U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 AM

186 posts, read 618,157 times

Advertisements

A lot of people have never heard of dishwasher salt, but for those who have, do you know where to find it in San Antonio?

I have been told you can use regular water softening salt, but I'm not 100% confident on that as I've heard mixed advice.

Didn't see it on Lowe's or Home Depot's sites but perhaps I should just ask one of the guys selling dishwashers. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 09:57 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,998,271 times
The mixed advice is likely from someone that didn't research it....<G>

From looking at the MSDS sheets, it's standard "pure" salt. You should be able to use any pelletized salt. I'd avoid the "solar salt" mainly because it's not quite as pure, and the softener units in the dishwasher don't have much capacity, so you want as good a regeneration as possible.

In my mind, though, it's kinda like putting an air filter over individual air ducts - I can filter the air as it comes through each duct, or filter it as it returns to the air handler....lemme see - one filter or 10? Put a softener on your house, and be done with it. Because what you're seeing in a dishwasher is what's happening (to a MUCH greater extent) to your hot water heater, commode ring, etc. Some folks don't WANT a central softener, and for them I guess this works - but it's an expensive way of doing it in my mind - I'd just as soon soften just the hot water side if nothing else.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,847,752 times
After I put in a softner, my shower was like 100000000 times easier to clean!!

Old 06-10-2010, 12:37 PM

2 posts, read 5,720 times
Default Dishwasher

If your looking to just rid the water stain/scum off dishes then try adding Lemi-Shine to the wash cycle. IT REALLY WORKS!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 AM

915 posts, read 1,658,976 times
Home Werks @ Bitters & 281 should sell the salt. I believe they still caryy dw's that use it.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 AM

284 posts, read 941,503 times
An appliance repairman recommended Lemi-shine to me. I put a little bit in with the regular diswasher detergent every time. It does a wonderful job. The dishes, glasses and utensils look great and so does the inside of the diswasher!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio