Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,668,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Haircut place, liquor store, pizza, sub, cleaners, Thai, Starbucks, Karate joint, small Mexican place - over and over.

What else is there?

If you go up Bandera from 410, lots of Strip mall spaces. Same on 1604.
Are you sure you're not talking about strip malls on Potranco? With 11 strip malls, they have the same mix...and many empty spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 07:33 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
My guess is when the economy picks back up the strip malls will start to fill up somewhat and urban sprawl will start taking place again in Helotes. Once Helotes gets ruined by urban sprawl Walmart will get their foot in the door finally. That big elevated freeway that feeds traffic in and out from NW 410 will help a lot with that. They didn't build that just for the convenience of the people that live out that way now. I'm sure the plan is to pump as many cars into that area as possible. Pave Baby Pave!

Old 07-08-2010, 08:01 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
Heck, some paving would be nice...specifically where all the "vehicular fornication"* occurs during rush hour at 1604 and Braun Road...

Cheers! M2

* - Bonus points if anyone can identify the 1994 movie from which that term was derived! Double bonus points if you can name the actor/"singer" who said it!

Old 07-08-2010, 09:39 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,587,870 times
I'm drawing a blank on "Vehicular Fornication". So is Mr.Google No bonus points for me.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Heck, some paving would be nice...specifically where all the "vehicular fornication"* occurs during rush hour at 1604 and Braun Road...

Cheers! M2
That explains why you made this video.

Paved Paridise (Big Yellow Taxi) - Bing Videos

Old 07-09-2010, 05:36 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,987,315 times
So, a little less concrete is a better environmental solution than the endless line of cars stacked up spewing exhaust into the atmosphere because of the poor traffic engineering situation?

Plus, I wouldn't put much faith in a video where the guy who made it doesn't even know that the song is originally by Joni Mitchell!

Old 07-09-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
So, a little less concrete is a better environmental solution than the endless line of cars stacked up spewing exhaust into the atmosphere because of the poor traffic engineering situation?

Plus, I wouldn't put much faith in a video where the guy who made it doesn't even know that the song is originally by Joni Mitchell!
Couldn't help myself and Joni Mitchell's song came to mind (I liked her singing) after reading your paving remark (though I agree with you on this one). I only picked this video for the whimsical graphics. He's way too young to know Joni Mitchell (never heard of Counting Crows though).

BTW: I'll take Helotes strip malls anytime over Potranco's!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:22 PM

13 posts, read 34,254 times
Does anyone know what is going on with the short lived Old Town Grill & BISTRO (formerly the wonderful Hickory Hut)? There are a couple of big dumpsters in the parking lot and it appears they are taking stuff out of the place. I wonder if someone bought it who plans to do something with it other than re-open the place as a restaurant. If Town Grill went belly up - well, obviously it did - it seems any lienholders would have already taken their stuff out of there. Hope I'm staying on topic here - but it does involve "stripping."

Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 AM

191 posts, read 454,302 times
I'm really glad there aren't any box store strip malls in Helotes. San Antonio seems to have the same strip mall every 4 miles (HEB, Target, Lowes, Home Depot, that burger place and the BBQ place) over and over ad nauseum, so it's nice that Helotes has a more small town, country feel. It's one of the reasons we opted to buy out there. That and the view. There's that strip mall just on the other side of 1604 anyway, so it's not like Helotes even needs one.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
I've always been afraid of Helotes turning into another Stone Oak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio