Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 12:39 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Missouri I would always buy in Walmart
unless I went to Aldi's that is where people from trailer park and ghetto's go to buy their food.

I've been amazed at how cheap things are at HEB
and keep on wondering how HEB can compete with Walmart, since Walmart gets everything from China.

Does anybody have an idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 AM

2,649 posts, read 7,440,762 times
One thing is that HEB is privately owned, you don't have stockholders to impress. You don't have to have a high priced corporate team. HEB buys as much as it can from Texas sources, and only serves Texas and Northern Mexico so you don't have huge transportation costs.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:21 AM

434 posts, read 1,123,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
unless I went to Aldi's that is where people from trailer park and ghetto's go to buy their food.

and keep on wondering how HEB can compete with Walmart, since Walmart gets everything from China.

That was not a very nice comment. Thank goodness there are places like Aldi's where people who may not be as well off as apparently you are, can go and find some things that they may be able to afford....And by the way, I would go to Aldi's on occasion and never found anything that I bought there to be of lesser quality. I by no means lived in the ghetto, I lived in a beautiful area on a lake.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:20 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Walmart gets everything from China.
Another intelligent remark.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:30 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
Because Walmart isn't always as cheap as their ads try to tell you they are. You have to shop around.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:51 AM

190 posts, read 524,278 times
Quote:

Wow... what an insensitive comment!

I'm also from Missouri, and I LOVED Aldi's! I'm neither from the trailer park nor the ghetto's (if people from those places shop Aldi's... then WHY did they build one in Overland Park, KS... home of the very wealthy in KC?!). Aldi's carried a ton of good stuff, and if we could save money, then so be it!

I actually don't always think HEB has the best prices, IMO.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybeccaz View Post
Wow... what an insensitive comment!

I'm also from Missouri, and I LOVED Aldi's! I'm neither from the trailer park nor the ghetto's (if people from those places shop Aldi's... then WHY did they build one in Overland Park, KS... home of the very wealthy in KC?!). Aldi's carried a ton of good stuff, and if we could save money, then so be it!

I actually don't always think HEB has the best prices, IMO.

I've never been to an Aldi's but have read about it and agree with everything you said, down to the HEB prices. I actually end up spending $3-5 more when I shop at HEB. Even though they do have a few more things than HEB on occasion they do not always have the biggest available sizes in some things. I love buying jumbo size shampoos and giant boxes of cereal and HEB rarely, if ever has those in stock.

I'd like to find that cheap HEB that Dopo shops at.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:12 AM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I always overspent at HEB and found their "in store" coupons to be a joke. I actually save more money at Target, sometimes using their coupons in combination with coupons from the paper. I am not a fan of HEB and the monstrosity it has turned into. IMO HEB is most certainly not the best deal in town and I rarely went home a hero with my $100 grocery bill which consisted of bread, cheese, and milk (or at least it felt that way) The personal care products are pretty expensive too in comparison to Target and Walmart, and even their own brand sometimes ends up costing more than the name brand which doesnt make much sense to me. Occasionally I have run into the Valley Hi HEB for a quick item (ok, beer) and I noticed the other day this particular HEB started selling "Organic" and "Central Market" stuff....this is kinda a big deal since Valley Hi HEB mostly consisted of Tampico and FUD products. So, I will give them some props for giving SWsiders a little more credit.

Off topic, but when we had the misfortune of living in Wichita, KS we shopped at "Food 4 Less" where literally everything was dented and or a day from expiration.....now while we were probably considered "ghetto" (I prefer hood) there were plenty of well to do people loading their own cheap groceries into their BMWs and Lexus' on any given day of the week. People of all economic backgrounds are looking for a good deal.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
For what I purchase, I have found that HEB is cheaper than the SuperWalmart food section.

Also, there are not very many SuperWalmart locations in the city compared to HEB, so you have drive further out making it less convenient than going to an HEB. Also, driving farther and wasting more gas, can negate a good deal or deals you find since you might be spending more money on gas just to get there rather than going to an HEB close by.

The only good deal that I have found at SuperWalmart is their low-priced apple juice. From what I remember, a couple of weeks ago, it goes for about $1.80 something for a Great Value (generic version, but still VERY delicious and good) gallon of 100% apple juice, which is the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

For the most part, for the foods I purchase, they are usually more expensive at SuperWalmart than HEB.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
I routinely shop HEB Wal-Mart and Target. I can't think of a single item I buy regularly that HEB sells for less than both of the other two... not one thing. There are items I like that are only sold at HEB, which is the main reason I shop there regularly. If I was purely shopping for low prices, I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't on a coupon at HEB. IMO, the coupon items are the only consistent bargains at HEB. Everything else is priced at what the market in that part of town will bear.

I also disagree mightily with the crack about Aldi shoppers being ghetto and trailer park dwellers. I used to shop at Aldi occasionally when I lived up north in the 90s. Aldi had some consistently amazing prices on things. 10-cent loaves of bread and packages of buns. Canned corn and canned beans for a quarter. Aldi also had fresh produce, so it was not all canned and processed foods that promote obesity, like you'd see at a dollar store. I believe Aldi's prices have gotten higher than that now, but those were some serious bargains. I look forward to Aldi's arrival in San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio