Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 PM

87 posts, read 220,073 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been through security in the past few days? At least since all the media attention on the 'enhanced security procedures'?

The more stories I see about people being groped and the images of the new full body scanners, the more anxious I get for my next trip the week after Thanksgiving.

Any recent advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 08:26 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,043,826 times
I think it's a good thing. I don't care if somebody sees what I look like under my clothes. I'd rather them catch people with explosives shoved up their !@# than worry about what it feels like to be at 30,000 feet with a hole blown in the fuselage of a 747 that is plummeting to the ground.

Keep that in mind, and the rest should be of small concern.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Can you pick the person that is going to be "grabbing your junk" (as they are saying in Foxnews).
I'll pick anybody that looks 1/2 as good as those girls in Foxnews.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,186,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I'd rather them catch people with explosives shoved up their !@#.
The infamous scanners would not detect up such explosives.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:52 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,273 times
I travel nearly 350k mi a year on airlines and the new backscatter machines at SAT give me good reason for pause. I refuse to go thorough one, but luckily most of the TSA folks know me and don't hassle me more than they need to. I'm in and out in less than 45 seconds most of the time. No junk-touching required

Honestly, how much more BS are we supposed to take in dealing with the inching forward of a Government country? This isn't about terrorism anymore. It's about control. For most folks, they fly a few times a year and live in fear of another 9/11. I fly everyday. I don't worry for a second, but I certainly don't trust a machine or an hourly, mildly-trained State employee to make certain that I'm not going to end up at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

It's all a show. That doesn't mean I have to participate.

BN

Old 11-17-2010, 09:31 PM

61,632 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I agree with BN... this is all BS.

There are additional complaints of Nazi TSA agents conducting x-rated searches and assaulting airline passengers without any sort of just cause. They serve no useful purpose and they don't provide any sort of meaningful security function. Instead, these organizations serve the purposes of terrorizing and enslaving the American people. TSA is assaulting airline passengers for asking questions, strip searching disabled old men and performing other assorted x-rated searches. As outrageous as all of this is, it would be one thing if these security procedures were actually serving a real purpose but the fact that the Government Accountability Office was actually able to sneak bomb parts past these so called security checkpoints, shows what a joke the whole process is.
Security guru and scanner-suit plaintiff Bruce Schneier calls it “magical thinking…. Descend on what the terrorists happened to do last time, and we’ll all be safe. As if they won’t think of something else.”
GAO: Bomb Parts Snuck Past Airport Checks - CBS Evening News - CBS News

Last edited by elnina; 11-17-2010 at 09:45 PM..

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,770,225 times
I thought TSA employees are federal employees, not state employees?

Old 11-17-2010, 09:45 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,262,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Honestly, how much more BS are we supposed to take in dealing with the inching forward of a Government country? This isn't about terrorism anymore. It's about control.
This is what I don't understand...
Why are people outraged now, when the 1st scanners were used in 2007?
Did it take them 3 years to get outraged?

Phoenix airport to test body-scan machines - USATODAY.com - October, 2007

Security: Passenger body scanners arrive in L.A. and N.Y.C. - Budget Travel - April 2008

Old 11-17-2010, 09:49 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,551,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
This is what I don't understand...
Why are people outraged now, when the 1st scanners were used in 2007?
Did it take them 3 years to get outraged?

Phoenix airport to test body-scan machines - USATODAY.com - October, 2007

Security: Passenger body scanners arrive in L.A. and N.Y.C. - Budget Travel - April 2008

That's what I thought. I went through one some years ago (I guess it was 2008) in NY.

I was more annoyed by the fear of people who demand such procedures than the procedure itself.

btw - was in the new terminal for the inagural flight. Didn't notice any different security.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,470,334 times
TSA employees are federal employees and they are much better trained than private security. I don't have an opinion yet on the body scanners, but I would go through one to avoid getting groped. People are exaggerating though by calling this sexual assault. Assault requires intention to commit an illegal act against someone's consent. When people decide to fly, they are consenting and the security is just doing what's asked of them, not intentionally assaulting people. I think the scanners could pose a problem though for people who have to go through them a lot because of the radiation, otherwise the exposure is small.

One congressman wants TSA gone even though he voted for it and wants it replaced with private security. I can guarantee you that there would be a terrorist attack with private security. Security companies will hire anybody and everybody and provide little training. That congressman obviously hasn't seen how private security companies have horribly ran our prisons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio