U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2010, 08:13 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,221,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC4u View Post
I actually wasn't the one bringing up the commute to the hospital but rather the wait time AT the hospital at the Medical Center/Downtown vs. Stone Oak's hospitals. I also was talking about the price point of Stone Oak vs. Deerfield/Inwood. It is generally more expensive to live in Deerfield/Inwood/Alamo Heights - and can't get as much home for $200k as the original poster cited, as you can in SO, with a community pool. N'est-pas?
Here's a pretty nice looking house (that would be fun to update) in Hollywood Park (right across 1604 from the hospital) for $204, on half an acre. Carole Sutherland Listing

For the record, I think that people should live wherever they like, and if SO is if, so be it. I agree with the poster above that some of the posters I read here don't compliment SO for what it IS, but rather for what it isn't. One of the posters on page 1 or 2 said they liked SO because it wasn't like the rest of SA.....and I STILL don't know what that means!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 13,296 times
Dear ksk11....since you're familiar with Indianapolis...Stone Oak/TPC/Encino area is very much like Carmel and Fishers. It's growing like crazy, and has great schools. Good people, and good shopping. Because of the fast growth, traffic is an issue. Nuff sed.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:44 PM

128 posts, read 376,813 times
OP UDATE:!

Ok, this thread went a completely different way than I had intended it to...lol..but thanks for "most" of the comments.

So, me and DH were out in SA for 3 days last week and went to about 15 diff homes w/our realtor. The first day was Stone Oak homes only and I have to say in our price range (under $210k)....they were...um...pretty crappy. Most smelled like animal urine, were not well cared for, too much updating and replacing to be done in my taste. We did fall in love with a home in Panther Creek that was gorgeous and well cared for..however, I guess the builder (??something Hartman?) was not that well liked so our realtor tried to steer us away from that house...plus it had a hilly driveway which could be a resale prob in about 3-4 yrs should we have to relocate again...and there were HUGE cracks in the high ceilings which would have to be repaired before we would sell in the future...so for now, we have to let our "dream home" go.

WE did like the Stone Oaks area, feel, and all it had to offer....except for the traffic and road construction, would have taken DH about 50 min easily from work and he just doesn' twant that right now. I did feel alittle nervous about driving with all that traffic on all those roads all the time, so our realtor took us to the Schertz/Cibolo area the following day.

We are closing on a home there in about 3 weeks; granted we don't love it like we did the other one, but its $20k less, EXTREMELY well kept, its 4 yrs old and seriously looks brand new; great looking subdivision, and the elementary school is just outside around the corner. Another prob w/Panther Creek was sure my DD would go to Wilderness Oak which I read fabulous things about...but I also read on their website that it is one of the 4 elem. schools in NEISD that gets capped and I just couldn't bare the thought of not knowing where she would go to school. The best part of our new home is knowing DD will be just around the corner at a new school that has great ratings as well...now should I get there and find out that is capped too..i'm gonna be PO'D!

My dh also didn't really love stone oaks being so "mastermineded" he likes well planned areas, but he thought it was a little too "unnatural"...i loved it, I love new things and tons of stores, so I don't really agree w/him on that point.

But..overall, what we saw in the short time we were out there, we really liked SA and are looking forward to becoming Texans Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

Old 07-22-2010, 05:49 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
I agree with your husband about SO! LOL:: But where you are moving too is FANTASTIC! That is a great area! Unfortunately I cant tell you much about the schools, but the area itself is wonderful and we loved the time we spent there. I think you will like it. Its very family oriented too.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM

1,097 posts, read 1,798,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksk11 View Post
Ok...haven't been out to look yet, but is Stone Oak a group of different subdivisions near eachother; grouping them together as one area?? Its not a town or anything, right?

Anyone live there and have any thoughts?? Buy? Stay away?

Anyone have any photos of the area they care to share? Would love to see what it looks like besides just realtor websites of houses...can't really tell much about an area with a home for sale photo..

I know these are fairly vague questions, we are working w/a realtor, just like to hear what people living in the area truly think. I know some will love it and some will hate it; always good to hear the good and the bad before you buy a home!

Our price range is 200k; so that limits alot of homes in the stone oak area, but there are a few out there now we are interested in.

Thanks!
stay away from this area!!! unless you like traffic..lots of it. I lived in Sonterra for 3 years and although its very nice, I could not deal with the traffic. Also I couldnt stand the way people drive there too...fast and furious. I like to call it Stone Oak of California.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:25 AM

128 posts, read 376,813 times
Johnts71 ---- we did!
Although it will be nice to visit on occasion, we could not really see ourselves living there.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:47 AM

487 posts, read 978,446 times
In my opinion, most homes you find in SO in the $210 and under range have a good chance of being "pretty crappy." I showed 12 homes in SO yesterday that were fabulous but were in the $300 to $350 range. Close proximity to shopping, restaurants, hospitals, child care, GREAT schools, and a quick drive to the airport convinced them to choose SO. They're coming from the Metroplex so they think our traffic concerns are laughable. (the September SS completion, the Blanco Rd. expansion, and new turning lanes at Heb & SO Pkwy, and SO Pkwy& Hardy Oak will help)
Stone Oak is not the end all for everyone but it works well for a lot of folks. But . . . San Antonio is a great place to live and and has hundreds of nice places to call home!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:13 AM

10 posts, read 20,607 times
I'd be happy to share my experience with the area, as I live right by the Stone Oak area (off of 1604 and Blanco) and plan on buying a house in the North Stone Oak/Canyon Springs area.

When I first moved to San Antonio, I noticed that there are many areas that I would NEVER consider living. Not to sound snobby or anything, but I just don't feel safe in many areas headed more West. I've been asked for money so many times and had random old men stare at me, which is disgusting, especially if I'm not drawing any attention to myself. Safety is a HUGE concern for me and I want to feel comfortable. I work along the Riverwalk, but I would never consider going by my work alone at night, as there are very many bums. I've even had one chase me! Yikes!

Anyway, I feel very safe in the Stone Oak area. No area is 100% crime-free, but crime is much lower here. The area is very attractive looking, with many nice neighborhoods. I agree that this isn't comparable to a large city setting, but much more suburban with lots of neighborhoods and shopping centers. San Antonio is more of a touristy/cultural type city anyway.

The Stone Oak area may cost a little more than other areas in town. Of course some of the decent areas closer to downtown will cost you more too. I noticed about a $20,000-$25,000 difference for a house West of 281 (Stone Oak area) vs East of 281 (Bulverde/TPC area). I just bought my home and was noticing a price drop to live on the East side of 281. Both areas seem nice to me, but I just found my perfect home on the West, and was willing to pay more since it was exactly what I wanted. If you live more inside 1604, you will find some areas that might be a little more expensive, and many that are less expensive. My price range was similar, and I was able to find my perfect home, which does not need any work done at all, for a 3 bedroom 1 story home.

Traffic is not the best, but I can honestly say I am willing to deal with it (especially since I have a new Camaro that I looove to drive). I would rather like my area and feel good about it than have a shorter drive. Right now at 1604 and Blanco, my drive is around 40 minutes to get downtown with traffic. I can make it down town in around 20 minutes without traffic. People that live outside of 1604 up 281 North often have about an hour commute to get downtown, but it should be better if you don't work all the way downtown. I find it a bit better to avoid that area during rush hour, leave work a little later, and take back roads (such as Stone Oak- also gets very bad after 5, so I would leave later, Blanco, Huebner). Yes, the lights get backed up too, especially Blanco since there is construction right now. Eventually 281 will be much better when they expand the highway, but this will go on for a LONG time I imagine! Maybe 10 years!

I read online that the average Stone Oak home is in the 300K's. Most other areas in down are in the 100K's for the average, so it is considered a nice area. There are multi-million dollar homes in the area, as well as more affordable ones. I'd say the Dominion is really the area with the big-buck homes though. I didn't find ANYTHING in my price range at this time other than LAND!

Overall I really recommend the area! For me it was Stone Oak/Canyon Springs (Canyon Springs is like Stone Oak, but newer and slightly north), Shavano Park (a small town within San Anonio, just a bit closer into town), or towards the Boerne area. I have lived near the UTSA campus and temporarily at the Medical Center.... I felt safe near UTSA but there are many students, so it was quite loud where I lived with lots of parties going on (now I can tolerate just about any noise at my apartment after that!) and I did NOT feel that safe at the Medical Center. My old car got broken into there... and I am quite protective of my new car!

Best of luck!!!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAggiemom View Post
In my opinion, most homes you find in SO in the $210 and under range have a good chance of being "pretty crappy." I showed 12 homes in SO yesterday that were fabulous but were in the $300 to $350 range. Close proximity to shopping, restaurants, hospitals, child care, GREAT schools, and a quick drive to the airport convinced them to choose SO. They're coming from the Metroplex so they think our traffic concerns are laughable. (the September SS completion, the Blanco Rd. expansion, and new turning lanes at Heb & SO Pkwy, and SO Pkwy& Hardy Oak will help)
Stone Oak is not the end all for everyone but it works well for a lot of folks. But . . . San Antonio is a great place to live and and has hundreds of nice places to call home!!!

I agree.... I saw a lot of homes just under $200k that needed a lot of work! For this price range, I bought a smaller home. My new home (I move in about a week!) is about 1900 sq ft, 3 bedrooms, 1 story. It was plenty of room for just two people though. This home was 5 years old, does not need any work and is move-in ready. For a larger home, I'd expect to pay more! You can definitely find something around $200k that is nice and larger on the East side of 281 though near the Villages at Stone Oak shopping center. I saw many homes closer to 3000 sq ft that were only a few years old and well kept up, for this price. I actually preferred a smaller home since it's just me and my husband, and we are leaving a ONE BEDROOM apt! We don't need a ton of room just yet

FYI, also, with my now 40 minute commute from Blanco and 1604 to Downtown (with traffic of course, sometimes I get lucky and less time), it will actually only be 2 miles more for me to live further out Stone Oak/North 281. Traffic wise, it should take about an additional 20 or so minutes, at least based on my other coworkers. My boss says that her commute is about 1 hr and 20 minutes, but she lives much further out, so I sure am glad to not be that far out!

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnts71 View Post
stay away from this area!!! unless you like traffic..lots of it. I lived in Sonterra for 3 years and although its very nice, I could not deal with the traffic. Also I couldnt stand the way people drive there too...fast and furious. I like to call it Stone Oak of California.
Oh boy yes to traffic! I have to say though, while I don't care for RUDE drivers, I don't mind the fast drivers.

San Antonio overall has a LOT of drivers who go the speed limit or even less when there is no traffic whatsoever. I came from Houston and this puzzled me. In Houston, you always go over the speed limit to go along with traffic. I get very frustrated by the people who go very slow in the left lane and don't care to move over. I also notice that many people stop at yield signs when nobody is there to yield to! Most areas don't have all the yield signs like this, so it's something to get used to. Some people yield properly, and some choose to stop completely and sit there for some time, which is difficult for those exiting, as there is a random car blocking the road just waiting! Just be prepared if you are new to the area !

Due to the traffic, I see quite a few people who like to cut in long lines at the last minute, and that does drive me nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio