U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-07-2010, 05:45 PM

18,516 posts, read 15,282,381 times
The Alamo is world famous but every last visitor that I have brought there have come out disappointed. Yes it is better known but then people go in and then get the story of how we lost at the Alamo.

I guess people don't see the Alamo for what it was and wonder why would anyone in their right mind defend the place.

A lot of people don't realize that the battle for Texas was won at San Jacinto, not at the Alamo.

I was also going to comment on your distance for San Jose, but someone already mentioned it. On a related note however, everyone I have brought to that mission loved it. LOL, I think they should re gear it change up the story and tell people that this is the alamo and tell them this is where we won independence
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 05:54 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,121,599 times
I don't know why people are disappointed by the Alamo. I hear people complaining about it all the time. It's beautiful there. My only complaint is that they don't tear down the McDonald's across the street and all the buildings around it and restore it to the fort that it once was!

Old 07-07-2010, 06:17 PM

2,185 posts, read 2,890,406 times
Just one day? Stay in a hotel on the river (yes I know it will cost more, but the convenience is worth it when you have stiff joints like me!) and leisurely stroll the river attractions, restaurants, and now from what I understand - museums? You can easily walk up a level to downtown. SA has a great pedestrian oriented downtown.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:22 PM

5,098 posts, read 4,381,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarichie75 View Post
If you had only one day to spend in San Antonio, what would you have to do and see?
honestly? i'd have chacho's for breakfast and lunch, las palapas for dinner and probably just walk around downtown all day and head up to the rim for a movie

not a big fan of the riverwalk, but i would like to see the alamo one more time.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
honestly? i'd have chacho's for breakfast and lunch, las palapas for dinner and probably just walk around downtown all day and head up to the rim for a movie

not a big fan of the riverwalk, but i would like to see the alamo one more time.
cheapo

but I agree, not many of my friends are fans of the riverwalk. it is something for tourists. SOmething about eating near a big drain with huge crouwds attracts them

Old 07-07-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I don't know why people are disappointed by the Alamo.
its rather small and plain. apart from the entrance there is nothing to shout about.

Its been about 10 years since I first saw it, but I think my reaction was the same. I betcha I was disappointed

Between all those businesses it looks like a fancy warehouse.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:55 PM

8,295 posts, read 12,496,450 times
If you really want to enjoy the Alamo, go very early in the morning (around sunrise). Every once and I while, when I am downtown early, I do that. I sit on the wall across from the entrance and just gaze at it. I think about the battle there, the Texans that lost their lives during it, and how their stand allowed Houston to position his forces to eventually defeat General Santa Anna.

The Alamo represents Texas independence, and is rightfully held in the highest regard. Those who are "disappointed" don't understand its significance on this great state, and any criticisms towards how it "looks" are pure ignorance!

The same people revel and sing the praises of high-rise buildings and skylines, but are clueless when it comes to this Texas landmark. That's sad...

Old 07-07-2010, 08:42 PM

13 posts, read 20,437 times
I think the people who are disappointed with the Alamo expect it would be much larger - at least that's what I hear from the people I have taken there over the years. In our world where bigger is supposedly better, it appears hard to appreciate the small. Perhaps some thought should be about the huge drama that occurred there. However one thinks about the motivations of each side in that battle, you gotta appreciate the drama. The Alamo is iconic and to miss it on your one day in San Antonio is a real miss IMO. Kind of like driving through southeastern PA and blowing off a visit to Gettysburg.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:54 PM

4,076 posts, read 6,430,839 times
People who are disappointed by the Alamo are just surprised to see it surrounded by the city (as if it wasn't the central location of San Antonio, duh.) The other missions are probably what they are expecting since those are in a rural/undeveloped part of the city.

But some people are attracted to the city lights, and they probably are fine with the Alamo where it is.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 PM

4,076 posts, read 6,430,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post

I would not want to eat Mexican food three times in one day if I had the choice. Mix the rest of the day with some barbecue, Italian, or something else one would like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio