U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 AM

1,814 posts, read 642,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
See, they haven't even passed the smoking ban inn bars yet and DexterCat is ready to move on to banning smoking on YOUR patio. Next he will want to ban BBQ fires in YOUR backyard. Then he will want to ban gas powered lawn equipment in YOUR backyard.
it may be your patio, but it is not YOUR air. it is everyone's air. this is more about the greater good than your right to smoke. do it inside if you have to smoke. do it in an area where the smoke will be caught by a filter.

dont do it outside where everyone and their mom can smell it.

ps - quit projecting your fear-mongering. you have no basis for claiming that i want to ban bbq's or gas powered lawn equiptment. you are no better than the MSM when you try to scare people with stupid garbage.

pps - the big 'I HEART CARBON' sticker i have must be worthless now...
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I agree. If they could ever prove that second hand smoke causes cancer they would have banned the production, sale and use of cigarettes, cigars etc. As an ex-smoker I can tell you that the first thing nicotine does is make you like it. If it doesn't get you hooked you must no be getting a very high dosage.
oh really? these people would like to have a word with you...

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute

Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?
Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) (1, 3, 5).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2). The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmoker’s chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent (4).

Some research suggests that secondhand smoke may increase the risk of breast cancer, nasal sinus cavity cancer, and nasopharyngeal cancer in adults, and leukemia, lymphoma, and brain tumors in children (4). Additional research is needed to learn whether a link exists between secondhand smoke exposure and these cancers.

What are the other health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke?
Secondhand smoke causes disease and premature death in nonsmoking adults and children (4). Exposure to secondhand smoke irritates the airways and has immediate harmful effects on a person’s heart and blood vessels. It may increase the risk of heart disease by an estimated 25 to 30 percent (4). In the United States, secondhand smoke is thought to cause about 46,000 heart disease deaths each year (6). There may also be a link between exposure to secondhand smoke and the risk of stroke and hardening of the arteries; however, additional research is needed to confirm this link.

Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), ear infections, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and more severe asthma. Being exposed to secondhand smoke slows the growth of children’s lungs and can cause them to cough, wheeze, and feel breathless (4).

What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?
There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Studies have shown that even low levels of secondhand smoke exposure can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke exposure is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate secondhand smoke exposure (4).

also...

the gigantic warning label on the cigarette pack that says smoking causes cancer might be a big clue...

/former smoker
//disgusting habbit that i kicked cold turkey

Old 06-14-2010, 11:21 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,135,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
oh really? these people would like to have a word with you...

Secondhand Smoke: Questions and Answers - National Cancer Institute

Does exposure to secondhand smoke cause cancer?
Yes. The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the U.S. National Toxicology Program (NTP), the U.S. Surgeon General, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have classified secondhand smoke as a known human carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) (1, 3, 5).

Inhaling secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in nonsmoking adults (4). Approximately 3,000 lung cancer deaths occur each year among adult nonsmokers in the United States as a result of exposure to secondhand smoke (2). The Surgeon General estimates that living with a smoker increases a nonsmokerís chances of developing lung cancer by 20 to 30 percent (4).

Some research suggests that secondhand smoke may increase the risk of breast cancer, nasal sinus cavity cancer, and nasopharyngeal cancer in adults, and leukemia, lymphoma, and brain tumors in children (4). Additional research is needed to learn whether a link exists between secondhand smoke exposure and these cancers.

What are the other health effects of exposure to secondhand smoke?
Secondhand smoke causes disease and premature death in nonsmoking adults and children (4). Exposure to secondhand smoke irritates the airways and has immediate harmful effects on a personís heart and blood vessels. It may increase the risk of heart disease by an estimated 25 to 30 percent (4). In the United States, secondhand smoke is thought to cause about 46,000 heart disease deaths each year (6). There may also be a link between exposure to secondhand smoke and the risk of stroke and hardening of the arteries; however, additional research is needed to confirm this link.

Children exposed to secondhand smoke are at an increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), ear infections, colds, pneumonia, bronchitis, and more severe asthma. Being exposed to secondhand smoke slows the growth of childrenís lungs and can cause them to cough, wheeze, and feel breathless (4).

What is a safe level of secondhand smoke?
There is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Studies have shown that even low levels of secondhand smoke exposure can be harmful. The only way to fully protect nonsmokers from secondhand smoke exposure is to completely eliminate smoking in indoor spaces. Separating smokers from nonsmokers, cleaning the air, and ventilating buildings cannot completely eliminate secondhand smoke exposure (4).

also...

the gigantic warning label on the cigarette pack that says smoking causes cancer might be a big clue...

/former smoker
//disgusting habbit that i kicked cold turkey
Really, why hasn't it been outlawed then just like Asbestos? Because they can't prove it. If they could prove it cigarettes would be off the market.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:28 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,135,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
it may be your patio, but it is not YOUR air. it is everyone's air. this is more about the greater good than your right to smoke. do it inside if you have to smoke. do it in an area where the smoke will be caught by a filter.

dont do it outside where everyone and their mom can smell it.

ps - quit projecting your fear-mongering. you have no basis for claiming that i want to ban bbq's or gas powered lawn equiptment. you are no better than the MSM when you try to scare people with stupid garbage.

pps - the big 'I HEART CARBON' sticker i have must be worthless now...
If you can convince yourself that someone smoking on the adjacent property is giving you cancer by smoking a cigarette then the next logical move (in your mind) would be that you are going to be asphyxiated by carbon monoxide from lawn mowers or contracting cancer from particulates in BBQ smoke. Smokers have learned in the last 20 years or so that if you give them an inch and they will take a mile. Your complaint about what people do on their own property is proof of that. You just showed your cards.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Really, why hasn't it been outlawed then just like Asbestos? Because they can't prove it. If they could prove it cigarettes would be off the market.
alcohol kills, but its legal.

vicodin kills, but its legal.

your argument is flawed. cigarette smoke, both inhaled and second hand, kill. it has been proven by universities, government agencies and private research firms.

im sorry you dont live in reality, but i do.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
If you can convince yourself that someone smoking on the adjacent property is giving you cancer by smoking a cigarette then the next logical move (in your mind) would be that you are going to be asphyxiated by carbon monoxide
i dont know what youre smoking, but ill take some of it!

l also wasnt aware i was dealing with real psychics who can mind read on this board.

/learn something new every day

//also, where did you get your internet degree in environmental studies? i wasnt aware you had a degree and had personally researched all of this beforehand...

Old 06-14-2010, 11:49 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,074,472 times
I'm going to smoke in my own yard and I don't care what you think about it.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:56 AM

3,027 posts, read 2,205,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
That's right.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:05 PM

allow me to break down your post with my logic:

Quote:
If you can convince yourself that someone smoking on the adjacent property is giving you cancer by smoking a cigarette then the next logical move (in your mind) would be that you are going to be asphyxiated by carbon monoxide from lawn mowers
you are assuming that lawn mowers will be ran on every street corner. a corner where there is likely no grass to be cut. IF there were grass there to be cut, the lawn mower would be ran for what, 10 seconds tops? street corners arent big at all.

Quote:
or contracting cancer from particulates in BBQ smoke.
now, have studies been done that show bbq smoke causes cancer? please cite me a source.

assuming it were true though:

bbq pits are used in semi-remote locations, never on a street corner. in those locations, one, maybe 2 people are exposed to the smoke (and oh so good smells of bbq).

Quote:
Smokers have learned in the last 20 years or so that if you give them an inch and they will take a mile. Your complaint about what people do on their own property is proof of that. You just showed your cards.
sorry. smokers do not own the air. it is not there for them to befoul with their nasty habbit. im a former smoker. i smoked inside and in my car with the window down (not that often).

when i was at work(back in the day before becoming self-employed), the smokers actually cared about non-smokers. the smoking section was on the opposite side of the building so the non-smokers wouldnt be subjected to the smell.

granted, a few stray clouds may have caught in their noses once or twice during the day, but never in an in-your-face way, like standing on a street corner.

in short, please do research before you spout nonsense.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
for now, go for it.

for now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio