U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 PM

410 posts, read 808,808 times

Advertisements

I was considering Planet Fitness but I came across a bevy of complaints from www.consumeraffairs.com/health_clubs/planet_fitness.html

I came across this quite by accident while I was searching for basic membership costs. From all I'd heard previously, I was under the impression PF was non-contractual based but when I actually visited their website, it indicates that a credit card/debit is required yada-yada-yada. I'm afraid of joining and still being billed if I don't go in a given month (or two) Are there any local, non-chain workout places close to Seaworld that offer truly month-to-month options. At this rate, I might just walk for excercise. Have a good weekend y'all!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 03:47 PM

420 posts, read 1,016,318 times
Alamo crossfit might be what you want. Website said no contract. Contact them and ask about it.

Old 06-18-2010, 05:43 PM

27 posts, read 51,545 times
Ymca

Old 06-19-2010, 01:33 AM

592 posts, read 1,833,959 times
life time fitness

Old 06-19-2010, 09:27 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,020,797 times
I was mystery shopper for 3 different YMCA locations in SA a couple of weeks ago.

The YMCA on 281 and St Mary's charges $55 but two other YMCA locations only charge $40, and I think the majority of them only charge $40 but you have to call each individual YMCA to find out. The one on the Eastside and Westside only charge $40 and they HAVE a swimming pool. The one on 281 and St Mary's charges $15 more and they don't even have a swimming pool.

YMCA doesn't have a contract per se, but they require that you setup an automatic electronic-draft from your bank to pay every month. If you decline, then you have to pay for at least 6 months of membership in cash UPFRONT.

Also, every YMCA is supposed to GIVE YOU A ONE WEEK PASS so that you can try it out. Only one of the locations offered it when I was a mystery shopper.

So when you go to YMCA ask to get a tour of the place, and after the brief tour, tell them you would like to request a free one week pass to try it out first.

They also have a "scholarship" program (discount). If you qualify with your income you'll pay a lower amount then the actual amount and you'll automatically get the $99.00 joining fee waived.

If you have diabetes, also, take your medication and they'll waive the 99.00 joining fee even if you don't qualify for a lower amount with higher income.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:57 PM

554 posts, read 2,104,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntonianByChoice View Post
I'm afraid of joining and still being billed if I don't go in a given month (or two)[/color]
This is different than a month-to-month contract. MTM typically means that you aren't obligated for any particular length of time, and that you can stop your membership with 30 days notice. It doesn't mean that, say, if you decide to work out on July 3 that you go in and pay for the month, but if you don't want to work out in August that you don't pay for that month, and can start paying again when you decide you want to work out in September. You will still have to make a commitment of membership to the gym which will require a monthly fee until the time at which you decide to cancel your membership.

Old 06-21-2010, 09:23 PM

6,878 posts, read 18,211,587 times
YMCA! We are joining the Braundera one next week! :-)

Old 06-22-2010, 06:36 AM

1 posts, read 13,500 times
I go to a gym called Fitness 19 on Braun & 1604. It just offers nice equipment and really really low prices. No extras, but if you live down the rd. like myself, you should enjoy it. Its clean and there are not too many people there at all

Old 12-10-2011, 09:47 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,020,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I was mystery shopper for 3 different YMCA locations in SA a couple of weeks ago.

The YMCA on 281 and St Mary's charges $55 but two other YMCA locations only charge $40, and I think the majority of them only charge $40 but you have to call each individual YMCA to find out. The one on the Eastside and Westside only charge $40 and they HAVE a swimming pool. The one on 281 and St Mary's charges $15 more and they don't even have a swimming pool.

YMCA doesn't have a contract per se, but they require that you setup an automatic electronic-draft from your bank to pay every month. If you decline, then you have to pay for at least 6 months of membership in cash UPFRONT.

Also, every YMCA is supposed to GIVE YOU A ONE WEEK PASS so that you can try it out. Only one of the locations offered it when I was a mystery shopper.

So when you go to YMCA ask to get a tour of the place, and after the brief tour, tell them you would like to request a free one week pass to try it out first.

They also have a "scholarship" program (discount). If you qualify with your income you'll pay a lower amount then the actual amount and you'll automatically get the $99.00 joining fee waived.

If you have diabetes, also, take your medication and they'll waive the 99.00 joining fee even if you don't qualify for a lower amount with higher income.
Originally when I posted the above, I was just a mystery shopper. Fastfoward more than a year later and I'm now a member of YMCA.

I've been a YMCA member for about a month and a half now; I waited a bit to ensure that I had the opportunity to really see what they have to offer.

I'll post my letter I sent to YMCA corporate a few weeks back and then I'll add some more comments.

>>>>

Here is the letter:

Dear YMCA Corporate:

I wanted to send this email in the hopes that there will be some improvements made regarding information that is given to potential new members of the YMCA.

I wish to remain anonymous and not state my name or the locations involved. This is mainly because I do not want to get any employees "in trouble."

The employees I encountered were very friendly, nice and very supportive.

However, I wasn't given correct information on a couple of things.

I'll start with #1:
The joining fee should be waived for a "new" member when, he/she names a "current" YMCA as a referral member.

At two different YMCA locations that I went to locally, when I entered the referral information, I was not offered a waived joining fee. And at one location, I was told that only the current member receives a free month but that I don't receive anything.

However, on one of YMCA locations, there is a poster that shows that indeed the current member and the "new" member should receive a free month, and the joining fee waived respectively.

I have attached an enlarged image of this poster in this email (IMAG0576) and it clearly says in there that the current member gets a free month and the new member gets the joining fee waived as well. This was never offered to me at one location, and the other location said that wasn't how it worked.

#2: I requested a "one-week pass" at one of the YMCA locations. I explicitly asked for a one-week pass and the member said that they don't have that. Also, again, when filling out the "guest registration form," lo and behold, at the very bottom of the form it reads: Staff Use - 1 Day Pass, 3 Day Pass, 1 Week Pass. I have attached this image to this email. (IMAGE IMAG0431, IMAGE 0428).

I could understand if I had never brought up that I wanted a one-week pass; however, I specifically mentioned that was what I wanted and I was not offered a one-week pass. It's clear to me that since it's "on" the form they had me fill out, there was an option for a one-week pass but it was not offered to me for whatever reason. I was instead offered a "one-day" pass to try it out.

However, at a different YMCA location, I was offered a "3-day pass." Knowing that a 3-day pass "existed," I pressed one of the members for more time to try out the member services and she finally relented and offered a 3-day pass instead of a 1-day pass.

Even after all this, I do have praise for the YMCA. I was made aware of the "Open Doors" program through the YMCA. I think it's a great thing for individuals who can benefit from a discount in order to more so afford a membership. I did find out (from calling around) that one particular location is $55.00 to join and most of the other locations were only $40.00.

I thought this was particularly unnecessary especially since that location didn't even have a swimming pool. Fees for all YMCA locations should be the same across the board. One of the locations, shouldn't be more expensive than others.

If your goal is to increase revenue, then ask a wealthier hypothetical individual (Person B) who is making $65,000 a year or more to PAY MORE for their membership rather than asking a low-income individual (Person A) who only makes $15,000 a year to pay a monthly membership fee of $55.00.

If Person A were to apply for Open Doors, they would probably get discounted to $33.00 a month which is hardly a discount when you consider that Person B makes FIVE TIMES more income than Person A and is paying more but not all that much more when you actually compare the income-ratio of both individuals.

Of course the Open Doors program helps but for many, I believe it's still not enough (with 46 million Americans living in poverty, 1 out of 7 Americans currently on food stamps and with 15 million Americans currently unemployed) and fees should be the same for ALL YMCA locations, and not $55.00 at one location and $40.00 for another. That's not fair and that's not right.

From this point forward, I certainly hope that YMCA will make changes to benefit potential new customers and to ensure YMCA will be a leader in fitness and health for years to come for all income levels.

Sincerely,
Interested in Fitness in San Antonio

Here is their response:

Hello Interested in Fitness in San Antonio,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback on your experience at our YMCAs. Your input helps us to continue to strive for quality customer service and identifies inconsistencies that need to be corrected.

Our Member Referral Program is designed to reward and encourage our members to bring in their friends. With this program, we should have waived your joining fee and after you've remained a member for 30 days, the referring member would receive one month of free membership. I apologize that this was not correctly communicated to you. We will re-train our Member Service Representatives on the details of this program to ensure correct implementation and to avoid replicating the negative experience you've had.

We typically provide both one day and three day guest passes for those coming in who want to try out our facility. We also provide one week guest passes to large groups and pass them out at various events we attend. Our best practices are for our staff to accommodate requests such as yours to provide you with a great experience at the Y. I am disappointed that we did not welcome you to try out the Y for one week because this is something we frequently offer, especially if it is requested.

Our YMCAs do have varying fees based on location. Our Westside, Davis-Scott and Mays branches have lower membership fees than the rest of our 6 facilities. The Westside & Davis-Scott YMCAs are located in under-served communities and part of their membership fees are subsidized through grants and other funding streams. Our Mays Family YMCA is an 'Express-Y', which is a smaller facility that doesn't provide the same amenities as our larger locations. It is for these reasons that their fees are less than our other branches.

Our Open Doors Scholarship Program is there to help anyone in need to obtain a membership at the YMCA. Our scholarships are provided on a sliding scale based on income and expenses. The sliding scale is a guideline we use to determine the scholarship amount. If an individual or a family has been approved for a scholarship, but a membership still does not fit into their budget, we will happily work with them to find a way to ensure that they can become a member.

I appreciate your feedback and will work with our YMCA staff to improve our customer service. I will also communicate your input to our executive leadership team to take into consideration. I would like to personally invite you to be our guest and try out any YMCA for two weeks. My hope is that you will have a more positive experience during that time and that we can welcome you to our YMCA family.

Please feel free to email me with questions or additional feedback. I am happy to help however I can!

Thank you,

Amanda Gangawer
Director of Marketing & Membership Development
YMCA of Greater San Antonio
3233 N.St. Mary's
San Antonio, TX 78212

<<<<

What she didn't know was that I joined anyway. I really like the fact that you pay one monthly fee and you can take part in group exercise classes, use the equipment, and even use their "Activtrax" program to help you in your fitness goals.

The Activtrax program is like a computer-fitness trainer printing out the numbers of the specific weight sets and equipment to use on that day and how many repetitions to do along with the weight amount. It changes every time you input your workout so that next time when you go in, you'll do a different set, in a different order, etc.

You have to make a request for an "initial" appointment to have a consultation with one of their fitness trainers so that they can test your strength on the equipment. They jot it down, enter it into the computer, and voila, you have your very own customized workout plan with Activtrax.

Also as you'll see from IMAG0519 attached to this post, I received a letter in the mail stating that my membership fee will decrease by $9.00. I'm not sure whether this applies to me since I have a "city-wide" membership versus a YMCA specific-site membership. We'll see.

Through the "Open Doors" program, they do offer okay discounts. For me, a single-only household member, it seems that the discount amount is usually in the 40% to 50% range starting with incomes of 10,000 to 20,000 and then it decreases above that with higher incomes.

Also, they also take into account your "family size" when determining how much you will pay every month. It's important to note that just because you have 5 members in your household does not mean that they "all" have to join. If you choose, you can simply join for yourself only and list the total amount of household members in your family without them joining along with you.

If you have children in your household, each one of them will give you a greater discount. If you have more adults in your household you too will have a greater discount, but, you are required to provide proof of their income in addition to yours and any other adult in the household at the time of registration. If any adult is not working (for whatever reason), that adult household member is required to have a letter notarized stating that he/she does not currently work (at the time of registration).

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied!
Attached Thumbnails
Seeking gyms that truly offer memberships on month-to-month w/ no contract-imag0428.jpg   Seeking gyms that truly offer memberships on month-to-month w/ no contract-imag0431.jpg   Seeking gyms that truly offer memberships on month-to-month w/ no contract-imag0576.jpg   Seeking gyms that truly offer memberships on month-to-month w/ no contract-imag0519.jpg  

Last edited by xsa210tx; 12-10-2011 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-11-2011, 07:20 AM

173 posts, read 556,573 times
I go to Lone Star Crossfit off Potranco.....month to month fees with no contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio