U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 PM

3,705 posts, read 5,075,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish13 View Post
about 5 years ago when i had jury duty. theres nothing downtown that would make me want to be around all the homeless bums and gang bangers.
That's my favorite part!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 06:28 PM

2,261 posts, read 3,432,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish13 View Post
about 5 years ago when i had jury duty. theres nothing downtown that would make me want to be around all the homeless bums and gang bangers.
Ha! Wow. Don't get out much, huh?

Old 07-03-2010, 07:52 PM

2,447 posts, read 3,592,201 times
I have lived here almost 2 years, and have been downtown maybe 5 times.

However, I liked it, and never felt unsafe. I would be more worried about walking downtown in broad daylight in my hometown of 80000 people (Canton Ohio) that I would feel walking downtown or on the Riverwalk at night.

Old 07-03-2010, 07:54 PM

1,836 posts, read 2,088,300 times
I disagree totally about the OP's assessment of Downtown... And this is coming from someone who LIVES downtown and functions almost totally within the downtown/southtown area.

Parking is cheap compared to other cities of SA's size. There's always space available at Rivercenter's garage, as well as many independent lots on the street. Unless it's a special event, you can easily park for less than $10.

To me, the heart of San Antonio isn't the suburbs and certainly not the fashionable Stone Oak. It's Downtown. What's sad to me is that locals don't make more of an attempt to go outside of their comfort zone and support some of amazing eateries and local business that's opened down here.

I may be partial because I'm a downtown resident, but I've spent my time in Stone Oak, 410, I-10, Medical Ctr, etc. Don't be afraid of making the trek: San Antonio's downtown is thriving.

BN

Old 07-03-2010, 08:16 PM

3,361 posts, read 2,727,129 times
I LOVE being downtown. Problem is, I HATE HATE HATE HATE (did I mention hate?) getting downtown. Always one way in the wrong direction and parking seems virtually non-existent. I dont even care about the price, I just want to actually FIND parking.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 PM

1,634 posts, read 2,401,972 times
I've never had many probs with parking, except during large events. I think the main reason I tend to avoid DT is all the one-ways. Every time I need to go somewhere new, it always stymies me. I also find it easy to get turned around, though I really have no excuse as a native.

I used to enjoy riding the bus to downtown for an afternoon strolling or even just to grab a bite. Most all of the major lines connect somewhere downtown. In the eve/night, I prefer to drive though.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:31 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,985,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
I heard a radio commentator talking about this. He said that our downtown would be totally revitalized if the parking were just made cheaper (especially during the week). There would be more store spaces reopened, etc.

Yeah, and unfortunately, Central Parking System has a strong foothold on downtown parking. They manage the two large parking garages on Commerce and Market streets and two other caddy-corner lots nearby their garages as well.

Central Parking System charges $12.00 JUST to park for 2 hours after 5PM on weekdays! If they were city parking instead of privately-owned...they would be a lot cheaper.

I would just avoid any Central Parking System garages or lots downtown. They are ripoffs. It's not those parking attendants' fault though. They're just doing their job so don't get mad at them.

It's always the millionaire CEO and his corporate buddies that are reaping the benefits of all those exorbitant parking fees from around the country.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 07-04-2010 at 02:08 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 01:46 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,985,891 times
There IS cheap parking downtown but you have to look out for it. There's an inexpensive lot right across from the Greyhound right next to Bill Miller's and there are other scattered lots throughout the downtown area where you can park all day for a few bucks.

Someone should start a cheap-parking downtown thread!

The downside is, some of those lots can be out-of-the-way depending on where you are going downtown and how far you will need to walk to your destination. It just depends on where you're going and whether you won't mind walking for just a couple of blocks or possibly more than that.

Last edited by xsa210tx; 07-04-2010 at 02:06 AM..

Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 PM

2,878 posts, read 2,274,553 times
That's the main reason I very rarely go...the parking. It's gotten too high. Cause and effect...high parking prices or too far from where you're going even if you do find cheaper parking=less area residents go there.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:49 PM

693 posts, read 911,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
There IS cheap parking downtown but you have to look out for it. There's an inexpensive lot right across from the Greyhound right next to Bill Miller's and there are other scattered lots throughout the downtown area where you can park all day for a few bucks.

Someone should start a cheap-parking downtown thread!

The downside is, some of those lots can be out-of-the-way depending on where you are going downtown and how far you will need to walk to your destination. It just depends on where you're going and whether you won't mind walking for just a couple of blocks or possibly more than that.
For day parking, the lots by the Central Library and SW School of Art and Craft (Convent and Augusta) are only $1.50 a day and they are right next to a riverwalk entrance.

Or... you can park at the parking meters along Convent after 6pm for free and take the riverwalk to eat somewhere. We regularly do this when we eat at Acenar. We take the kids and there is always activity on the riverwalk making it safe.

I will agree that the city needs to make parking more afforable. Too bad they bought what a consultant recently said - that parking is too cheap. Right after that report came out, the Library parking garage upped the rates. Meanwhile, the adjacent private lots reduced the daily rate by about one half. Real smart, San Antonio City Council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio