Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:56 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I heard a radio commentator talking about this. He said that our downtown would be totally revitalized if the parking were just made cheaper (especially during the week). There would be more store spaces reopened, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 10:09 AM

1,366 posts, read 4,486,155 times
I wish we went DT more... But DH polices the riverwalk from 10pm - 6am and the last thing he wants to do on his day/night off is go DT... The few times we go it is usually for a Majestic show or to take the kids to see the lights at Christmas or a few times to get together with friends on the patio at MadDogs... Thankfully we are able to park for free the few times we do go...

Old 07-03-2010, 10:17 AM

1,707 posts, read 2,982,848 times
I see a lot of people cite parking as a deterrent from visiting downtown.

I think VIA should ramp up its park and ride program with direct links to downtown. In almost every European city there are park and rides all over the suburbs that have links to the city center (downtown).

For those not familiar with the park and ride system, it is exactly what it sounds like... a place to park your car and ride from the suburbs into downtown. Bus fares are generally cheap and the system is organized and on time.

Using the park and ride system, you can avoid driving downtown, hitting traffic on the way there, finding parking, and spending to pay for parking.

I realize that there are already several park and rides in town but many don't have a direct link to downtown.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 13,687,247 times
After working near downtown for a year and a half my nerves have calmed in regard to driving downtown. I don't mind it too much anymore.

I have a hard time spotting areas of interest that aren't on the riverwalk if that's where I'm headed (bars or court house) but that, again, like the streets comes with going downtown more often.

Parking can be a headache, I understand that. For me it was the fact that I rarely carry cash and hated carrying big bills just to pay for parking. I've noticed that lots of parking lots now have little spots where they accept debit and credit cards now. I love that. And the fact that they print receipts (best thing for going to court and getting reinbursed for work!). The meters are also going to be like that soon, so so I've heard.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:47 AM

41 posts, read 88,933 times
I live downtown. While I do crave some peace and quiet sometimes, mostly I enjoy it. You won't find better restaurants anywhere! You know there is free parking available at the Blue Star Arts Complex. Park there and grab a trolley.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:51 PM

554 posts, read 2,306,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownSA View Post
You won't find better restaurants anywhere!
I completely disagree with this. There are some great restaurants in Southtown, but in the heart of the more touristy area of downtown the restaurants are fairly mediocre, for the most park. Sure there are gems here and there, but I can only think of a few places downtown that are worth me driving down there for rather than eating somewhere near my house. And, I'm not one to frequent chain restaurants either...I'm specifically thinking of local spots like Dough, The Grill at Leon Springs, Paloma Blanca, and some of my favorite Indian and Chinese Restaurants.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:16 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I love downtown SA!! Love it love it. Love the Riverwalk, love the busy street scenes, love it all. We don't get to go down there nearly enough.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:41 PM

5,573 posts, read 6,498,880 times
I live in the Helotes area, and I have been wanting to do the Park and Ride at I-10 & 1604 and take the bus downtown, but never got around to checking out the bus schedules, etc. I got my chance last Wednesday! I got a Jury Duty summons and it came with a free bus pass to and from. I work at UTSA and there is a bus stop right there, so I just parked my car and hopped on the Route #94 bus. It was soooooooo easy, and fast, even with a pick-up at the I-10/1604 P&R. Time said 7:15 (pick-up) -7:42 (arrival), the bus was right on! I got dropped off right in front of the Justice Center downtown. I went out at lunch and wandered a bit, Main Plaza is right there. I felt safe, the area was clean, there were signs directing people to restrooms, the Riverwalk, streets, etc. I took the Route #93 back, which stops at UTSA Downtown Campus, and Crossroads before arriving at UTSA. I will now be going DT much more often via the #93 & #94 buses.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:04 PM

23 posts, read 52,660 times
about 5 years ago when i had jury duty. theres nothing downtown that would make me want to be around all the homeless bums and gang bangers.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:46 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish13 View Post
about 5 years ago when i had jury duty. theres nothing downtown that would make me want to be around all the homeless bums and gang bangers.
It's obvious you don't go downtown much...

My mother was just visiting from Florida last weekend for my son's 13th birthday (the reason we at at the Tower of the Americas). She is from Jacksonville, which has The Landing, built by the Rouse Company back in 1987 (I was still at UF then and used to visit my folks a lot on the weekends).

Anyhow, she was saying other than the weekends, there isn't much of a crowd there during the week. I noticed the same thing at the Baltimore Inner Harbor (also built by Rouse) and a few weeks back I was in Norfolk and they too have what appears to be a Rouse-built called the Waterside Marketplace. It was within walking distance of our hotel, and I strolled over but other than a few people eating at Hooters and Joe's Crab Shack, the place was deserted!

My mom was amazed at how bustling downtown SA was during weekday evenings. About the only time I have been down there and it wasn't was very early on a weekday morning, when I've been there on business. I love that time of the day, it's quiet and cool and you can really take in the city during this period. But I love the activity as the city wakes up too, our downtown is just such a great place!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio