U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-09-2010, 12:20 PM

1,875 posts, read 4,860,058 times

Advertisements

I personally don't give a crap if this gets passed or not, but I know many people feel strongly one way or the other.

I wanted to pass on some info.

There will be a meeting this Thursday at 6PM to hear arguments from both sides at the city council. I have an email about it that says you have to arrive early and sign up to testify if you want to be heard on the issue. You can sign up as early at 8 am at City Hall, or online at
www.sanantonio.gov/yourcity/meeingappear.aspx

I can't get the link to work, but I tripple checked it, and this is the address in my email. Maybe some of you will have better luck.

But here is a working link verifying that they will indeed hear arguments on the issue. http://epay.sanantonio.gov/agendabuilder/printAgenda.aspx (broken link)

Food for thought:
Quote:
San Antonio is the largest US city without a smoking ban. Other Texas cities, including Austin, Dallas and Houston already have bans in place
San Antonio considers smoking ban -- again | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 12:26 PM

10,302 posts, read 9,956,576 times
When I listened to talk radio talking about this, they "forgot" to mention this
Quote:
San Antonio is the largest US city without a smoking ban. Other Texas cities, including Austin, Dallas and Houston already have bans in place
I'm fine with passing strict laws, but we always have to find the best way to address the problem.

Why ban smoking in the whole city?
You can accomplish the same thing by making establishments that will allow smoking put a sign on their door to let everybody know that they allow smoking.
That's all you need to solve that problem.

BTW, I'm more concerned about people flicking cigarrettes out of their cars than people smoking in a restaurant.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,956,997 times
I can't tell you HOW MANY TIMES inconsiderate smokers start lighting up where I am standing or sitting somewhere.

I am usually against bans of this type but when you have so many inconsiderate smokers not take into consideration us non-smokers....it makes me want to agree with the ban more so!

I'm definitely leaning in favor of it.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 06-09-2010 at 12:53 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 01:02 PM

True! I was sitting on the patio at Outback recently, waiting for a table, and a woman with the most disgusting smelling cigarette (way worse than usual) and cloud of smoke over her head decided to walk, very slowly, and upwind from me, past me, while exhauling stale breath and smoke in my general direction.

My mother is going through chemo for lung cancer and nothing irks me like having smoke blown in my face.

But I don't go to bars. I am so happy the restaurants are not smoke free. That I support 100% and am ecstatic about. Where I grew up still allows smoking in restaurants and I don't often appreciate that we don't have to deal with it until I go "home."

But bars... I can understand that people want to Drink and Smoke. But there are some bars that are smoke free, and that's what I would frequent, for example, V-bar at the Valencia Hotel. And I kinda support a bar owners right to decide... but don't understand why they should have more right than other owners of businesses.

And everyone always cries about how it will harm business. It doesn't. If no bars allow it, then your competition is in the same boat as you, so who would you lose business to? NYC had bar owners protesting when they were banning it, and I believe bars saw increased business after the dust settles. More people avoid bars cuz they do allow smoking then people who will stay home just cuz they have to step outside.

Despite all that, I still don't give a hoot. But restaurants though, thank goodness they are smoke free!

Old 06-09-2010, 01:04 PM

234 posts, read 207,923 times
I hope this passes!! Not everyone wants to smell like a dirty ashtray or have their lungs filled with smoke.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,956,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
More people avoid bars cuz they do allow smoking then people who will stay home just cuz they have to step outside.

Despite all that, I still don't give a hoot. But restaurants though, thank goodness they are smoke free!
One of the reasons for me not going out to bars/clubs is because when I get home, I literally SMELL like I was put through a nicotine cigarette-making machine!

Of course it was my choice to go but my clothes smelled so much like a cigarette that it really made me think about how much second-hand smoke I was inhaling throughout the night. I would even have times where my eyes would get irritated or watery just being in there after awhile.

If they banned it in bars, I might go more often!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
True! I was sitting on the patio at Outback recently, waiting for a table, and a woman with the most disgusting smelling cigarette (way worse than usual) and cloud of smoke over her head decided to walk, very slowly, and upwind from me, past me, while exhauling stale breath and smoke in my general direction.
Good visual! I actually imagined some wretched creature lol.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 06-09-2010 at 01:51 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM

186 posts, read 208,946 times
I've lived in two states (Colorado & California) that enacted public smoking bans while I was there and observed no economic consequences. In fact business in restaurants and bars did pick-up. California enacted a no smoking in bars or public places and despite the public outcry and heavy fines levied by the state...and they did hammer numerous establisments who refused to enforce the ban...businesses weren't negatively impacted over the long haul. IMO separate smoking areas only work when there is total segregation of smoking and nonsmoking areas...separate doors and ventilation systems. As as a nonsmoker with lung disease I'd prefer to see the ban.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:50 PM

4,094 posts, read 6,441,169 times
I remember when all this started across the country, people were saying that it would drive bars out of business. But recent studies have just come out showing that it hasn't affected their business one iota. There will be a bunch of blow up about it, it'll pass, and everything will go back to normal. Just less stinky.

Old 06-09-2010, 01:51 PM

I went to the BRAND new, opened less than a couple weeks, Buffalo Wild Wings in Alamo Ranch. They have their bar COMPLETELY closed off, and I was just thinking "what's wrong with that?" Go for it... but most restaurants aren't like that. I think if it's going to be banned, just ban it. Just be done with it!

The more I sit here and think about it, the more I am starting think I'm for it, instead of neutral.

Good points xsa210tx! If it seems into our clothes that much, it's gotta be just as much in our lungs! I can smell it on my clothes for days if I just put them in the hamper. Even my hair... I have to shower before bed or my pillow will stink like cigarettes the next day. I don't want that in my lungs!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:06 PM

10,302 posts, read 9,956,576 times
I thought I was the farthest "left" person here,
and I seem to be one of the very few people that are completely against this ban (I don't even smoke)

I would just make establishments put a sign on their front door to let everybody know that they are a "pro-cigarette" establishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio