Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 AM

224 posts, read 637,564 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm coming to this kind of late, but thought I would add my opinions on a couple of things.
First, Sandy is not technically a suburb. It is a city in its own right that has its own history. Salt Lake Valley has grown and surrounded it making it convenient for commuters to get into SL downtown. I know...just semantics.
Second, when you talk about jobs it is the entire SL valley that you are looking at and I'm not sure where you got the 4% unemployment, but April's unemployment for Utah was over 7% and SL county's just under at 6.8% http://jobs.utah.gov/wi/pubs/une/season.pdf . We've been dealing with unemployment at our household for the past year and it isn't easy.

Third, Sandy is a nice place but it is not homogenous. There are two high schools and Jordan is considered the working class school and Alta the snobby school. I personally don't agree with the generalization, and I expect it is nothing to compare to anything in SoCal, but there are differences...I'd put the dividing line at 13th east rather than 20th.

Apartment living is an entirely different ballgame and one I can't say much about.

There are plenty of churches to chose from, and they generally have very active congregations.

I don't think you can get more republican than Sandy. It about drives me nuts. I had a friend from Boston who was republican back there, but when he moved here turned democrat...even the republicans were too much for him.

The questions about doctors and lifestyle makes me smile. We are not hicks. :-)
But on the other hand if you don't want to change your lifestyle then why move?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 02:54 PM

15 posts, read 63,106 times
Thanks to everyone who gave positive and helpful feedback, thank you. I was looking today for pet stores, breeders, and rescues in or around Sandy UT. I have a kitten now who is a torbie (tortie and tabby combined) if anyone knows what that looks like. She is so cute. Somewhere down the line we may want to get a playmate for her. Here in south OC CA you can choose from hundreds of options on craigslist that are from free to affordable. Lots and lots of new pets posted every day. I was looking at the craigslist for UT SLC and ST George and it looks much more limiting. I wouldnt be looking for a purebred so I dont usually go for pet stores or breeders and with rescues its usually only older animals (at least in my area now). So craigslist is usually the way to go. I am wondering if maybe there is not as many available tabby sort of cats because of the more extreme temperatures there? Or if maybe its just not the right time of year for kittens right now there? Right now is kitten season here. But maybe more pets are available in warmer months in UT? I know thats a random question but I was just wondering.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:04 AM

2,502 posts, read 6,948,769 times
Tabby cats are a dime a dozen here too. Please don't buy a cat from a breeder. There are plenty of rescues and shelters.

You can also try the KSL classified ads, check under the pet section and also the free section! I looked at the shelter/rescue under the pet section and found lots of kittens.
ksl.com - Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds

Last edited by kaytidid; 05-26-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 12:54 AM

427 posts, read 1,300,803 times
Any incorporated area is a city, but Sandy is definitely also a suburb.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:20 AM

4 posts, read 4,933 times
Mormons are pretty friendly people, but just are very busy with family. People sometimes think they are cliquish, (did I spell that right?) but is is more that they are just very involved with their families. My street that I live on in Sandy is half and half. Mormons and Christians mix very well in our neighborhood. It really depends upon if you are the type of person who is willing to make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area