Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:24 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,584,911 times

Advertisements

A lot of research! And brains controlling not emotions. Go in with a plan, number one on the plan...

I will not sign until I go home and fully process what they are telling me!

These are "Salespeople" they know how to make the sale!

Talk to the finance agent
Talk to credit unions loan department

Do not let desperation guide you. One thing we found when we were having issues was it was easier (and cheaper) to purchase a new vehicle.

Please research and post back also visit other message boards such as myfico.com. See what people are posting about credits and purchases, I was not aware of MyFico when we were researching but I would recommend it now.

Also you may want to purchase your credit reports and have them in hand when you are going out to research. Do not let anyone pull your credit until you are sure you want to hear more - you will have your credit report and perhaps your credit score, this way the pulling of your credit file over and over will not hurt you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,622,412 times
also helps to take along a male who knows mechanics when you go to check out a used car. i learned what i know myself from trial and error. since then, ive purchased 2 volvos, both are super reliable, one has awesome AC, the other was a work car (wagon, sold it).

you cant go wrong with volvos. just dont get one thats been abused. for the 2 volvos i purchased, i spent under 2400 and both were the most reliable cars ive ever owned. i still own one of the volvos today, but like i said, i sold the wagon i had due to not using it. it had over 320k miles on it and sounded like a brand new engine still.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 PM

417 posts, read 982,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikip View Post
Hello,

We really need a suv, crossover car but have a bankrupcty we have tried some lots and feel we are being ripped off. Please give me your advice on a good cash lot or places where we can pay down with a low note with good cars. I tried buying from a private buyer that sold me a lemon. Please give your advice we really need a good used suv,crossover or nice size car. Thanks
Sent a direct message to you.."you've got mail."

Old 06-28-2010, 12:29 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,584,911 times
^^ Does not have to be a Volvo, should be well take care of. I am a proud owner of Hyundais have taken great care of all of them. I now own 3, various years. I would trust any one of them. It has to do a lot with upkeep. Just do not show desperation when searching... take your time, do not let them go in for the sale. Stay in control.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 AM

413 posts, read 741,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Harmann View Post
I'm along the same lines as the OP. Looking for a mini van, want to pay cash, and no financing. Looking to walk off the lot for $5,000 or less. Last dealer I was at was a disaster. Car looked great on the outside, but after driving it for about 2 seconds, I realized it needed new tires and an alignment. After taking it to my mechanic, and him looking at it for 10 minutes, he told me no. The driver's side brake light was out. I'm looking for a dealer who will be honest with me, if there is such a creature.
I would gladly buy a car with those trivial issues. You made no mention of mechanical issues.

Alignment: $50
Brake light: $3
Tires $300-500

If you can get a good deal on the overall price, why would you hesitate on this?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:26 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,817,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
One thing we found when we were having issues was it was easier (and cheaper) to purchase a new vehicle.
How is it cheaper? You're in the hole as soon as you drive it off the lot.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:14 AM

93 posts, read 196,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheTruth View Post
I would gladly buy a car with those trivial issues. You made no mention of mechanical issues.

Alignment: $50
Brake light: $3
Tires $300-500

If you can get a good deal on the overall price, why would you hesitate on this?
Because the AC compressor was also going out, and I got a the greasy, slick vibe from the dealer. Thankfully, we've found a van we were more impressed with, that is older, but in much better condition.

Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,826,047 times
Hmmm....both our vehicles are used...oh, the agony. Wait - mine is 2 years old ('08 F150 CC Lariat) and paid for....wife's is 2 years old ('08 STS), an' will be paid for in another 6-8 months.

Man, I hate driving "used cars".....NOT. Trick is to find one in great shape, and understand that it may need a few things, so account for that during the purchase. I do NOT buy cars at the dealer, but from individuals or wholesalers. Buying from an individual is harder nowadays, since SO many finance w/ZERO down, are upside down on their trades, AND finance for 5-6 years - so the wholesaler usually gets the deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio