U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 12:26 PM

3,705 posts, read 4,933,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm1101 View Post
I don't have a reason to go, this city focuses so much on accommodating the tourist and they forget about the locals. There isn't many nice lofts or condos downtown. There are a few high rise residences and that's about it. The sidewalks smell like urine, the river smells like sewer, and there is nothing but abandoned buildings. Not to mention that Downtown is overrun by ghetto thugs, no one wants to go down there and see that.
I was born and raised here, I've seen little to no improvement since I can remember. I hang out around the 1604 area (Legacy, The Rim, LaCantera, Stone Oak). Luckily I live near 1604 and Bulverde, so it's a short drive.
Daaanng pretty much named all the reasons I enjoy going downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 12:56 PM

862 posts, read 1,041,724 times
Depending on the length of my run, I can take...

Main all the way downtown (passing San Fernando Cathedral, the courthouse etc.) until I pass the armory & HEB HQ. Take a left at Arsenal, a right on City, and a left on Johnson takes you over a foot bridge (over SA river) into King William. You can go left (up to Turner admiring the homes and right) or right (down to Guenther and left) on King William to hit S Alamo and take a left. You will pass many great restaurants & shops, Hemisfair Park, La Villita, and the Alamo before heading left on Houston. Take a right on Navarro and then bear right at Auditorium Circle. You will pass the Muni Auditorium and city gov buildings as you follow the circle around to Lexington. Cross the street and enter the river walk extension by the Holiday Inn and head right. You will pass the SA Museum, the VFW, great landscaping, the Pearl Complex, Breckenridge Golf Course, then into the park. In the park you can run the river, pass the zoo, and head above Sunken Gardens.

There are no paths until you hit the extension, but the streets are great downtown for running.

Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 PM

862 posts, read 1,041,724 times
" I hang out around the 1604 area (Legacy, The Rim, LaCantera, Stone Oak)."

I find it odd that someone is proud to "hang out" at suburban shopping malls.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:26 PM

2,676 posts, read 1,842,122 times
I go only when I have people visiting from NE, maybe 2 or 3 times a year. We do the Riverwalk, the Alamo, Market Square, yaduh, yaduh, yaduh. I live in the northside and everything I need is near the 281/1604 area. Other than that, I have no need for anything down there. San Antonio is so spread out. It's actually like 20 small towns rolled into one big city.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:36 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,681,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebtx View Post
Depending on the length of my run, I can take...

Main all the way downtown (passing San Fernando Cathedral, the courthouse etc.) until I pass the armory & HEB HQ. Take a left at Arsenal, a right on City, and a left on Johnson takes you over a foot bridge (over SA river) into King William. You can go left (up to Turner admiring the homes and right) or right (down to Guenther and left) on King William to hit S Alamo and take a left. You will pass many great restaurants & shops, Hemisfair Park, La Villita, and the Alamo before heading left on Houston. Take a right on Navarro and then bear right at Auditorium Circle. You will pass the Muni Auditorium and city gov buildings as you follow the circle around to Lexington. Cross the street and enter the river walk extension by the Holiday Inn and head right. You will pass the SA Museum, the VFW, great landscaping, the Pearl Complex, Breckenridge Golf Course, then into the park. In the park you can run the river, pass the zoo, and head above Sunken Gardens.

There are no paths until you hit the extension, but the streets are great downtown for running.
thanks for the route dimensions... i think i'll give that one a go. about how far is that in total: main to the park?

Old 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,914,103 times
If you're saying one is better than the other, it's not fair to compare San Antonio to Austin in terms of transportation, nightlife, and accessibility (spread out vs not as spread out) because they are NOT similiar-sized cities.

I guarantee you that if Austin was the size of San Antonio, the can-do-no-wrong city of Austin would be facing similiar challenges that a much large city like ours faces. Larger cities like ours tend to have more problems because of our size and everything that comes along with that (more people, more traffic, more crime, more this, more that, etc).

When Austin grows to the size of San Antonio, then we can realistically see which one is truly better across the board.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:40 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,246,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
If you're saying one is better than the other, it's not fair to compare San Antonio to Austin in terms of transportation, nightlife, and accessibility (spread out vs not as spread out) because they are NOT similiar-sized cities.

I guarantee you that if Austin was the size of San Antonio, the can-do-no-wrong city of Austin would be facing similiar challenges that a much large city like ours faces. Larger cities like ours tend to have more problems because of our size and everything that comes along with that (more people, more traffic, more crime, more this, more that, etc).

When Austin grows to the size of San Antonio, then we can realistically see which one is truly better across the board.
I think the difference is that San Antonio annexes all its outlying areas, so "San Antonio" as a city is huge, but if you compare "greater Austin" - i.e. Austin and it's suburbs, it's basically the same as San Antonio. It's just that when we refer to San Antonio we talk about all of it as one entity. Anywhere else it'd be a small core with lots of incorporated suburbs.

Austin is different from San Antonio, but when you compare downtown/center SA with downtown/center Austin, the differences aren't quite as great as when you compare downtown/center Austin with ALL of suburban San Antonio.

As for downtown SA, as usual, most who have negative comments about it have limited experience. Those of us who live downtown, raise families downtown, enjoy downtown life and make the most of it.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:00 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,914,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I think the difference is that San Antonio annexes all its outlying areas, so "San Antonio" as a city is huge, but if you compare "greater Austin" - i.e. Austin and it's suburbs, it's basically the same as San Antonio.

I think the difference is It's just that when we refer to San Antonio we talk about all of it as one entity. Anywhere else it'd be a small core with lots of incorporated suburbs.

Regardless, I personally don't think it's fair to compare to the two cities as if they are very similar in terms of size because they are not.

It's just an unfair comparision (not saying you're doing this, just saying). Austin will be superior in certain ways because of its smaller size, less traffic, and less crime which can make it overall more appealing to people (no surprise there).

If Austin was the size of San Antonio (and spread out as well because of its larger city size), you would see them face a lot of problems that we face as a larger city. It's like the 15 year old bully picking on a nine year old kid. The 15 year old should pick on somebody his size.

I'm not hating on Austin as I'm sure it's wonderful city. Just irks me when people don't realize that it's an unfair comparison when they don't acknowledge these two different cities are not anywhere near the same size as one another.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 AM

1,479 posts, read 1,681,858 times
except it doesn't have less traffic... I35 corridor in AUS is rated one of the worst in the nation. They face many of the same crime problems, if not all, but city politics and demographics play a part too. UT has a large influence in this respect as well as the sectors of economy each city focuses on. Related to OP, downtown seems bigger, and it would seem the city brings more focus and investment to many parts of downtown, not just one.

anyway, it is your contention that the extra 100 sq miles in SA is what makes all the difference and is 'nowhere near the same size'? interesting... I suppose you could compare SAT from 10-15 years ago, but then it would probably fare worse.

I would surmise that if ATX grew exponentially, the core would not change all that much; it being a a tech, music, liberal, green, and local/'weird' city culture, but you never know! People that I know that grew up there say it's nowhere near as cool and authentic as it used to be. All I know is I've thoroughly enjoyed my experiences there from 2007 onward, hitting every major (and many minor) events and would love to move back but the stagnant real estate economy has me bound and gagged.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 AM

3,716 posts, read 5,246,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
Regardless, I personally don't think it's fair to compare to the two cities as if they are very similar in terms of size because they are not.

It's just an unfair comparision (not saying you're doing this, just saying). Austin will be superior in certain ways because of its smaller size, less traffic, and less crime which can make it overall more appealing to people (no surprise there).

If Austin was the size of San Antonio (and spread out as well because of its larger city size), you would see them face a lot of problems that we face as a larger city. It's like the 15 year old bully picking on a nine year old kid. The 15 year old should pick on somebody his size.
I think maybe I wasn't clear. I was trying to say that the whole "Austin is better" thing is comparing different parts of each city: it's comparing Austin's "core" with San Antonio's suburbs, simply because the City of San Antonio includes most of its suburbs, whereas Austin's does not (like most cities). The vast majority of people who rave about Austin don't actually live in its core, but in it's suburbs, but those areas have different names. The suburbs of Austin and San Antonio are, IMO, basically the same: anywhere USA.

if you only look at downtown vs. downtown, you'll have a more apt comparison. The cities are very different in many ways, and I'll agree that Austin's downtown/uni area has more to appeal to young 20-somethings than SA's downtown (it's uni areas are smaller and more scattered and less "uni-town" atmosphere). That's not to say SA's downtown isn't appealing - it just appeals to a different group.

That said, SA does have the "tech, music, liberal, green, and local/'weird' city culture" - it's alive and well in downtown/southtown and a few other parts of the city, it just gets ignored by those in the suburbs. In San Antonio downtown, there is something to do ALL THE TIME. Lately, there have been live music offerings just about every night with the exception of maybe Mondays, art shows, free film screenings at least 3x/week, and so on. And lots of weirdos And for most, I don't even have to get into my car. I'm a little overwhelmed by all the options.

My take on Austin, from a Californian who's lived in many liberal enclaves in other parts of the country, it's full of posers . Ok, that's a bit harsh. I like Austin, and I really like it's music scene, but as an outsider, the whole "wannabe hippie" thing is a bit too much of an effort. It just doesn't appear natural, but an attempt to appear weird.
{running and ducking for cover now}

(and all that said, the post is about downtown SA, not about Austin....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio