U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 PM

16 posts, read 46,503 times

Advertisements

I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually, but this post was so helpful. I've pretty much been able to get around SLC and the surrounding suburbs without ever turning on my GPS. Very simple... I'm really liking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 AM

21,166 posts, read 20,791,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miketmartin View Post
I'm sure I would have figured it out eventually, but this post was so helpful. I've pretty much been able to get around SLC and the surrounding suburbs without ever turning on my GPS. Very simple... I'm really liking it.
I'm so glad to hear that! It's a different system to be sure, but once it clicks in your head, it couldn't be easier.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:48 PM

3 posts, read 14,513 times
Default Getting around in Utah

I don't care what any of you say to the contrary, I find it extremely difficult to get around in this city. If one has to decipher that 1300 E 500S (or some such, it doesn't make any sense) means 1300 E ON 500S, or that it is 13, 130, or 1300 blocks eastof some other point, so that you then are some X hundred blocks west,of some other point ( and you have to remember what points in each direction) I think is ridiculous. It is much easier,to say the 1300 block of Main street, like in other metropolitan cities.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM

1,294 posts, read 2,707,518 times
Agreed that its difficult at first, no question. But once you figure it out, its almost impossible to get lost, because instead of just saying Main St, if you are on 1300 E you know if you head west you will be back at Main and Center.

My biggest beef is how boring it is. And I am so sick of every Non-Utahn I tell my address to not get it. Although I completely understand why.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:01 PM

13,407 posts, read 24,145,794 times
Salt Lake City was the easiest city I have ever navigated. I wish everyplace else was like it!

Here's another tip. Big mountains, east. Little mountains, west. Whenever you get turned around, you can always reorient yourself.

Old 07-17-2012, 04:57 PM

21,166 posts, read 20,791,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junebug0603 View Post
I don't care what any of you say to the contrary, I find it extremely difficult to get around in this city. If one has to decipher that 1300 E 500S (or some such, it doesn't make any sense) means 1300 E ON 500S, or that it is 13, 130, or 1300 blocks eastof some other point, so that you then are some X hundred blocks west,of some other point ( and you have to remember what points in each direction) I think is ridiculous. It is much easier,to say the 1300 block of Main street, like in other metropolitan cities.
Your "explanation" clearly shows how confused you are. The system actually works remarkably well for people who are able to make a distinction between the numbers 13, 130 and 1300. Those who are not will inevitably think that "it doesn't make any sense" or is "extremely difficult."

Last edited by Katzpur; 07-17-2012 at 06:15 PM..

Old 01-26-2013, 03:26 AM

654 posts, read 1,551,873 times
I wanted to add on here another tip for finding an address. The even numbered addresses will always be on your right as you head away from the point zero location. Point zero in Salt Lake County would be the intersection of South Temple and Main.

For example, if you are west of the point zero, aka west of Main Street, and heading west, then the even numbered addresses will be on your right. Just making up an address here to illustrate so let's use 1714 W 7000 S in West Jordan. The address is of course on 7000 South and you are west of Main so the building numbered 1714 West will be your right as you are heading west. Remember, west means toward the shorter, more distant mountains.

This works in every direction and, I believe, in all areas on the grid pattern. For sure it works on the streets in Salt Lake and Utah valleys. I hope this makes sense. It was how it was explained to me.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:42 PM

15 posts, read 37,290 times
Neighborhoods can get messy once you start creeping up into the foothills, though. Cottonwood heights is a mess, as are the neighborhoods surrounding the other canyons or up around the University. Still, it's not nearly as bad as places I've lived back East. The grid system is intuitive, and there's no excuse for getting lost if you have a smartphone.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:55 PM

57 posts, read 115,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Salt Lake City was the easiest city I have ever navigated. I wish everyplace else was like it!

Here's another tip. Big mountains, east. Little mountains, west. Whenever you get turned around, you can always reorient yourself.
We moved here in July and were completely confused at first. Now we love it and even commented during our travels over Thanksgiving that we wish all city streets were numbered like SLC!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM

3,971 posts, read 11,413,238 times
Yeah, the numbered streets can be a bit confusing, but the temple example, once you understand it, makes it quite easy.

The freeway system is pretty simple compared to other big metro areas. Going North or South, listen or check for traffic reports and avoid problems by either moving to I-215, or staying on I-15. Most congestion is on I-15, but not always. The I-215 bypass is usually trouble-free, and only adds 10 minutes when conditions are similar.

The East/West freeways can be a little confusing. Just remember that the I-80 connection in SLC requires a few miles on I-15. Follow the signs and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area