Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 07:44 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times

Advertisements

Where is a good place to take her? I'm kind of scared to take her to a place like Claire's because I don't know how long the person has been working there. What about a tattoo shop? Their piercers are usually very experienced.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Here are a couple of previous threads on the topic, FYI.

Ear piercing for infants?

Good place to pierce DD's ears?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:53 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
We did DD's at Claire's. When I was in 7th grade, I had mine done at Spencer gifts I remember most stores like KMart, etc., did piercing...

I would take my daughter to Claire's before a tattoo shop (just sayin'). They need to sterilize the gun between clients. They will use piercing earring, so those act as the needle.

Call first, and ask who their best person is, and when they are working.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
We did DD's at Claire's. When I was in 7th grade, I had mine done at Spencer gifts I remember most stores like KMart, etc., did piercing...

I would take my daughter to Claire's before a tattoo shop (just sayin'). They need to sterilize the gun between clients. They will use piercing earring, so those act as the needle.

Call first, and ask who their best person is, and when they are working.
The reason I mentioned a tattoo shop is because they know the importance of sterilization and have way more experience than anyone at Claires might and I don't want just anyone doing it. It may not be a pretty place to get it done but I'm thinking they know the ins and outs better.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,503,830 times
tattoo shops use a gun, but I never tried, nor want to get piercings Ink for me

some jewelry stores pierce, and I think I seen a walmart do this on bandera road too.

OP: I wouldn't advice you on going to a tattoo shop, your kids is much too young to be exposed to some gnarly piercings or extreme tattoos

good luck!

Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM

254 posts, read 414,845 times
Regardless of the "gnarly" piercings or tattoos she might be exposed to in a piercing shop, (which she can see in public just about anywhere anyway) piercing shops know what they are doing. They have taken classes and hazmat courses and know basic first aid, whereas Claires and Walmart piercers are just given a gun and thats that.
Some states, like Minnesota and Nevada, have actually made piercing guns illegal because they cannot be sterilized in an autoclave and therefore hold germs from thousands of previous customers. GROSS.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM

12 posts, read 30,329 times
Tattoo shops do not use guns to pierce. They use sterile tools (a piercing needle that causes far less pain than a gun) and high grade jewelery that should not cause any reactions to sensitive skin.

I've gotten many a tattoo and piercing at several shops in SA and have not been subjected to any "gnarly" tattoos or piercings. Most shops have their artists in private to semi-private rooms to begin with.

Most places like Claire's use guns, which cause trauma to the site. I had my ears pierced this way so many times (double digits) because I'd let them close up. I didn't let anyone touch my ears because they hurt. The holes I have in my ears now were done at a tattoo parlor and I've had no issues.

Also, there really is no reason to turn the jewelery once it's in. This is a common fallacy based on the way people used to pierce ears by sewing a needle and thread through the lobe. Because the thread was so thin, the lobe would start to close up, thus necessitating the twisting and turning. The best rule of thumb is to leave the jewelery alone.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellanieblue View Post
Regardless of the "gnarly" piercings or tattoos she might be exposed to in a piercing shop, (which she can see in public just about anywhere anyway) piercing shops know what they are doing. They have taken classes and hazmat courses and know basic first aid, whereas Claires and Walmart piercers are just given a gun and thats that.
Some states, like Minnesota and Nevada, have actually made piercing guns illegal because they cannot be sterilized in an autoclave and therefore hold germs from thousands of previous customers. GROSS.
This is what I was thinking. Thanks

Old 06-12-2010, 12:23 PM

181 posts, read 674,063 times
What about your daughter's pediatrician? The last time I took my daughter to the pediatrician I noticed that his office does ear piercing.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:19 PM

420 posts, read 1,155,214 times
My wife told me that Sharkey's Cuts for Kids - Where haircuts are cool and fun rules! does ear peircing with an appointment so they can have 2 people, one on each side, do it at once.

But I do like the idea of a tattoo parlor. Seriously, Who would have more experience than these guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio