of Ogden, South Ogden area, or the North Ogden area.

Personally South Ogden is really nice look into the Shadow Valley area and down by the Ogden Athletic club. Also since your a middle school teacher I'm sure you can find a job the schools have been growing quickly and the districts don't have much money... But I'm sure you can find a job out here.

Anyways I hope that I helped you in any way possible, I love Ogden and will help anyone that is wanting to make the move out here its a great city. Goodluck!

Old 04-18-2010, 07:05 AM

14,336 posts, read 14,137,407 times

.................................................. ................................................

1. No. As others have pointed out, there are many other faiths in the area even though the LDS faith is predominant. You can find virtually any kind of a church that you want: Baptist; Presbyterian; Methodist; Catholic; and some non-denominational Christian churches as well.

2. Probably so. The recession has cut into government budgets here as well as every state in the country. My hunch though is that Utah may come out of the recession faster than many other states do because it never got as bad as it did in many states.

3. A 70K to 80K income would be relatively comfortable for a family here that didn't insist on alot of luxury items.

4. I think your best bets would be Roy and Riverdale. They are right next to the airport and are good areas. I think you could find alot of houses there in the low 200K price range for sale.

The Hinckley Airport ought to be a good place to work. Its not overly crowded with flights. Virtually all flights are just private and corporate passenger planes.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:48 PM

20 posts, read 109,044 times
Moderator cut: prohibited by TOS
I would recommend West Haven, Hooper, Roy, North Ogden or Pleasant View as possible locations for you. You will likely be purchasing a home under $240,000 which can get you a sizable lot and/or a sizable home depending on your preferences.

Ogden City has more religious and ethnic diversity than any of the above locations however. If you love old historic homes. This might be worth looking at. There are beautiful homes snuggled right up against the mountain that would work within your price range.

Moderator cut: prohibited by TOS

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-24-2010 at 02:22 PM..

Old 04-24-2010, 02:05 PM

427 posts, read 1,300,979 times
Ogden is diverse in religion. There's a number of decent places in the actual city and you'll get a great price on a house. You just need to look around. There's a number of historic districts, and the farther east you go (towards the mountains) typically the nicer. Their downtown is actually very cool and second in the state only to Salt Lake City, and there's been and continues to be a number of new developments there.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:59 PM

Thank you all so much! My husband and I will be coming to Ogden at the end of the month. I'm very excited!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,601 times
dz_girl,

Ogden is a great city and I love living here. There are a lot of stay at home moms and families that live on one income around here. Moderator cut: no ads

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 05-13-2010 at 06:04 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 8,217 times
I am moving to Ogden, UT this summer to start work as a school teacher in a new charter school in Riverdale. Any advice you can give me would be useful! My husband and I will probably have a combined salary of about $50,000 when all is said and done. So we aren't rich - are there decent smaller houses or duplexes in the 800-900/mo range in decent neighborhoods? We just want to avoid "bad" neighborhoods, but don't have children, so school district doesn't matter. I am so excited! Even though I will miss the ocean living here in Bellingham, WA.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Well, my husband got the job! He'll move to Ogden in October, and once this upcoming school year is over, I'll move to Ogden. (I'm staying behind to complete my teaching contract and sell our current house.) We're so excited! Thank you all so much for the advice! I'm sure that I'll be posting more questions later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area