Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 06:15 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You seem to think that Pabst has been a continuous going concern and that the Pabst of today is the same company as the Pabst that shut down their Milwaukee plant. It's not. The Pabst of today is nothing but a holding company that owns the rights to the labels and recipes.

Pabst closed its Milwaukee plant because it was geared to produce 20 million barrels a year but was producing roughly a million. No production plant in the world is going to stay open very long at 5% capacity. They closed the plant not to get out of any contract but because they were effectively going out of business.
Corrections:

1) Pabst has in fact been a continuous going concern. I had thought it was Stroh's that bought Pabst's assets and not the other way around.

2) The Milwaukee plant's capacity was 6 million. At one time Pabst's total capacity was 20 million, not just at the Milwaukee plant.

3) Nonetheless, by the 1990s Pabst sales had been in decline and it had way more production capacity than it was using. Thus began the great capacity liquidation bonanza, a process they evidently found beneficial enough to their bottom line that they kept right on doing it.

4) Today Pabst is responsible for about 10% of Miller's domestic production. That's keeping quite a few Miller employees on the payroll who might not otherwise be, plus it reduces excess industry capacity. A win-win, except for those who complain that all of the Pabst labels taste like variations on Miller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:18 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexican View Post
To me Pabst and Lone Star represent throwbacks to the "dark ages" of beer in the 70's and early 80's before the craft brewing movment took off and people only had a few beers to choose from, most of them poor quality watery American Lagers. Today we live in a golden age when there are literally hundreds of varieties of beer to choose from in many different styles.
There are very few true craft beers out there. Most are pretend crafts manufactured by the big three in order to appeal to those looking for something they think is unique or distinct...when in reality its not. OR they were once craft beers bought out by one of the big three where their motto is "If you cant beat 'em, buy 'em." IMO Lone Star is not on the same watery lager level as PBR, Natural Light or Schlitz. While it isnt Pabst manufactured, the beer itself has been able to maintain its integrity of quality and taste. I am a HUGE fan of SHINER (all varities excluding Light) not just for the nostalgia, but the taste factor and the variety is fantastic. Its a quality brew that is carefully crafted with quality ingredients. For other Shiner fans, Family Reunion is by faaar the best idea ever! MMMmmmm BEER.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 AM

291 posts, read 607,866 times
IMO Lone Star Beats Shiner.. though Shiner is good. Any beer that has been mentioned on this thread beats Budlight (water) and Budwieser (beer tasting water) miller light (water tasting beer).

Old 06-14-2010, 11:17 AM

20 posts, read 51,947 times
I'm not a huge fan of Shiner Bock, but I like a lot of their other beers like Shiner Blonde and Shiner Black.

Lone Star is the kind of beer I might drink with barbeque or while fishing when you need something light and not particularly strong.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:43 AM

291 posts, read 607,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTexican View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Shiner Bock, but I like a lot of their other beers like Shiner Blonde and Shiner Black.

Lone Star is the kind of beer I might drink with barbeque or while fishing when you need something light and not particularly strong.

those are my two favorite things!! hence my love of Loan Star. always where good times are

Old 06-14-2010, 06:44 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,011,692 times
PBR can be found in six pack cans at any Exxon station.. that is about the only place I really have seen it..

Old 06-14-2010, 07:24 PM

17 posts, read 34,966 times
I've seen it available at Pedicab, right next to La Tuna and across from Blue Star

Old 06-14-2010, 11:27 PM

334 posts, read 915,455 times
Schlitz actually has actually gone back and started brewing according to their original formula, which a lot of people loved: Schlitz returns, drums up nostalgic drinkers - Food Inc.- msnbc.com

So Schlitz in the can still uses the cheap formula derived in the 1970s, whereas Schlitz in the bottle uses the original formula.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:01 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,985,488 times
Being a PBR fan, I thought you might enjoy this picture from a friend's car...

It's a genuine Pabst Blue Ribbon beer tap handle used as a tapper at a bar that he drilled it out and re-tapped to fit his Toyota's shifter.

He was selling it for $40 + shipping, but I think he may already have a buyer for it...

Cheers! M2

Old 06-15-2010, 09:28 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,290,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
being a pbr fan, i thought you might enjoy this picture from a friend's car...

It's a genuine pabst blue ribbon beer tap handle used as a tapper at a bar that he drilled it out and re-tapped to fit his toyota's shifter.

He was selling it for $40 + shipping, but i think he may already have a buyer for it...

Cheers! M2
mas classy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio