Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 09:08 AM

58 posts, read 112,907 times

Advertisements

I've read some posts and also have single friends that have lived in SLC for temporary periods of time. They tell me that being single and older in SLC is going to be extremely challenging etc.

So I ask the local readers here, will I feel almost like a pariah when it comes to singlehood and possibly other potential single prospects if I am living in the greater SLC area?

Also. Are kids almost overpowering in SLC? As in like they are at every kind of restaurant or indoor public venue in droves? Don't get me wrong. I do like kids. Totally understandable in comunities, parks etc. But screaming babies and 4-8 y/os runnning around places I'd like to sit in and realx for dinner or lunch like a restaurant chain pub or other places could get old for me.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 02:11 PM

427 posts, read 1,301,593 times
Seems like you'd fit in fine with Salt Lake City. I don't think there's a lot of kids there at all - that's mostly in the suburbs.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:54 PM

Thank you for the reply Mr Anderson. I hope my original post didn't come across anti kids or anything. I've just derived the kids factor from prior posts on this forum.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM

498 posts, read 1,450,945 times
If you had lots of kids, you certainly wouldn't want to take them everywhere. So no, that's not really an "overpowering" characteristic of this area.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:11 PM

I'm glad we both agree with that logic. My hope is that most large, families with lots of young kids do also.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM

427 posts, read 1,301,593 times
I suppose it's like most places. If you go to a pub or sports bar, you're probably not going to see children. If you're going to Chili's, you probably will. But yeah, Salt Lake has a lot of singles, gay couples, college students, etc. The smaller houses in the city (because houses were built smaller back when Salt Lake developed) contributes to a lot of bigger families living in the suburbs with newer, larger homes.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnderson View Post
I suppose it's like most places. If you go to a pub or sports bar, you're probably not going to see children. If you're going to Chili's, you probably will. But yeah, Salt Lake has a lot of singles, gay couples, college students, etc. The smaller houses in the city (because houses were built smaller back when Salt Lake developed) contributes to a lot of bigger families living in the suburbs with newer, larger homes.
Sounds like anywhere else. Thank you all for the helpful input.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:23 PM

360 posts, read 1,123,824 times
An older single guy in SLC, and even downtown has very little chance of finding what they are looking for, in terms of dating. So to say it is challenging is an understatement.

Most bars are overrun with college students now, recent liquor changes have gotten rid of the private club memberships, and even the complex I was living in (Trolley Square area) is mostly rented out by college students from the U.

I would try meetup.com to find like minded, like age singles, because you will not see them out on the town.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:35 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,731,780 times
Definitely stick to the city. The further out you go the more the kids swarm is. It's nearly unbearable out in the burbs as for some reason no matter what, the parunts insist upon dragging the entire family, screaming kids and all, EVERYWHERE. And even decent restaurants are fair game. You just about have to find a restaurant that has NO kids menu nor caters to young ones to avoid them. Even Iggie's Sports Bar is full of them most of the time. I'm thinking perhaps Spencer's Steak House, where the average meal is around $40+ a person and no kids menu might be an option ;-) I make it no secret there is NO love lost between those under 21 and myself. So for me it's a real challenge to put up with living around these parts. Makes my vacations wonderful however.... a real breath of fresh air OUT of State.........no "Staycations" for me thanks......

Old 05-05-2010, 02:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,827,123 times
Interesting thread, I'd be in the same boat. Someone recently contacted me about a job opportunity out there. Always thought living in the mountains would be nice, but SLC has a different vibe to it.

Its hard when your 40 anywhere to meet new folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area