Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2010, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 8,943 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just moved to SA and are having a hard time located an Italian style bakery. We are big fans of a product made called "lobster tails" and have only known them to be made by bakeries of this style.

Any help is appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 05:13 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,168 times
Hi I know exactly what you are talking about. It reminds me of another italian pastry my father used to make from scratch and my mouth is watering..Sfogliatelle. It's the clam shaped one. Unfortunately I do not know where to find either! Would love to know myself.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:29 PM

464 posts, read 804,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAgeek View Post
My wife and I just moved to SA and are having a hard time located an Italian style bakery. We are big fans of a product made called "lobster tails" and have only known them to be made by bakeries of this style.

Any help is appreciated
What you're looking for is called Sfogliatelle. I have looked in San Antonio and at the time I was looking, couldn't find any. But you can find them at Mandola's Italian Market in Austin (http://www.mandolasmarket.com/home.php - broken link).

If you're up that way, you may as well go over to Driftwood to their sister restaurant and vineyard, Mandola Winery and eat at their restaurant, Trattoria Lisina. They make Sfinci, a Sicilian dessert that resembles doughnut holes. Served with Honey and Pastry Cream for dipping. Trattoria Lisina is the closest thing I have found here in the Austin / San Antonio area to the Italian food I grew up eating back home. Give them a try.....

Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM

2 posts, read 8,943 times
we do go up to Austin from time to time and this will be a huge reason to get up their sooner than later.

Thanks so much for the info. I never knew that lobster tails had a different name.

Old 06-17-2010, 05:51 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,540,168 times
they are a tad different depending on the bakery. There are some that have lobster tails and they are called that due to the shape. The sfogliatele is more of a clam shape. Sfogliatele has the ricotta filling. Lobster tails have either a cream or a ricotta (varied at different bakeries). Hopefully the place in Austin has both!!! Wish we had one here though!

Old 06-17-2010, 07:00 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
OP: Looking for an Italian style bakery

... me too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio