U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 PM

5 posts, read 28,738 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

So I was wondering if it's possible or probable to commute from Boerne into San Antonio for work? I have a job offer in SA and have been looking into small, independent towns outside of SA in which to live and Boerne has popped up a few times in my searches. I work from home 2 to 3 days a week, so I would need to get into SA 2 or 3 days a week. Boerne doesn't seem to be a suburb, am I right on that point? I do not want a suburb, I just prefer a smaller place, where I might be able to walk or ride my bike a bit and not drive all the time. Is that possible in Boerne? Is a nice place to live in general? I'm not incredibly demanding, I need a grocery store, some restaurants, a gas station and a relatively easy drive to a place that offers 'more' than that (you know book stores, Target/Wal-mart, Home Depot, etc.) I'm from the west, so anything around 1 hour is a pretty easy drive in my book.

And how are the schools in Boerne? I read that it's an independent school district, which can be good or bad, depending on the area. I have a kindergartener (well she's going to be kindergartener) and I have actually been toying with the idea of homeschooling her, but I'd like to know more about the school district before I make any major decisions.

So what do you guys think, is living in Boerne, working in SA practical? Is Boerne an expensive place? Is it a friendly place? Is there any sense of community there? I'm just trying to get a feel for it the best I can before I decide. I know that physically going there to visit and see is always best, but unfortunately I cannot swing a trip down there right now. And so I'm looking for any advice you've got!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 03:57 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
It sounds like it would be a good fit for you. However, during rush hour it can get backed up in a few spots that can lead to delays. Depending on where in SA you will be working (northside to near northside) it could be doable in under an hour. To give you some prespective, I can drive from the NE side (410/35) to Boerne with no traffic in 45 minutes. I haven't done it in traffic so I can't really express how bad it feels there, but I know someone will chime in.

The schools are excellent. As far as biking and stuff you definetly can, just be very careful on Main Street. Affordability depends on what you are looking for. If you want a house with lots of land to roam it can get pricey (for San Antonio standards) but if you just want a standard pre planned community home you can probably find something under 200k. From my visits there and the people I know I love Boerne. I think it feels like a community.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,233,689 times
Hello OP

Boerne is a very small town and the schools from what I gather from the moms around here are great. Boerne also has a very large and active homeschool community as well. You can check out there website BACH

Boerne is a very active community for children. Boerne Public Library has summer reading and two play type reading groups I believe. On the green once a month in the summer is movies on the green where you can bring your cooler and chairs and watch movies with the kids. If you feel it is too far there is Leon Springs and Fair Oak Ranch as well. But most of the moms I have met seem to commute from those areas to participate in some of Boerne's events.

Commuting is not as much as a hassle if you work on the northside of town but if you work downtown you are going to average a commute about 45 minutes to an hour dependent on traffic and weather.

I wish you all the best.

Old 06-12-2010, 01:59 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,249 times
Hi there... Just wanted to put in my .02... We live in a subdivisioned community just outside Leon Springs, entering Boerne... We have a Boerne address, Fair Oaks zip code, live in Bexar county and our kids go to Northside schools... WHEW!!! Lol...

Anyway, personally, I think a commute to SA is extremely doable, especially if you are only needing to go into town a few days a week... I am a stay at home mom, but my husband works and has to drive to downtown SA 6 days out of the week... He can get from downtown SA to our house at 530pm in apx 30 - 35mins...

The main traffic area coming home is at 1604/I-10 W... there is congestion at that spot from apx 415ish - 6ish... but if you stay in the right hand lane it should not be too bad... There is also a back road option that I often take when I find myself coming home at 5pm... It may add apx 10mins to your drive, but there is virtually no traffic and it is a very scenic route, so the added time does not bother me at all...

We LOVE living in this area and I especially love being able to go into Boerne at any given time of the day and never running into traffic... From our house it take 7mins to get to downtown Boerne and if we go towards SA in 10mins we can be at Huebner Oaks shopping center, so we are very centrally located between both SA and Boerne...

The schools in Northside ISD are excellent out here, we have 1 in elementary and 1 going into high school... Had we moved 1 mile up the road our kids would have been in Boerne ISD, which is also has excellent schools...

DM me if you have any specific questions, but all in all I can't see where you could go wrong living out here...

Good Luck!!!

Old 06-12-2010, 08:30 AM

5 posts, read 28,738 times
Oh than you guys! You're making me feel very good about this possible move! And thanks for the link about Boerne homeschooling as well. I don't think I would have found that one on my own. Now someone mentioned the commute time/ease as being dependent on weather...how exactly is the weather in that part of Texas? I've never lived in Texas before, and even though I was born and raised in coastal California, for many years now I have lived in Utah and Colorado, but I am assuming that Boerne is more humid than any of these places, yes? How much snow does it get in the winter? Does it get snow? Bad rain? Summer thunderstorms? I have absolutely no experience to base any image of San Antonio area weather on!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:29 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,968,249 times
I wouldn't be very concerned at all about the weather here... The last BIG snow we had was in 1985... 13 inches, I believe... Prior to 1985 the biggest snow we had was in 1971 or so... Since then we had a very small amount of snow in 1987 and since then only flurries every few years or so... We moved to our house in Boerne in Oct. 2008... That December we had a very light snow fall but nothing that stuck and this past winter (2009) we had an even smaller/lighter dusting of snow but again, it did not stick, at all... So to sum it up, there is no need to worry about snow, AT ALL, in San Antonio or Boerne...

In general the weather gets very hot and humid here in the summer... We are in the beginning of June now and have already had 95 - 97 degree days and the humidity has been high... We have had an unusually high rainy season this year, which personally, I am glad about, as we are usually in some form of water restrictions (for our lawns) by this time due to our lack of rain...

The main thing that many transplants worry about is flash flood... You really do not need to worry about that either... Yes, if we get heavy rains, certain roads in San Antonio will get water flowing over them, but they all have low water crossing gauges and as long as you don't drive down those roads, you will be fine... I think when people hear flash flood they have this picture of flood waters rushing thru their living rooms, and honestly, that doesn't happen with every heavy rain... Now, in 1998, we had a 100 year flood in San Antonio, and that was truly a horrible flood/storm... Many people who lived along river banks lost their homes, as well as people who didn't live near a river, just in low lying areas... However, prior to this, San Antonio had not flooded to that extent since 1921 or so...

As long as you move here with the mindset that it will be very hot in the summer, hot in early fall, comfortable-cool during mid fall to early winter, maybe a couple days of hard freeze in the winter, then back to comfortable-hot in spring, you will be okay...

Old 06-12-2010, 12:54 PM

51 posts, read 81,415 times
Summer days are hot and sometimes humid but the humidity isn't the worst. However, summer nights in SA can't be beat. When the sun starts to go down it cools and there's always a breeze. Summer nights are great for sitting outside and talking.

Old 07-20-2010, 07:19 PM

87 posts, read 186,139 times
This thread was great! Glad I found it. We're in SA now looking for homes. I start my job next week so we need to find a daycare for my LO (18 months old). We think we have decided that we are going to live in the I-10 corridor north of 1604. So- I checked out Country Home Learning Day Care off Boerne Stage Rd. and I think that's where we'll be putting her (very impressed by what we saw). For housing, we've looked at Limestone Ranch, Sundance Ranch and some property in Boerne. We think we'll be building. My biggest concern is my commute. I will be working near the airport- across 281 from the Quarry Market. My husband's commute is relatively easy- just right off I-10.

My question (now that I'm finally getting around to it): My planned commute right now will be I-10 to 410 then to 281 (then I'll quickly get off at Jones Maltsberger). Drove it today and it took 20 minutes with no traffic. How bad will it be at around 8:00am in the morning and the after work commute?

Thanks!!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:26 PM

6,138 posts, read 8,594,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrie1013 View Post

My question (now that I'm finally getting around to it): My planned commute right now will be I-10 to 410 then to 281 (then I'll quickly get off at Jones Maltsberger). Drove it today and it took 20 minutes with no traffic. How bad will it be at around 8:00am in the morning and the after work commute?

Thanks!!
You'll get stuck for a few minutes between 1604 and De Zavala. After that it should be smooth sailing during the morning. The evening, depending on what time of day you leave could get kind of rough as 10 gets very congested between Medical and 1604. You can bypass some of the congestion by getting over to the left two lanes as soon as you get off of 410.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:56 PM

1 posts, read 738 times
Hello all, I know resurrecting old threads is kind of taboo but I'd really love some feedback now in 2018.

How's the commute now?
How has Boerne changed since 2010?
What is known about upcoming commute changes and city growth?

Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio