Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 12:07 AM

18 posts, read 43,618 times

Advertisements

So I went to SLC over this weekend. Checked out the place. I don't see it.. I just don't see this great Mormon influence. I saw smokers galore, I saw people peddling Alcohol, sports bars, and wearing nose rings and those weird ear things that look like someone put a shower ring in their ears and stretched the lobe around it.

I checked out The Gateway Mall on Sunday, and it was packed.

I also saw some eyerolling moments like a sign for cheap "drip coffee" from the "Blue Lemon" posted right next to Deseret Book.

I went to my new Ward in Sandy and it was lacking in some areas (the Aaronic Priesthood was non-existant) and wasn't that big. In our new townhouse, the first person to greet me was a Catholic. Down the street, a hispanic man in his mid 20's in "gang" type garb was waxing his low-rider (white wife-beaters, boxer shorts hanging out over his big baggy pants and belt with the end hanging down too long... and shaved head - very familiar uniform for a Southern California guy).

And all the lipo-suction ads were amazing....

Soooo, I just don't see what the gripe is. Other than temple square (which was an interesting experience.) nothing screamed "I am in Mormon-land". It felt like any other city. Sandy felt like any other suburb.

Did I miss something? Cause honestly, I came away feeling like I was just in a beachless San Diego.

When will this "culture shock" hit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM

146 posts, read 493,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskains View Post
So I went to SLC over this weekend. Checked out the place. I don't see it.. I just don't see this great Mormon influence. I saw smokers galore, I saw people peddling Alcohol, sports bars, and wearing nose rings and those weird ear things that look like someone put a shower ring in their ears and stretched the lobe around it.

I also saw some eyerolling moments like a sign for cheap "drip coffee" from the "Blue Lemon" posted right next to Deseret Book.

I went to my new Ward in Sandy and it was lacking in some areas (the Aaronic Priesthood was non-existant) and wasn't that big. In our new townhouse, the first person to greet me was a Catholic. Down the street, a hispanic man in his mid 20's in "gang" type garb was waxing his low-rider (white wife-beaters, boxer shorts hanging out over his big baggy pants and belt with the end hanging down too long... and shaved head - very familiar uniform for a Southern California guy).

Soooo, I just don't see what the gripe is. Other than temple square (which was an interesting experience.) nothing screamed "I am in Mormon-land". It felt like any other city. Sandy felt like any other suburb.

Did I miss something? Cause honestly, I came away feeling like I was just in a beachless San Diego.

Blaspheme!

Just kidding.

I agree with you. The California influence on SLC is pretty obvious. I am with you, I don't get it.
SLC is a cool laid back town that feels a lot like a California city, but in the mountains.

Have a good time.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:59 AM

835 posts, read 2,068,541 times
Well, just give it some time-especially when the State legislature is in session! SLC proper does not have the real conservative vibe that the rest of the state has-especially in the rural and smaller communities. I have been here since 93 and still am stunned at some of the things that happen here that are clearly driven by the dominant religion. That being said, I am not leaving any time soon and will take some of the conservative/strangeness for getting to live in such a beautiful area!

Old 06-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Personally I am stunned at how much the dominant religion puts up with in SLC/Utah. *Shrug*

Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 AM

146 posts, read 493,475 times
Heh, "Just give it some time". Any place can suck if you take that approach. Just give it time and you too will see what sucks about this place.

See, if you have to give it time, then it isn't the norm, it isn't common, it's actually uncommon.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:39 AM

13,139 posts, read 22,708,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jskains View Post

Half of us aren't Mormon, and at least half of the Mormons aren't into church either. We all do out part to "keep it real" otherwise.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 AM

The only thing I noticed in that regard of "keeping it real" is that some people seem to go out of their way to prove they are NOT Mormon. And the humor is people go to Utah for the pro-family conservative nature of the place, but don't want to deal with the source of WHY Utah is that way.

There is oh so much irony there.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:47 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,163,113 times
Been here 8 months, still waiting to notice it also.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,717,621 times
Just head down to Utah County or Herriman for that matter. No shortage of that feel to be sure. Indeed if you're looking in most parts of the Salt Lake valley you won't get that vibe.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:09 AM

427 posts, read 1,300,076 times
Welcome to America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: