Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:36 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,040,892 times

Advertisements

I realize that the posters on this thread who cite Mormons lacking humor appear to be mis-informed, and/or speak from a lack of experience and research.

I agree religion has nothing to do with level of sense of humor, and in no way is any observation particular to any individual group in the State, but from my experience, you do have to tread lightly humor wise both when visiting the State as well as here on the boards. I have made several attempts at light hearted humor, most if not all unsuccessful, and do not see anyone else to speak of attempting humor here.

Also, it is difficult to inspire a Utah poster (meaning someone posting on Utah boards, not necessarily a resident) to go above and beyond the call regarding infromation or activities, etc. that they inquire about here. On more than a few occasions I have seen a poster receive some very bland/canned advice and some inspired advice from different members. Many times they take the bland advice, even posting to thank the bland advice giver, the more inspired version going by ignored. Posters here seem to have a narrow comfort zone.

Rebuttals, aguments to the contrary please, I WANT to be wrong regarding these observations.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:32 PM

27,930 posts, read 29,774,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
Also, it is difficult to inspire a Utah poster (meaning someone posting on Utah boards, not necessarily a resident) to go above and beyond the call regarding infromation or activities, etc. that they inquire about here. On more than a few occasions I have seen a poster receive some very bland/canned advice and some inspired advice from different members. Many times they take the bland advice, even posting to thank the bland advice giver, the more inspired version going by ignored. Posters here seem to have a narrow comfort zone.
I don't know if you're right or wrong, but I've posted on the forums of two other states asking for information before visiting there, and have received advice that was considerably "blander" than most that I see coming out of the Utah forum.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I don't know if you're right or wrong, but I've posted on the forums of two other states asking for information before visiting there, and have received advice that was considerably "blander" than most that I see coming out of the Utah forum.

But if two forms of advice where given, one bland, one inspired, I think you would at least give equal consideration to both, and would probably lean toward the inspired. Even if it required more effort to enact and maybe pushed you out of your normal comfort zone.

Example: I'm coming to Maine and want a good lobster dinner

Advice A: Go to such and such restaurant in so and so town.

Advice B: There's a lobsterman's cooperative on "B" street that will prepare a lobster dinner to take out, grab two lawn chairs and a folding table and head to the park on the bluff overlooking the ocean and harbor (stay at least 20 yards back from bluff or you'll get sprayed by a breaker) going at sunset is best time, fantastic picnic spot anytime. Five times the experience at one third the price.

Old 06-02-2010, 04:18 PM

146 posts, read 494,218 times
Quote:
I realize that the posters on this thread who cite Mormons lacking humor appear to be mis-informed, and/or speak from a lack of experience and research.

I agree religion has nothing to do with level of sense of humor, and in no way is any observation particular to any individual group in the State, but from my experience, you do have to tread lightly humor wise both when visiting the State as well as here on the boards. I have made several attempts at light hearted humor, most if not all unsuccessful, and do not see anyone else to speak of attempting humor here.

Rebuttals, aguments to the contrary please, I WANT to be wrong regarding these observations.
Meh, I find lots of Mormons to be funny. For real. Maybe not a stuffed shirt type of person, but that's the case anywhere. They even enjoy jokes that poke fun at themselves.

for example, "How do you keep a Mormon from drinking all the beer when you take him fishing? Bring another Mormon".

Maybe I deal mostly with rural Mormon types, who can be pretty colorful.

And my family, they love jokes and they are active Mormons. They kind of expect the salty jokes to come from me, the Jack Mormon, but I keep it in check and they giggle away without a care in the world, sometimes funeral potatoes squirt out their nose and they shart jello they laugh so hard.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauka View Post
Meh, I find lots of Mormons to be funny. For real. Maybe not a stuffed shirt type of person, but that's the case anywhere. They even enjoy jokes that poke fun at themselves.

for example, "How do you keep a Mormon from drinking all the beer when you take him fishing? Bring another Mormon".

Maybe I deal mostly with rural Mormon types, who can be pretty colorful.

And my family, they love jokes and they are active Mormons. They kind of expect the salty jokes to come from me, the Jack Mormon, but I keep it in check and they giggle away without a care in the world, sometimes funeral potatoes squirt out their nose and they shart jello they laugh so hard.
Thank you Makua for this ray of hope, you are a very well informed and positive poster. I must say I did find the population to be more light hearted and colorful in more rural Eden and Huntsville (I just though maybe it was the water or something..LOL).

You live in P.C.... should I focus on an area with a level of ruralness equal or greater than P.C...? Which of the SLC neighborhoods would be the most light hearted yet still be an upscale/nice place to live?

Since you where kind enough to break the ice, here's my contribution:

How many Mormons does it take to change a lightbulb...?

Four

One to say opening prayer
One to change the bulb
One to say closing prayer
One to serve refreshments......

"If your not LDS, you belong to a Non-Prophet Organization...

Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Thank you Makua for this ray of hope, you are a very well informed and positive poster. I must say I did find the population to be more light hearted and colorful in more rural Eden and Huntsville (I just though maybe it was the water or something..LOL).

You live in P.C.... should I focus on an area with a level of ruralness equal or greater than P.C...? Which of the SLC neighborhoods would be the most light hearted yet still be an upscale/nice place to live?

Since you where kind enough to break the ice, here's my contribution:

How many Mormons does it take to change a lightbulb...?

Four

One to say opening prayer
One to change the bulb
One to say closing prayer
One to serve refreshments......

"If your not LDS, you belong to a Non-Prophet Organization...
Heh! That's true too, if you think about it. I remember service projects as a young boy and it could be no more than sweeping someones porch, but it followed that order exactly.

I have not seen the recent Utah Humor Index, published by the State of Utah where they break down the level of sense of humor per 1,000 population per county.

Honestly, I have just noticed that Mormons here in PC, and Summit County, and even Heber, are very colorful people, very few of them take themselves seriously. At least those who I have met.

I have friends from Ogden who are also funny, same with Davis County, Utah County, and SLC. Some are Mormon, some are not, some are Jack Mormon, but they all are pretty funny.

My gut tells me that you can probably move to the most straight laced Mormon community in Utah and still find some funny people. I wish the State of Utah would hurry up with that report though.

Now that I think about it, I would consider Ogden. Think about it, a small city like that actually has a the ability to support a comedy club ( wiseguyscomedy.com (http://www.wiseguyscomedy.com/new_asp/ogden.asp - broken link) ), that tells me there is a pretty high level of sense of humor per 1,000 population. Otherwise the market could not support it.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 17,068 times
Quote:
If that's not a bigoted, stereotypical generalization, I've never heard one.
Quote:
The first clue I usually have that someone is "less than informed" about Utah and the Mormons is when they start spelling "Morman" (sic) wrong. When I see that I wonder if we're about to start hearing tales about all the gentile women who are kidnapped and held prisoner in the temple.
Wow - lol - I am not bigoted, misinformed or generalizing, but rather speaking from my own experiences here and most definately am tired of 6 years of Mormon oppression. I could go into detail, but it would probably curl any non-LDS toes.

First of all you are correct, humor has nothing to do with religion and more with an individuals personality. As stated before my friend has a great sense of humor. Even though she no longer practices the Religion, she is still of the Mormon culture (born and raised) and always will be.

Secondly - no need to attack a person for a mis-type. If you reread my post, Mormon was spelled correctly on the line above. Oops sorry I hit the wrong key.

I will tell you that Utah has a lot of wonderful things here, if your into them. The skiing is great I hear, but I don't ski, the hiking and rock climbing is wonderful with alot of great wilderness, but I don't rock climb. Alot of people I have met really enjoy the full spectrum of outdoor activities that Utah has to offer.

If you are really into those activities you would probably love it here. However my personal interest do not include any of those activities. I personally prefer a greener area (meaning the color not the environmental awareness) and little or no snow will work for me. I have lived here for over 6 years, which is long enough to decide if an environment and culture work for you.

Apologize if you didn't want to hear both sides of peoples perspective on Utah, however it exists and people asking questions have the right to hear all opinions and decide for themselves.

No place is perfect and Utah, just like many other places, has it's share of gangs, drugs, crime and oppression of minority groups.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:47 PM

27,930 posts, read 29,774,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGTHEWEST View Post
Wow - lol - I am not bigoted, misinformed or generalizing, but rather speaking from my own experiences here and most definately am tired of 6 years of Mormon oppression. I could go into detail, but it would probably curl any non-LDS toes.
Please do. I am truly interested to hear your tale of woe.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGTHEWEST View Post
oppression of minority groups.
Oppression of minority groups?
Please give a couple of examples of oppression of minority groups within the state of Utah that doesn't include alcohol.

IMO even the alcohol laws are not oppressive.

I think your heightened sense of injustice may have advanced beyond the scope of reality.

Old 06-07-2010, 11:51 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,659,747 times
This thread has gradually wandered waaay off topic from the OP's questions. Closed.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area