Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 05:48 PM

872 posts, read 1,856,058 times

Advertisements

I really hope San Antonio does not bring itself into the Arizona Immigration Law debate by voting (the City Council) to oppose the law.
SA city council to vote on resolution condemning Arizona illegal immigration law | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News
Notice how this article slants the story by saying, "Nationwide, nearly one in four Americans under 18 has at least one parent who is an immigrant. In San Antonio that number is nearly doubled." That's fine but the Arizona law is about ILLEGAL immigration.

Moderator cut: off topic

I fully support LEGAL immigration. San Antonio, stand by the laws of this country!

Last edited by Bo; 06-09-2010 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: See my comments in the next post for an explanation of how this thread can be on topic in this local forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:54 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,103,174 times
In this forum, we can discuss the choices made by the SA city council. The larger issue of illegal immigration is one of a handful of hot-button issues that the administrators have decreed are not to be discussed in City-Data's local forums. Discussing the merits or lack of merits of the Arizona law or US immigration policy is most definitely a tangent on this thread topic that should be discussed in the Illegal Immigration forum ONLY.

If you keep the discussion local, the mod team will keep the thread open.

Old 06-09-2010, 07:05 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,984,233 times
I am a firm believer in states' rights, and don't think any other government (especially at the city level) should pass judgment on their decisions. Plus, seriously...what dog does the city of San Antonio have in this fight? I understand these kind of ridiculous resolutions from places like San Francisco (California is full of judgmental types, as we all know), but Texas has a 'live and let live' mentality and the only reason some in the city are making an issue of this is because they feel it specifically targets Mexicans...

Old 06-09-2010, 07:23 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,650 times
I absolutely agree that states have the right to govern themselves accordingly per the U.S. Constitution. This just isn't our fight. We have enough real problems in Texas (and San Antonio) that have just been ignored with hopes they will fix themselves. As we all know, it doesn't work that way. I hope our city council remembers that their constituents are not all of one race/color/creed.

City council, roll up your sleeves and buck up and let's get to work on some important issues.....

JOBS. EDUCATION. INFRASTRUCTURE.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:38 PM

At least one SA City Councilman gets the picture...

From Clamp Opposes Resolution Criticizing Arizona Law - News Talk 550
"City councilman John Clamp says he and his colleagues should be talking about the budget, the economy, unemployment and public safety-not the Arizona anti-immigration law."

Old 06-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Tell the Mayor and Council what you think:

mayorjuliancastro@santonio.gov; district1@sanantonio.gov; district2@sanantonio.gov; district3@sanantonio.gov; district4@sanantonio.gov; district5@sanantonio.gov; district6@sanantonio.gov; district7@sanantonio.gov; district8@sanantonio.gov; district9@sanantonio.gov; district10@sanantonio.gov

I sent an email stating:
Mayor and Council,
I am appalled that you would even consider voting on whether to oppose the Arizona Immigration Law. I have read the law and know that the law has verbiage to protect against treating persons unfairly. The Arizona law is written in good faith and in accordance with the laws of the United States. It does not in any way specify any race or nationality. What is does is allow law enforcement in the state of Arizona, when they have reason to believe someone is in the United States ILLEGALLY to investigate that person's immigration status in accordance with United States law and if that person is here ILLEGALLY to turn that person over to federal authorities for processing. There is nothing to suggest that Arizona is against immigration but like so many Americans, they are fed up with ILLEGAL immigration.

Don't allow San Antonio to fall victim to the trap of untruths. If you feel that you must vote, then vote to support the Arizona law. Either way, I certainly hope that each of you have actually read the law before you publicly discuss it and certainly before you take the issue to a vote.

Last edited by BamaSailor; 06-09-2010 at 08:56 PM.. Reason: formatting

Old 06-09-2010, 09:14 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,275,129 times
Where should I start ...
- I can't stand it when politicians take time from serving their district/area/etc. to get involved in politicts in another place.
- The media keeps on making the Arizona law and many other things a popularity contest by saying "Look, this person said that it's fine".... "Look, now 1000 people protesting saying that is bad".
Arizona's law either is constitutional or is not constitutional, period.
The media should inform us of when the supreme court is going to make a decision on this case (I guess that's not as entertaining)
- From what I understand of the Arizona law, it is unconstitutional (1) States don't set their own immigration laws (2) A law should never give the right to police to arrest a person based on "suspicion".

Finally,
I have this question for anybody that agrees with Arizona's law:
If you get stopped right now (while driving) by INS,
do you have any document that proves that you are an American citizen to keep them from throwing you in jail?

Last edited by Dopo; 06-09-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,709 times
Ugh it's 10:46 PM and I really don't wanna get into a heavy topic like this. I'll just say the city is WRONG on this.

First, they should stick to improving our city and not worrying about what some state is doing hundreds and hundreds of miles away regarding a law (I might add) that 70% of voters approved in that state.

Second, the city is simply wrong to be against the Arizona law as illegal immigration IS a crime and this law seeks to enforce a law to crack down on it more so.

I'd say a lot more but I'd probably be going off topic.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 06-09-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 06-09-2010, 10:15 PM

905 posts, read 2,959,029 times
Well, this is just ridiculous. Why does they think they need to chime in on this one? I fired off a couple of emails, one to the Mayor, the other to my councilman, basically stating that they had more important things to concern themselves with than this.

I hope everyone sends emails on this one.

Correct email for the Mayor is:

mayorjuliancastro@sanantonio.gov

Old 06-09-2010, 10:25 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,863 times
This was not part of the problem when "back when" the city council was composed of "part time" city council members who had regular jobs to attend to. Now, it seems like they are professional politicians and have the notion that we really need them full time. Running the day to day city affairs? That's what the city manager and staff are for.

Last edited by RGJ; 06-09-2010 at 10:38 PM.. Reason: clarify
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio