U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM
 
525 posts, read 1,003,363 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
If they banned it in bars, I might go more often! .
Oh, look at me, I'm so concerned for my health and the health of others. So it's ok to go to a bar and drink till your liver falls out, and then drive home killing a family of 3 in a minivan, but at least those 3 dead people and your pancreatic cancer care provider won't smell like smoke God forbid! How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one? I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
 
2,770 posts, read 3,040,460 times
Reputation: 1560
... not to mention that drinking and smoking often go hand-in-hand......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
RGJ
 
1,898 posts, read 2,416,776 times
Reputation: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
... not to mention that drinking and smoking often go hand-in-hand......
you can add sex to your sentence.....when will the madness stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM
 
1,316 posts, read 1,816,063 times
Reputation: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Oh, look at me, I'm so concerned for my health and the health of others. So it's ok to go to a bar and drink till your liver falls out, and then drive home killing a family of 3 in a minivan, but at least those 3 dead people and your pancreatic cancer care provider won't smell like smoke God forbid! How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one? I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.

UM, FIRST OF ALL. I don't drink alcohol OR smoke and I have NEVER done drugs. SO WHERE DID YOU GET THIS DRINKING PART FROM ALL OF A SUDDEN AND OUT OF THE BLUE?

You say:
>>>
How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one?
<<<<


UM, WHAT???? WHEN DID I EVER "embrace" drinking????????

POINT IT OUT FOR ME PLEASE! Sorry, but you're wrong. I never "embraced" one and not the other, nor did i ever embrace drinking.

You say:

>>I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
<<

True, AND THAT'S WHY, THE LAST TIME I'VE BEEN TO A BAR was TWO YEARS AGO. And even then it was ONE NIGHT and before then the last time I went to a bar before that was A YEAR BEFORE THEN. THAT WAS MY CHOICE OBVIOUSLY! I don't expect a bar to be a "temple" of health. NO ONE DOES.

First, don't assume someone is a drinker because I am not. And second, THE REASON I DON'T GO TO BARS is "NOT" just because of smoking...it's other reasons which would take this thread off topic so don't tell me it's not a temple of health. DUH. That's why I've only gone to bars maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 3 years! But you obviously wanted to fill-in-the blanks with your imagination thinking all these things about how it is for me.

WRONG!!

Last edited by xsa210tx; 06-10-2010 at 04:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM
 
372 posts, read 612,132 times
Reputation: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Oh, look at me, I'm so concerned for my health and the health of others. So it's ok to go to a bar and drink till your liver falls out, and then drive home killing a family of 3 in a minivan, but at least those 3 dead people and your pancreatic cancer care provider won't smell like smoke God forbid! How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one? I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
"How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one?"

There is nothing equal within your argument whatsoever. Smoking does NOT equal drinking. Drinking does NOT equal driving drunk. And I might as well include that smoking does NOT equal driving drunk either (since you said they were all equally dangerous).

And when being near someone consuming an alcoholic beverage, you don't have the issue of second-hand inebriation, unlike the harm of being around someone with a cig in his/her mouth...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
10,007 posts, read 9,066,846 times
Reputation: 5429
Playing devil's advocate again:
"If they take our right to smoke in a bar, the next thing is going to be prohibition in the city (ban alcohol)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM
 
2,770 posts, read 3,040,460 times
Reputation: 1560
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
you can add sex to your sentence.....when will the madness stop?
Oh yeah, and then lets not forget chocolates....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
 
77 posts, read 136,749 times
Reputation: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
And when being near someone consuming an alcoholic beverage, you don't have the issue of second-hand inebriation, unlike the harm of being around someone with a cig in his/her mouth...
That's the key argument here. If you smoke near me you damage my health. Therefore I have a say when it comes to your actions.

If you drink near me, but are responsible with your plans to get home, you pose no risk to my health. Therefore I have no right to tell you want to do.

It's an extension from the proposition posed by Oliver Wendell Holmes, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

I'm a big fan of laws banning smoking indoors in public areas. I'm against laws banning smoking on private property. I used to live in FL when they passed a similar law. I got so used to it that I hated leaving the state because I now had to put up with smokers right next to me at the bar or restaurant. San Antonio isn't the first location to create these laws, and written correctly it benefits everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
1,840 posts, read 4,474,876 times
Reputation: 1567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Oh, look at me, I'm so concerned for my health and the health of others. So it's ok to go to a bar and drink till your liver falls out, and then drive home killing a family of 3 in a minivan, but at least those 3 dead people and your pancreatic cancer care provider won't smell like smoke God forbid! How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one? I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
Darn it! I rep'd you when I meant to hit "qoute!" please ignore what I'm sure is it the only rep point for your post

Smoking causes harm to others! Drinking doesn't. Just cuz someone goes to a bar doesn't mean that they will drive drunk.

Many smokers smoke often, different times of day, every day. I drink, but I drink maybe twice a month.... and ONE drink at that... and even then, I won't drive! If I want to go to a bar and have a nice cold glass of Guiness and get out of the house and enjoy conversation with friends, I don't actually want to have to shower and throw my clothes immediately in the washing machine to prevent my whole bedroom from stinking.

People smoke at their own risk. Smoke yourself into a horrible death... be my guest. I have no issue with smokers. They contribute a lot of money to taxes, and help tobacco farmers and chemical manufacturers stay in business. But I also support people's right to breath air that isn't filled with someone else's exhaled carcinogens and stench.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 AM
 
525 posts, read 1,003,363 times
Reputation: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
UM, FIRST OF ALL. I don't drink alcohol OR smoke and I have NEVER done drugs. SO WHERE DID YOU GET THIS DRINKING PART FROM ALL OF A SUDDEN AND OUT OF THE BLUE?

You say:
>>>
How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one?
<<<<


UM, WHAT???? WHEN DID I EVER "embrace" drinking????????

POINT IT OUT FOR ME PLEASE! Sorry, but you're wrong. I never "embraced" one and not the other, nor did i ever embrace drinking.

You say:

>>I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
<<

True, AND THAT'S WHY, THE LAST TIME I'VE BEEN TO A BAR was TWO YEARS AGO. And even then it was ONE NIGHT and before then the last time I went to a bar before that was A YEAR BEFORE THEN. THAT WAS MY CHOICE OBVIOUSLY! I don't expect a bar to be a "temple" of health. NO ONE DOES.

First, don't assume someone is a drinker because I am not. And second, THE REASON I DON'T GO TO BARS is "NOT" just because of smoking...it's other reasons which would take this thread off topic so don't tell me it's not a temple of health. DUH. That's why I've only gone to bars maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 3 years! But you obviously wanted to fill-in-the blanks with your imagination thinking all these things about how it is for me.

WRONG!!
Oh, look at me, now I'm all self-Righteous and angry. Get a grip, Son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:51 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top