U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:22 PM

499 posts, read 678,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
You will love it up there! It's clean, safe, and yes, most of us who are not from here, love it because it is NOT typical SA.
This is the attitude that ticks off the natives. Statements such as these make the natives think these people are completely ignorant of the rest of the city. There are plenty of neighborhoods around SA that compare to SO. They are not on as large a scale as SO but just as nice, clean, safe etc. As a native I think SO is a nice area but then so are alot of other areas, some much older with much more tree coverage and larger lots some not to each his own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 03:16 PM

1,791 posts, read 2,436,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmac12 View Post
Sure, your traveling the opposite of the traffic, go on 410 w and 1604& 110 w
Your original post didn't specify direction.

I'll quote Homer J Simpson stuck in traffic for you, "I pity those poor fools on the highway. Gas, brake, honk. Gas, brake, honk. Honk, honk, punch. Gas, gas, gas."

Old 10-16-2010, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 20,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
This is the attitude that ticks off the natives. Statements such as these make the natives think these people are completely ignorant of the rest of the city. There are plenty of neighborhoods around SA that compare to SO. They are not on as large a scale as SO but just as nice, clean, safe etc. As a native I think SO is a nice area but then so are alot of other areas, some much older with much more tree coverage and larger lots some not to each his own.
That is the thing though... many new people to SA might not have the option to live in another nice area that might not be as large as Stone Oak because there ARE fewer nice homes available, as some of these great finds are tucked away with people who have lived there for a while. I really did look around much of the area and was SO disappointed that in a lot of the older neighborhoods with beautiful mature trees, a lot of people selling their home didn't take care of it and the home would require updating and plenty of work to be put into it. The good ones that are kept up well AND the person is leaving can be hard to come by! For someone like myself, it was important to me to find something that was "move-in ready."

I found the above to be true even in Stone Oak... the area is "looked up to" but there are still some homes that need a lot of work because people just didn't keep up with them. They might look great outside and alright in photos, but not so great in person. I think this in particular depends on the people that owned the home, not the area... you can find wonderful houses all over town, and one just needs to be sure to look around!

Alamo Heights is known to be a great area too. I just had a tough time finding newer houses out there.... and unfortunately didn't have time to build and had to look FAST!

Old 10-16-2010, 02:42 PM

10 posts, read 20,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I graduated from Reagan. (LOL, if some people read this and my handle, they'll be able to figure out who I am, haha) It is a GREAT school, provided that you take advantage of the opportunities given to you. There are brilliant teachers, although the administration gives a great deal to be desired sometimes.

There are some drug problems, but that's an individual parenting problem rather than anything else. The school itself is very diverse (NOT just Caucasians and Hispanics) and you'll meet all sorts of people there that you can make friends, or enemies, with. It's your choice.

By and large, I had a good time at Reagan, after I got over the culture shock of moving to Texas freshman year. I met good people, had great teachers, engaged in fun extracurricular activities and very much enjoyed myself. And yes, I went to one of the top Universities in the nation and shall be applying to medical school sometime next year. Many Reagan alumni will be very successful in what they choose to do in life. It's all up to them, but Reagan does help a bit, by being a good, competent school.

Good look to you and your children, y'all! (See, Texas taught me that )
I remember working with a young lady who was in college and just graduated from Reagan, and she bragged in a jokingly way that her school had many attractive people, but so many slept around and used drugs! Geez! I don't know if this is true or not, but I just remember her talking about it like it was great, although I'm sure she exaggerated some. But remember, there can be kids that do this ANYWHERE, and sometimes it's just kept quiet. Maybe it was just the crowd she was around (she was very much a partier). As the school itself had good ratings, I was okay with being zoned there, although we are zoned to Smithson Valley.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:40 PM

4,274 posts, read 6,634,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
I remember working with a young lady who was in college and just graduated from Reagan, and she bragged in a jokingly way that her school had many attractive people, but so many slept around and used drugs! Geez! I don't know if this is true or not, but I just remember her talking about it like it was great, although I'm sure she exaggerated some. But remember, there can be kids that do this ANYWHERE, and sometimes it's just kept quiet. Maybe it was just the crowd she was around (she was very much a partier). As the school itself had good ratings, I was okay with being zoned there, although we are zoned to Smithson Valley.
Well, I certainly partook in the sleeping around with beautiful women, which was very pleasant, but the drugs? Not so much, so I avoided those, even if some of the beautiful women I was involved with did. Their choice, not mine.

Of course, there are just as many kids out there who do not involve themselves in either, for whatever reason.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:06 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,171,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tUrRrRa View Post
Stone Oak... the area is "looked up to"
Really? How so?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:02 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,078,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
Really? How so?
It's built on a hill?

Old 10-19-2010, 10:57 AM

443 posts, read 1,359,470 times
Quote:
Really? How so?
you can deny all you want, and maybe some of the posters here...
but you and i and the other members of this forum, are not the representation of the majority or even the general public..
SO has a reputation, except traffic, as one of the nicer areas in the city... and mind you it's not self-proclaimed...i'm just simply stating a general notion...

and look, i'm not putting other areas down...

Old 10-20-2010, 07:09 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,171,706 times
Yeah, there's a reputation, alright. I, too, work with individuals from that area. 'Tis a constant stream o' praise from their mouths about their beloved Hageeland and themselves. The HotRodMan doesn't do stuck up.... or houses stacked one on top of the other, or massive suburbia, or the raping of nature for a financed dollar that cannot be paid back.

Old 10-20-2010, 08:21 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,078,072 times
Quote:
Yeah, there's a reputation, alright. I, too, work with individuals from that area. 'Tis a constant stream o' praise from their mouths about their beloved Hageeland and themselves. The HotRodMan doesn't do stuck up.... or houses stacked one on top of the other, or massive suburbia, or the raping of nature for a financed dollar that cannot be paid back.

oh. my. gawd. Enough already. This nonsense has been beaten into the ground so much it's eating chop suey in china by now. We get it. Some of you don't like stone oak. Hurray for you. Some of us think the rest of san antonio really, really, really sucks. Let's agree to disagree and move on already. It's like a bad sequel to "Groundhog's Day" for crying out loud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio