Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 07:30 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
As a smoker I have a couple of thoughts on this. First and foremost I wish they would just outlaw cigarettes all together. That would make me quit since every other attempt has made me climb the walls or become borderline homicidal.

I dont really care if they enact the ban or not. The ability to smoke or not smoke inside hasnt stopped me from going anywhere. If I can't I can't. If I can I do.

I will say this though about the poster that mentioned Outback. Any time I go out side to smoke I try to get as far away from people as possible and prefer to be downwind. Here is what is funny about that. Doesnt matter where I stand, people seem to go out of their way to walk right there! I was standing by a tree at Alamo Ranch and I can't count the amount of people that walked through there instead of walking down the parking lot to their cars.

The other thing that drives me batty is if I am walking through a parking lot I try to stay on the opposite side (sometimes going out of my way to do so) with the flow of traffic (versus against) because I know the smoke is trailing behind me. Yet people insist on walking behind me. It is as if people are hard-wired to follow.

I do try to be as considerate as possible because I know it smells bad. I'd quit tomorrow if I could find a way that doesnt make me want to climb a tower with a large shotgun.

My mom tried to quit for 15 years. She got an Rx for Chantix, and swore it was a miracle. She quit! Six month later they found a giant lung tumor... now she is going through hell trying to save her life.

Hopefully that she quit will help her chances.

She said she never knew how bad it smelled until she quit. She said she can smell a smoker from a mile away, even if they haven't smoked for hours. If you think it smells bad now, wait til you quit!

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:47 AM

522 posts, read 1,132,199 times
everyone's pretty much said what i intended to say on the matter. smoking bans aren't new to me. i agree whole heatedly that it's not a bid to ostracize smokers, but protect non-smokers.

if someone doesn't smoke around a smoker, they aren't damaging their health, bothering them, disrupting their meal, etc simply by the fact that they AREN'T smoking. it doesn't work the other way around.

smoking is unfortunately something that can not be easily contained. smoke isn't going to stay in smoking sections, like alcohol (sometimes, haha!) being an avid anti-smoker, i am of course for anything that limits the exposure to the general public, especially in areas where you have no choice (ie, the bus stop) i unfortunately have to put up with it at home (and have had to put up with it most of my life) it'd be nice not to have to deal with it in many municipal areas or places you eat, etc. personally, anyway.

gm, in support of smoking ban in bars.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:00 AM

33 posts, read 86,305 times
Something else that hasn't been mentioned yet is that smoking bans have a much larger impact in protecting bar employees who, by the nature of their job, enhale massive amounts of second-hand smoke. Numerous studies have found, not surprisingly, that bartenders have much higher risks of lung cancer than other professions.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:53 AM

361 posts, read 924,556 times
I am not in favor of, mainly because I am for Constitutional civil rights.

On public property, bans are fine, but on PRIVATE property, the government has no business over-stepping the owners like that. And don't give me that BS that they do it for public health; that's the same battle cry used by early 20th-century prohibitionist crusaders with a zealous hatred of drinking that went beyond all reasoning of health.

I really want smokers to quit because they make a nice political scapegoat. Hitler used to villify people to justify screwing them, too. Just like what happens to smokers every time the government wants more money or wants to just stomp out things they frown on. Imagine if that billion-dollar cash cow the state and federal governments rely on not to fund smoking-related illnesses but things like schools suddenly stopped and dried up.

Crime is everywhere in this city, very few criminals are being caught to where the backlogs of robbery cases is so large they don't even have the resources todeal with it (nevertheless the other crimes), and what's the city's priority? Attacking smokers, junk food eaters, and strip clubs.

Our city is ran by idiots with poor priorities.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:41 AM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post

On public property, bans are fine, but on PRIVATE property, the government has no business over-stepping the owners like that.
I agree with you, I’m against banning smoking in private businesses.
But just for fun, I’ll play devil’s advocate.

If you are against the government banning smoking in a private business
Are you in favor of people having the freedom to grow and smoke any plant (marijuana) in their house or private business?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:45 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Are you in favor of people having the freedom to grow and smoke any plant (marijuana) in their house or private business?
Apples and oranges - marijuana is illegal. Cigarettes are not only legal, they're heavily taxed.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 12,323,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post

On public property, bans are fine, but on PRIVATE property, the government has no business over-stepping the owners like that. And don't give me that BS that they do it for public health; that's the same battle cry used by early 20th-century prohibitionist crusaders with a zealous hatred of drinking that went beyond all reasoning of health.

I really want smokers to quit because they make a nice political scapegoat. Hitler used to villify people to justify screwing them, too. Just like what happens to smokers every time the government wants more money or wants to just stomp out things they frown on. Imagine if that billion-dollar cash cow the state and federal governments rely on not to fund smoking-related illnesses but things like schools suddenly stopped and dried up.

Crime is everywhere in this city, very few criminals are being caught to where the backlogs of robbery cases is so large they don't even have the resources todeal with it (nevertheless the other crimes), and what's the city's priority? Attacking smokers, junk food eaters, and strip clubs.

Our city is ran by idiots with poor priorities.

So should we be able to smoke in the mall, office buildings, courthouses, ect?

Old 06-10-2010, 12:07 PM

18,125 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Apples and oranges - marijuana is illegal. Cigarettes are not only legal, they're heavily taxed.
Does exactly what I'm asking,
it's illegal because the government thinks is dangerous for people.
Cigarettes being legal, don't make them safe.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:08 PM

436 posts, read 1,613,529 times
can't happen soon enough.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:12 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Does exactly what I'm asking,
it's illegal because the government thinks is dangerous for people.
Cigarettes being legal, don't make them safe.
But they are legal. When they're made illegal, I'll be right there with you. Until then, stop trying to legislate freedom of choice - because the next target might be YOUR freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio