Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 PM

77 posts, read 281,821 times

Advertisements

I was just pondering this week the fact that I still don't quite know what is meant by SLC freeway/location terms like "spaghetti bowl," "north interchange," etc. I remembered this thread, and when I did a quick search of the forum came across some great posts and thought I'd link this one as it fits perfectly and others might find it useful:

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Point of the mountain is just that.....the place where the south end of Salt Lake County meets the north end of Utah county. The southernmost city in Salt Lake county along I-15 is Bluffdale, the northernmost city in Utah county along I-15 is Highland I think....or it could be Cedar Hills or Alpine. The point of the mountain is also a known place of possible bad weather (blowing snow, strong winds).

The spaghetti bowl, is the area where I-15, I-80 and Highway 201 intersect with various collectors and on/off ramps. Interstate 15 went through a major reconstruction to prepare for the winter olympics of 2002. It was in need of repair/revamping anyway. The olypmics just gave us federal funding to help with the cost. During the reconstruction, I think some of those ramps were reconfigured.

The north interchange is where Interstate 215 intersects with Interstate 15 at the north end of the Salt Lake Valley.

Here's a map of the Salt Lake valley showing some major roads. Use the arrows and zoom features on the Google map to look around.

Hope this helps.
Only one I'm still wondering about- what is the "west belt" (I assume the west part of 215?)? I just recently figured out the 201 is also called the "21st South Freeway."
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 PM

27,862 posts, read 29,668,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghungroo View Post
I was just pondering this week the fact that I still don't quite know what is meant by SLC freeway/location terms like "spaghetti bowl," "north interchange," etc. I remembered this thread, and when I did a quick search of the forum came across some great posts and thought I'd link this one as it fits perfectly and others might find it useful:

Only one I'm still wondering about- what is the "west belt" (I assume the west part of 215?)? I just recently figured out the 201 is also called the "21st South Freeway."
I drive the west part of I215 every day, and I've always thought of it as the west belt. I don't know what the "north interchange" is either. Can somebody tell me and Ghungroo?

Old 06-30-2010, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 11,435 times
I am moving to Utah and the number system has my head spinning! Of course, I am more than a little dyslexic with numbers. Every agent that asks what I'm looking for in a house...my answer is: "Street must have a NAME, not just numbers, a townhouse with an attached garage, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, fireplace..."

I know it's silly, but numbers have always intimidated me and I'm afraid I'll never get my home address right if it doesn't have an actual name!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,780,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezinbyu View Post
I know it's silly, but numbers have always intimidated me and I'm afraid I'll never get my home address right if it doesn't have an actual name!
Uhmmm ..... OK ....

You may be in luck in some areas, where the streets are actually identified by the *name* AND *the number*.
Not ALL, but I would say 75% ??

Old 06-30-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
I am moving to Utah and the number system has my head spinning! Of course, I am more than a little dyslexic with numbers. Every agent that asks what I'm looking for in a house...my answer is: "Street must have a NAME, not just numbers, a townhouse with an attached garage, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, fireplace..."

LOL! I much prefer that streets also have names, but only because I like the sound of nice street names. I promise you, though, once you catch on to this system, you'll love it. It is NOT anywhere as difficult as you are making it.

Old 07-01-2010, 12:29 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,943,261 times
Katz is soo right! When I first moved here, I thought I would NEVER get the hang of it. I had natives tell me to just look at the mountains to figure out my directions. The big ones were to the east, the small ones to the west. PULEEZZZEEE...I was from NJ! They were ALL big mountains! It didn't take long at all to figure out what they were saying and getting the swing of finding someplace. I didn't need directions anymore like I did back east. With an address, you can find any place!

I still prefer my address to have a name, but now, I have to know that names number coordinate!

Old 07-01-2010, 01:15 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,161,580 times
Quote:

You sound like my wife, she hates the numbers so I bought her a GPS unit. I like the numbers, once it clicks you get it.

A lot of newer areas have names, our community Daybreak is all named streets. Villages MapDaybreak

Old 07-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
i had natives tell me to just look at the mountains to figure out my directions. The big ones were to the east, the small ones to the west. Puleezzzeee...i was from nj! They were all big mountains!
:d lol! :d

Old 07-06-2010, 10:56 AM

555 posts, read 1,648,760 times
I dunno... I still like the scheme where I grew up... just seems a bit more intuitive as there isn't so much redudancy... taking 300 West to 300 North just doesn't sit well in my mind...My address growing up was 105 11th Ave NW... as a 105 everyone knew it was between 1st Street and 2nd Street.... as NW people knew it was the 11th avenue North of Main Street and West of Collins Avenue. All streets were East West, all avenues were North South...To me, having the number split the quadrant of the city just bugs my mind a bit. I'm sure I'll get used to it in time, it's definitely not difficult... simply not the way I'd have done it.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:59 AM

555 posts, read 1,648,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytidid View Post
Katz is soo right! When I first moved here, I thought I would NEVER get the hang of it. I had natives tell me to just look at the mountains to figure out my directions. The big ones were to the east, the small ones to the west. PULEEZZZEEE...I was from NJ! They were ALL big mountains! It didn't take long at all to figure out what they were saying and getting the swing of finding someplace. I didn't need directions anymore like I did back east. With an address, you can find any place!

I still prefer my address to have a name, but now, I have to know that names number coordinate!
My realtor told me the same thing... I responded in much the same way! Of course, I can get lost in Walmart so my sense of direction in general just isn't that great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area