U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 03:36 PM

7,605 posts, read 8,059,549 times

Advertisements

I have been with Sprint since they came to town. I have found their reception to be better than anyone in town. My mother and brother both switched to AT&T recently have been complaining of dropped calls and way late texts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 03:37 PM

374 posts, read 860,571 times
ATT drops calls all the time but they are the only company that covers 99% (not 3G) of the surrounding countryside so if your traveling off the main highways, you'll need to use them.
Sprint has consistent service where they have coverage and is a good choice but they have no coverage out of the popular hill country areas or some parts of S. TX. They are also not a self-maintained cell phone system and outages can take longer to repair.
T-Mobile, Pocket and Cricket are local but primarily metro coverage.
Verizon has nothing west of San Antonio so you're either roaming or no coverage. They do have excellent I-35 corridor and east.

The decision depends on where specifically you need the coverage.

Old 06-16-2010, 03:45 PM

7,605 posts, read 8,059,549 times
It should be noted that Sprint has one of the worst customer service centers on the planet. Thankfully most of what you need can be done on their website. There are those few instances where you need to call them.....prepare to play CSR roulette.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM

1,365 posts, read 3,963,302 times
Another vote for Sprint... While many people complain about their customer service, I have never had a problem the service... as a PP said alot of what needs to be done can be done on Sprint's website, but when I have had to call I have always had a good experience...

We have been with Sprint for years, atleast 10, and have never had a problem with reception... Also, if you compare plans, Sprint is pretty hard to beat... If you take notice of cell phone commercials you will notice AT&T comparing themselves with Verizon or TMobile, but you rarely, if ever, see another cell carrier comparing themselves with Sprint... It's because Sprints rates are hard to beat...

The EVO is a great phone... Keep in mind though that it will switch frequently from 3g to 4g, which will drain the battery... Also, there is an additional $10 a month to get an EVO... I forget what the charge is for though...

Good Luck on your move...

Old 06-17-2010, 06:46 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,300,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstxcop View Post
The EVO is a great phone... Keep in mind though that it will switch frequently from 3g to 4g, which will drain the battery... Also, there is an additional $10 a month to get an EVO... I forget what the charge is for though...
Thanks for the info. I just bought the HTC Hero four days before the EVO came out. I was seriously thinking about returning it for the EVO. I did not know about the extra $10/month and the 3g to 4g thing.

edit: Oh yea, I think I jinxed myself yesterday after posting about no dropped calls. I had a dropped call yesterday with Sprint. No biggy, but I thought it was kinda funny that I just posted about no dropped calls.

Old 06-17-2010, 07:19 AM

777 posts, read 1,433,967 times
4G coverage is what costs you the $10 extra. Gotta pay to play.

And toggling between cdma networks whether it be 3G,4G etc. is what is causing all smart phones to drain battery life. I have a samsung moment that switches networks often in my office. some days it drains, others it lasts for two days without a charge. not too much of a bother.

While the Evo is great, it's just like a computer being outdated.....already they're announcing newer better faster etc...phones for the near future.

Old 06-17-2010, 08:15 AM

151 posts, read 260,355 times
I've been an AT&T (Cingular) customer for about 10 years now and have never even considered switching to another company. Though that could be because I can be lazy about that kind of stuff. It probably is a bit more pricey than the others (Family Plan with 4 people is almost $200, though that's with Blackberry service and unlimited data/text) but it's been consistent and I appreciate that more than anything.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:44 AM

469 posts, read 1,022,948 times
We recently dropped Sprint for Boost mobile. We are still technically with Sprint (Sprint owns Boost) but without the contract. If you don't need the latest and greatest phone Boost is a great option. I love Sprint but we really didn't want to be stuck with another 2 year contract.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:50 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,933,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc hokie View Post
Both my wife and I use the iPhone with AT&T and have had no problems. I get great coverage all over town. I hear people complaining about AT&T's dropped calls, but I've never experienced it.
Same. I never have dropped calls with AT&T, nor does my husband. We won't switch - happy with the service, happy with what we pay for that service.

ETA: I've been with AT&T/Cingular/Southwestern Bell since I got my first cell phone in 1994.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:52 PM

382 posts, read 608,666 times
Sprint, hands down! Every couple of years I revisit the idea of switching phone services, and always end up sticking with Sprint. Sprint has the best plans and supportive customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio