Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 01:24 PM

15 posts, read 63,049 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am interested in relocating to Sandy UT from CA. I have yet to visit Sandy but I have been to UT before around that area and liked it. It was cold compared to CA but other then that I liked the change. I am looking to relocate to Sandy and any info on the city would be great. I have read everything on there city website but there is not many pictures of this city. I like Sandy because its not far from SLC city, yet not in SLC. Ive read its a suburb which is exactly what I want. And from the apartments I have been looking at online its affordable (compared to CA). Im 26, white, female, christian, and republican. Im new to the snow (and nervous about learning to drive in it) but I like hiking and outdoor walks. I currently make about $20/hour and the apartments out here are $1100 to $1600/month for a 1 bedroom. I pay $1100/month (which is the cheapest in my area). I have years of sales, customer service, and management experience since I started working at 15. But I dont have a degree in anything yet. I want to take online classes or attend school part time. I think there is a school close to Sandy...in South Jodan or West Jordan? Anyone who is familair with this area can you fill me in. Do the jobs pay decent money? What does the average job pay? Is someone with lots of experience but no degree able to get a job there? Is it hard to get an apartment there? Here you have to make 3 to 4 times the amount of your rent and the run a strict credit check in CA. It was hard getting my apartment here in CA. Are the people nice and friendly or snobby in that area? What are the parks like or where else do people go out to exercise? What do people do for fun besides snow activities? What is the average temperature in Sandy UT in summer and winter? Are there churches for people in Sandy UT who are not LDS? Are most people Republican or Democrats in that area? Anything I should know that I forgot to ask? Im planning on taking a trip up there in Sept for a week to look at things too. But any info in the meantime would be very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 02:22 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,574,293 times
Run a "search this forum" for Sandy - there are plenty of threads about it.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 PM

494 posts, read 1,889,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissShelly View Post
Hello. I am interested in relocating to Sandy UT from CA. I have yet to visit Sandy but I have been to UT before around that area and liked it. It was cold compared to CA but other then that I liked the change. I am looking to relocate to Sandy and any info on the city would be great. I have read everything on there city website but there is not many pictures of this city. I like Sandy because its not far from SLC city, yet not in SLC. Ive read its a suburb which is exactly what I want. And from the apartments I have been looking at online its affordable (compared to CA). Im 26, white, female, christian, and republican. Im new to the snow (and nervous about learning to drive in it) but I like hiking and outdoor walks. I currently make about $20/hour and the apartments out here are $1100 to $1600/month for a 1 bedroom. I pay $1100/month (which is the cheapest in my area). I have years of sales, customer service, and management experience since I started working at 15. But I dont have a degree in anything yet. I want to take online classes or attend school part time. I think there is a school close to Sandy...in South Jodan or West Jordan? Anyone who is familair with this area can you fill me in. Do the jobs pay decent money? What does the average job pay? Is someone with lots of experience but no degree able to get a job there? Is it hard to get an apartment there? Here you have to make 3 to 4 times the amount of your rent and the run a strict credit check in CA. It was hard getting my apartment here in CA. Are the people nice and friendly or snobby in that area? What are the parks like or where else do people go out to exercise? What do people do for fun besides snow activities? What is the average temperature in Sandy UT in summer and winter? Are there churches for people in Sandy UT who are not LDS? Are most people Republican or Democrats in that area? Anything I should know that I forgot to ask? Im planning on taking a trip up there in Sept for a week to look at things too. But any info in the meantime would be very helpful.
1. Nice 1BR apartments start at $700. There are a ton of them - I have some friends that live at the Legends @ River Oaks and like it.
2. The job market is really rough. Without a degree, you may only make $9-$12 an hour (if you can find a job). Utah is notorious for having low wages. Universities in the area churn out too many graduates for the available jobs, which pushes college graduates down into jobs that do not require a degree.
3. For the most part, people are friendly in Utah. If you live above 2000 East, you may start getting snobby people, but there are few apartment complexes that far east.
4. The average temperature is the same for most of the valley. I would say that the average temperature during the peak of summer is 90+, and the average winter temperature is in the 30s (this is just guessing, I don't have data to back it up).
5. There are different churches (such as Christian or Baptist), but I don't have a lot of info.
6. As with the majority of Utah (with the exception of Salt Lake City), the area is largely Republican.
7. There is a private university in Sandy - Strayer University. I'm not too familiar with it. It would be a 45 minute ride on TRAX or a 30 minute drive to the University of Utah.

Just keep in mind that it is very suburban with a lot of families. I live in West Jordan, and it can be hard to make friends.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 AM

139 posts, read 499,352 times
Utah's job market, while one of the best in the country, it tight at best. Without a degree, you are really batting behind the curve. While there are jobs here, don't anticipate a California wage for them.

Cost of living is ok...it's not Texas or Oklahoma cheap, but it's not California expensive either.

If you are looking at going to school, Salt Lake Community College has several campuses around the valley, and is a good, inexpensive place to start. You also have the U of Utah (a great value as well) and Westminster, a private university in the Sugar House area.

Good luck!!

Old 05-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Is it really going to be that hard to get a job there? In CA I never had a problem finding work and I have no degree. Does UT just care about that a lot more? I make good money now (but not enough to keep up with our high cost of living). I have been a supervisor, and assistant manager at several different jobs and have been doing customer service since I was 15. Most companies are impressed with my resume. Do you think that they dont really care about experince in UT and just look for people with degrees? I dont have to make as much as Im making now because my rent wont be so high. I read here on city data that in Sandy UT the average household makes $80,000 a year. Where I live its only a little bit more, $90,000 per year per household. But the average rent here is $1,500 in my city. I make $45,000 per year. For doing the same amount of work there do you think I would make a lot less? I really want to live in UT. I just love everything I read and researched about Sandy. Im just nervous about the job market. I heard unemployment is only 4%. That makes it sound like people are doing pretty good. But again that could be because everyone has degrees. I am willing to get a degree once I get there but it will just take me a few years. My goal in moving is to be able to do the one thing I can afford to do here...buy a house. Not tomorrow...but eventually. The average house here is between $600,000 and 1.5 million. I read in Sandy its only about $300,000.

Old 05-18-2010, 10:48 PM

427 posts, read 1,299,900 times
If you have no problem there I don't see why'd you have a problem here. The key being you have a lot of years experience. BUT, you will probably get paid less.

Sandy is fine - it's one of the bigger suburbs of Salt Lake City. It's mostly single-family homes, but also has a light-rail line, some big malls, Rio Tinto stadium (home of the professional soccer team, Real Salt Lake) and office space. It's a nice, safe place, though you'd probably head to SLC for anything really fun

Old 05-19-2010, 01:39 PM

Thank you MrAnderson. That is pretty helpful! I understand I will most likely be paid less (as rent is less too). I just want to be able to work and afford an apartment. Being here in Democrat CA I just want a place that is more republican and safe while still being affordable. I have heard that if you move from another state going to college is more expensive. Do you know if that is true? I would like to go for a 2 year degree at a community college or maybe a trade like 9 month program.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:15 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,541,675 times
You have to live in Utah for 12 months before establishing residency for tuition purposes.

http://www.slcc.edu/enrollmentservic...y_Pamphlet.pdf

http://le.utah.gov/~2002/bills/hbillenr/hb0331.pdf

Old 05-20-2010, 05:29 PM

Okay understood. Can you tell me about the people? Here (at least in my part of CA) the people are mean and snobby. If you dont have a million dollar home, rich family, or fancy car you get looked down on by lots of people. Also there are a lot of cliques (girls that wont let you talk to them and are mean if you do). It would be nice to be in an area where everyone (at least most people) just got along and cared about each other. My mom is a Mormon, I am not. I am christian. I am wondering if I will be outcast for not being LDS. Has this happened to anyone you know? I have heard you just dont get the good jobs or make a lot of friends or even get the best grades if you are not part of the LDS church. I would hate if that were true. Although we do have LDS churches here in CA, no one is treated bad for not being part of them. But then again CA is very democrat. Also this may be a random question but is there anything that is hard to find in UT that we have here in CA? Like good plastic surgeons or laser dermatologist or stores that have sexy clothes? I would think because its more conservative maybe these things are not popular or needed in UT. Does UT still have salons and day spas that can do things like Brazillian bikini waxes (very important to me!) and fancy manicures or funky hair styles? Maybe those things are in demand. Does anyone know if I will be able to continue my current lifestyle after moving or if I will have to change some things. Thanks for all your help!!

Old 05-20-2010, 06:19 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,541,675 times
If you live in a highly family concentrated area (which is most of Utah) you might feel a little out of place. As far as relating to Mormoms goes, it just depends. Most Mormons I know tend to flock together. Their children play together and their social lives seem to revolve around church activities and connections. But I think that would be the case with any predominant religion in any given area.

You will most likely develop friendships by meeting people at work or school who have similar interests and lifestyles as you have.

There are salons and day spas which will provide the services you seek.

Don't know about the sexy clothing as I don't wear any. But I bet you can find something that suits (suits-get it? )your needs.

Once upon a time I thought I read that Utah was number one in the nation for plastic surgeries performed. So I doubt you'd have a problem finding a quality surgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area