U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 PM

2 posts, read 8,683 times
Default Daybreak UT

Hi all, I'm thinking of moving to Daybreak. So, is there anyone that lives there and can give me some pros and cons. Does anyone know what the HOA fees are also? Thanks for all the input!
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:51 PM

1,646 posts, read 4,595,253 times
My brother and sister-in-law live there. They love all the community features it has. I don't know there exact HOA fee, but I do know it went up substantially about a year ago. They were complaining about it.

Pros -- great community features, nice lake, trails etc, HOA takes care of lawns etc., it attracts the kind of people who seem to care about keeping the neighborhood nice.

Cons in my opinion --houses are too close together. Some of the designs are a bit funky, No, or small, yards. The houses are overpriced for what you get, in my opinion. Even with the recent appreciation factored out, they paid about 30 percent more for a smaller house with no private yard (though that means no yardwork).

Old 06-22-2007, 09:16 AM

22 posts, read 69,806 times
Basic HOA fees are low for what we have. What is bad is you are told internet (Qwest) fiber optics service is "free". It's not. It is a line item monthly charge of $35, on the quarterly HOA payment. The service is overpriced with poor performance. Mostly a boondoggle and huge profit for Qwest from a captive market. HOA fees take care of your landscape only if you live in a townhome. Green courts have to take care of the property immediatley surrounding their home, the HOA cares for the court, and single family homes are responsible for their entire lot.

Pros, nice neighbors with diverse backgrounds, HOA regulations, great amenities, no beige cookie cutter homes.

Cons, HOA Management is HORRIBLE (but that could change quickly if Kennecott takes a close look at the current management company).

Coolcats, from what you described your brother lives on a "green court". It's a special configuration, something between a townhome and a single family. A few green court homes will have a small backyard. However the communal green court is large and shared with the other families. Really meant for folks that don't want to take care of lots of landscape.
I live in a single family that has a very spacious lot. With all the green areas, trails, and neighborhood parks to enjoy and play in, most families don't need 1/3 or 1/2 acre lots to build basket ball courts or set up the volleyball net. We just wander down to the park that has them and find folks for a quick pick up game.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:51 PM

9 posts, read 48,937 times
Default Also currious about Daybreak

So Silverfeather, you have your own yard and you don't feel to close to the neighbors?
It looks like a great community to me. I live in Ct. on 2&1/2 acres. I'm so tired of yard work and my husband has an hr commute each way and is never home. When he is home, guess what? Suprise! Yard work. It's very beautiful here indeed. But I have six kids and Everything is 10 miles or 1/2 hr away so, they don't take themselves anywhere! And even if they could everything is on Sunday out here. Then there is the 7 month winters and LOTS of rain. I've been doing this for 7 yrs except for a short respite when I lived in Lehi for a yr. LOVED IT! Kids loved it.
Half of my family has Lymes disease, CT. being the birthplace of Lyme and I'm burned out on this place. At this point, as long as there is community parks and close schools, and the neighbors are at least 10 feet away. I'M THERE!
What do you think of the quality of the homes and who are the best builders?
What is the biggest lot you'd find there, not that I need it! But we are a big loud family. Are the trails really going to lead to anything? Like stores? Could I send an older kid to a store on a bike? I NEED TO KNOW!
Thanks a bunch, Sue

Old 06-24-2007, 09:20 PM

Oh Sue, my heart goes out to you! I lived in CT for 8 years.

Lot sizes are diffrent throughout the community. Most single family homes have room for the required kids playset, deck for the parents, and room for the dog. I've seen a few lots that you could drop a good size pool in along with all the rest. If you are really burned out on landscape care, lot's are available the can be cared for with a weed wacker.

I have about 25' between my home and the neighbors. The houses are situated on the lot so as to avoid the feeling of being on top of one another.

Most of the homes here have kids, so I don't think your family would feel out of place. But as I said before, there are so many parks and trails to visit, the kids rarely hang out in the yards. Plus grade school is on a year round schedule, so the kids are busy.

The community is building a "village center" that will have a small market and other services. It will be complete next summer and would be within bike distance.

We do have some horrible builders, and I suggest you stay far far away from Destination and Richmond America. I've heard some real nightmare stories. Otherwise, most of the builders are OK, a couple I'd highly recommend.

I love my home, the community in general is OK, but as I said in the original post, we have a few management issues. Seems that the developer is trying to get that under control.

Good luck getting out of CT.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 AM

So, where did you live in Ct? We live in Brookfield. My husband works down in White Plains.
A few more questions,
would you say the homes are fairly priced for Utah.
Which are the Builders you recommend?
Are your kids still at home and do they like it there?
What section do you live in, and (if it's not to personal) what did you purchase your house for and what is the size of the home?
I'm just trying to get a feel for what we can afford.
The market has wilted here for sellers so it will be hard to sell.
We need to get our equity and pay a huge chunk of any home there in UT down so we have a small mortgage as my husband will most likely be self employed when we do this. He really wants to do this but it's very scary
I know we can do this, I'm just doing my homework. So glad I found this site and someone who lives there!
It just seems like a fun place to live.
Oh also, The homes look so charming on the outside but on the inside do they have the same charm, as in window trim wains coating and other moldings? Or is everything just like other track homes with just drywall everything?

Thanks so much, Sue

Old 06-25-2007, 08:57 AM

What about Rainey homes?

Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM

273 posts, read 841,852 times
Default Daybreak rocks!!

Silverfeather has an axe to grind with the HOA management at Daybreak. It really isn't as bad as she makes it out to be. It is a new (3 years old) development and Kennecott Land's first development. They are still working out some kinks but have made some recent major changes. We'll see where it goes...

We love Daybreak because its population is very diverse in a largely homogenous Utah. There is perhaps a 50% LDS population and many people have moved here from other countries. We personally have friends from Canada, Ireland, Germany, and Peru. The very concept of Daybreak is to not be like other suburban developments and to foster neighborliness and interaction among the residents. We just had our annual summer celebration where we were treated to a small parade, followed by a live concert in a park with a classic car show, followed by a fantastic luau complete with Hawaiian dancers in the evening. 1800 residents attended the luau. And all of this was free to the residents payed for by the HOA and Kennecott Land. Our HOA fees also provide access to the community center with its programs and fitness center. We also have use of free canoes, kayaks, and pedal boats on our own Oquirhh Lake which is about 1/3 complete and will be about 88 acres when finished. There are numerous parks, playgrounds, open spaces, and trails intertwined throughout the community. In fact, KL is reserving 1250 of the 4100 acres the community will take up for open space. It is all planted with Utah native plants, flowers, and grasses to minimize water use.

The homes themselves are built using the architectural styles of the early 1900's and resemble many of the homes found in the historic Avenues area of downtown Salt Lake. But they are all very modern and all are Energy Star certified. Front porches are mandatory and garages are either accessed from alleys behind the homes or are pushed back from the street where alleys don't exist. Bright exterior colors are prevalent to prevent the monotone stucco or vinyl suburbia that has sprung up elsewhere. Home sizes ranges from 1500 sf to over 5000 sf and are priced from $182k to over $1M. Again, this range creates a very diverse neighborhood. Lot sizes are typically small but this is supposed to be made up for by all of the common spaces and parks. My lot is actually 0.24 acres which I do not consider small at all.

If you are looking for a large lot with RV parking and space to throw up a workshop, Daybreak is not for you. There are strict covenants that forbid both along with many other things most Utah suburbanites would take for granted. You are not allowed to rent out part of your home (no basement apartments). Your landscaping design is reviewed and must meet rather strict requirements. But it does keep Daybreak looking nice while reducing water use. All exterior improvements must be approved to maintain the architectural feel of Daybreak. So generally, if you do not like covenant controlled communities, look elsewhere.

We love living in Daybreak and hope many more people from across the country (and globe) will move here. It makes for an interesting and diverse neighborhood that is friendly and welcoming to all.

Old 06-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Sue, Rainey is one of the builders that I’ve not heard enough to make a comment as to good or bad. I do know they are a high end builder, so if you are on a budget, they may not be the best choice. Regarding interior features, the builders do offer things like molding etc. Some homes will have a few special touches included, others will be options.

Geez DP525, how would you know what created my feelings toward the HOA? Who are you and what do you know about me that you feel confident to make that statement?

DP525, you jumped right on the only negative and completely failed to appreciate the positive comments I offered to Sue. I make that comment only because the management is incompetent ( the HOA president was fired last week, which was a great step in the right direction) and I’m not the only resident that shares that belief. Heck, some folks are more adamant than me, they even set up a web site. I can only guess you are an HOA employee. Last time I made a comment on Daybreak, you rushed to PM me in hope of keeping comments quiet.

Daybreak isn't perfect, but it's still a nice place to live.

Last edited by silverfeather; 06-25-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 06-25-2007, 02:22 PM

273 posts, read 841,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfeather View Post
Cons, HOA Management is HORRIBLE

Just thought your wording was a little STRONG. Most of us would not refer to the HOA that strongly (no, I don't work for them). There will always be a difference of opinion between residents about how the HOA is doing its job. It kind of depends on your situation and expectations. I feel they are doing a good job of being flexible instead of heavy handed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area