Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 03:16 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times

Advertisements

Did anybody else get the Census Community Survey after sending in the Census? The envelope says that it is required by law to return it , just like the Census. But the questions are so personal, that its hysterical if it is actually real.

One of the questions : How long does it take for person one to get from his/her work, to the house?

Another question : When was your house built?

More questions: Where do you work? What is the name of your boss? Are you a legal citizen, resident, or illegal? How much do you make a year? How much does everyone in the household make a year when it is all added together? etc

These are just a few of the questions that left me speechless. They are so personal in nature, even I don't know how long it takes me to get from work to the house. I mean, who's counting, right? And am I seriously going to ask everyone in the house how much money they earn?

The letter said that only a few people would get this survey, entirely by chance.
Anybody else? Did you think that the questions were normal? Am I over-reacting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 03:34 AM

18,132 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Didn't get it,
but I wouldn't give them any information that I wouldn't give to my neighbors.

Old 05-06-2010, 03:52 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,431,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Didn't get it,
but I wouldn't give them any information that I wouldn't give to my neighbors.
But it says that its required by law to send it back, just like the Census did.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:45 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
If it’s anonymous, then answer the questions and mail it back!

By the way, according the the Census web site, it...

Quote:
  • is an on-going survey
  • is sent to a sample of the population
  • tells us what the population looks like and how it lives
  • helps communities determine where to locate services and allocate resources
Specifically....

Quote:
In their own way, the American Community Survey and the 2010 Census provide important pictures of America. They show not only the number of people who live here, but how we live as a Nation—our education, housing, jobs, and more. The information collected in each helps community leaders decide where schools, highways, hospitals, and other services are needed.
More FAQs can be found here (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/SBasics/acs_2010_faq2.htm - broken link).

Cheers! M2

Old 05-06-2010, 05:49 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Lie on the answers.

Yeah, I did. I may have to answer it - but I SURE don't have to swear that the answers are truthful. Someone forgot to read what "authority" the Constitution gave 'em......an' what it didn't.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:12 AM

872 posts, read 1,856,423 times
I got one similar to that but it was a politically focused survey (it was obvious). It found its way to the trash can.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:13 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
The only thing we're required to answer is how many people live in your household. Period.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I'm not a big fan of this information gathering trend that's been going on by the government recently.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:05 AM

841 posts, read 1,747,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
Did anybody else get the Census Community Survey after sending in the Census? The envelope says that it is required by law to return it , just like the Census. But the questions are so personal, that its hysterical if it is actually real.
Check out the American Community Survey & the 2010 Census (http://www.census.gov/acs/www/SBasics/acs_2010.htm - broken link) website to verify the authenticity of the survey. I received it in 2000, and only returned it after receiving a second survey with a "nasty" note about how participation was required by law.

I agree that some of the questions are too personal in nature, and I really have a major problem that the government requires you to answer these types of questions. And before someone says, but you put more personal info on Facebook, it is my choice to post the info.

Old 05-06-2010, 08:17 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
While I am suspicious of the motivations of the current administration, the government in general knows so much about my personal life that I don't get too wound up about a few census questions. I mean, I have to give them so much information for my security clearances and firearms licenses that there is really very little left to hide.

Plus, a lot of government services are based on the data derived from the census, it behooves all of us to answer it with the correct information!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-06-2010, 06:15 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Sorry - but it's none of their freakin' business. Ane when they attempt to threaten me with "you MUST answer", then I'll answer.....MY way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio